CITES Frustration (Solved)

Luboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I found a '13 R8 in a town nearby and settled for that (sub 3k). not the lightest or most amazing top but a good player for sure. Might do a NGD soon. No more CITES whining at this point.

Vintager

Reaction score
See, it took you less than two weeks to track down a RI. The used market is quite big it just takes a bit of patience. Me being a lefty and in the EU, it took me 1 year and a few months!!! to track down, persuade a seller to ship and buy a vintage lefty LP. :doh:

Luboy

Reaction score
no, as I wrote several times now, the R8s sell for around 2.5 k and sometimes even less
Hardly ever seen a 2013+ for that price. Unless the frets are run down or the seller is desperate. most 2.5k or less are pre-2009. of course you can negotiate down to 2.5k or less, but most refuse to budge because they know that a bunch more are selling 00s used guitars for 3k+.

Luboy

Reaction score
See, it took you less than two weeks to track down a RI. The used market is quite big it just takes a bit of patience. Me being a lefty and in the EU, it took me 1 year and a few months!!! to track down, persuade a seller to ship and buy a vintage lefty LP. :doh:
two weeks since I posted, months otherwise :). lefty is tough yeah.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Congrats, luboy. Piping in late, but buying a Historic used is the way to save some money and not pay the hefty outlay for brand new. You just require patience and good luck. Part of the fun is serendipitous finds. And you don't really pay full VAT on used guitars, when you get it from a private seller. It is reduced commensurately on a used guitar in the transacted price. I don't know if VAT is collected on second-hand goods sold by a VAT-registered business.

Anyway, I see that you scored a 2013 R8! Historic owners in the EU are like other owners around the world: those who buy new hold them for a bit and then sell them on when something new comes up. This is the best time to grab one when you don't have to have the latest and newest model year.

Enjoy your New Old 2013 R8. You will lose little to nothing at all when you decide to sell it on. Buy used whenever you can. Don't worry because somebody will always buy one new sometime. Maybe even you someday.

armoredveh

Reaction score
All,

I found a person in the EU (Germany) who's gone through the hassle of getting the CITES document. We've negotiated and agreed upon a price, but will I have to pay custom's duty when importing it back into the US?

Luboy

Reaction score
All,

I found a person in the EU (Germany) who's gone through the hassle of getting the CITES document. We've negotiated and agreed upon a price, but will I have to pay custom's duty when importing it back into the US?
no they won't if it is described as 'made in the US'. if the sender marks it as 'US goods returned' it should be alright. if you don't point that out, they'll tax it. depending on the shipping service you use, there may still be other taxes.