Chris Rea's tone here..... how?!?

morbidalex666

Reaction score
my best guess would be strat with relatively dark pickups, tone rolled off a bit - boss compressor (I've seen vid of him actually showing it) - bluesy overdrive (like a boss blues driver) - into a fender amp set mellow or a JC120 ( I've seen him use both)

cheers!

freefrog

Reaction score
His "Pinky" L series Strat is meant to feature pickups whose "out of phase" positions (positions 2 and 4) are loud sounding and more "feathery" than "biting".

In the vid above, he also plays through a pretty long cable, whose capacitance certainly darkens his sound (this "stray capacitance" parm can have a dramatic influence on Strat sounds: I use it as a tone shaping tool for decades)...

That being said: it's a tune that I play periodically on stage since the 80's. I've never found "that" difficult to be tonally in the ballpark with a run of the mill Strat feeding a Fender (or Fender style) amp through a TS - that Chris also uses, if memory serves me, along with a pair of Fender Blues Jr combo's, if we believe his most recent interviews. FWIW (= 2 cents)... :)