CITES Restrictions on Guitars to be Over Soon!

RAG7890

Reaction score
Well, does CITES have problems with ebony? If not, it is the best fretboard wood there ever was!
No it doesn’t but no doubt it will do in the future.

IMHO I think it should as long as we don’t have stupid Laws when it comes to Musical Instruments.

:cheers2:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Rag,

With the small amount of wood used on guitar fret boards of guitars and other string instruments, I think these laws are stupid as well. But if ebony is not restricted, and as striped ebony has become available as per Bob Taylor, I think guitar manufacturers are just ripping us off using "shit wood" for fretboards when ebony (especially stripped ebony) is available and legal. Rosewood? I have an 09 Epiphone LP that is a good guitar, EXCEPT that the rosewood board has such an open grain that it pisses me off. I have a Korean made Tele I bought in 16 with a rosewood board that is as tight grained and dark as ebony, so I guess good rosewood is still to be had in Asia. But now, I won't buy a guitar (without personal examination) that doesn't have an ebony board.

Sharky

Reaction score
With the small amount of wood used on guitar fret boards of guitars and other string instruments, I think these laws are stupid as well.
2.47 million guitars sold in the US each year is a remarkable number. Couldn't find global sales numbers but they will be at least twice as much, so this is not neglectable and highly demanded wood species need to be protected and harvested sustainable. Otherwise you'll be using richlite on every guitar in the near future

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2.47 million guitars sold in the US each year is a remarkable number. Couldn't find global sales numbers but they will be at least twice as much, so this is not neglectable and highly demanded wood species need to be protected and harvested sustainable. Otherwise you'll be using richlite on every guitar in the near future
Let alone how much wood is tossed out to achieve a desirable 24" board. I'm sure far more gets thrown away than used.

ONEHERO

Reaction score
but in this number, there are many species of wood other than the “endangered” ones

Xrun Morzov

Reaction score
It's done, 11/26!
YEP!

Last edited: