Chris Buck bought an EGF1200!

Phil W

Reaction score
Mr Buck is a guitar great up there with the classic players in my opinion.
In answer to his own question: 'FAKE!'
A Japanese Les Paul copy is not a Gibson Les Paul BUT my 2011 R9 with Gibson Les Paul written on it and made by a company called Gibson is also not a Gibson Les Paul because Henry's Gibson was not Ted's Gibson.
You pays your money and ...

BDW60

Reaction score
A Ford is a Ford no matter who owns the company.

A Greco with a Gibson logo on it is a fake Gibson no matter how good it is. Any guitar manufactured by Gibson is a Gibson. It’s really not that complicated.

Phil W

Reaction score
A Ford is a Ford no matter who owns the company.

A Greco with a Gibson logo on it is a fake Gibson no matter how good it is. Any guitar manufactured by Gibson is a Gibson. It’s really not that complicated.
If a Chinese Les Paul copy was crticised for years but then that Chinese company bought Gibson and was legally able to brand that same rubbish Chibson as a Gibson would you call it a Gibson Les Paul?

MCT

Reaction score
I'm with Phil on this one. Saying a Les Paul studio is a "real Gibson Les Paul" and an EGF-1200 only makes sense in the world of intellectual property...which isn't to knock on intellectual property. But it's totally distinct from looking at the historical accuracy of the guitars' construction, vintage correct parts, etc., which I think is Phil's point.

Last edited:

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before this thread goes south, somewhere in this guitar's history they changed the logo.

Does not make it right, but that is just how it happened.

Please just appreciate nice playing with a nicely refinished (sans logo) EGF1200 from 1980.

Maybe we should help him out and ask him to change it back to Greco and Super Real.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I'll have to disagree here.
When CBS bought Fender, was it still Fender?
When Norlin bought Gibson, was it still Gibson?
When Gibson bought Epiphone, was it still Epiphone?
When Gibson bought Kramer, was it still Kramer?
When Fender bought Ovation, was it still Ovation?
When Ford ( I think it was.) bought Jaguar, was it still Jaguar? (Sh!tty years, both metric and standard bolts on the same friggen part!)
When Taa Taa (Indian Company) bought Jaguar, was it still Jaguar? (Fantastic years!)

The answer to everything above is yes. Was it the SAME company? That's a matter of interpretation. Everybody whined about the Norlin years, or the post CBS years, and yet, they command stupid amounts of money. And some damn fine pieces came out of those years/decades.
So if a Chinese conglomerate bought Gibson would it still be Gibson. Yes. Would it be the same Gibson we know and love, that would depend on how they run it. Might even be better then what we have today. :wow:

R1sky

Reaction score
Sounds great, you can really hear that clarity and sustain in the dryZ, the whizz I find a little brittle actually, I’d would of liked to hear the treble dryZ.

Shame we didn’t get to see more close up detail as that’s what all us MIJ junkies we’re all here for :fingersx:

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
If a Chinese Les Paul copy was crticised for years but then that Chinese company bought Gibson and was legally able to brand that same rubbish Chibson as a Gibson would you call it a Gibson Les Paul?
Sure, it would be a Gibson Les Paul. Probably not one I would buy, but ...

GBLEV

Reaction score
It's all about being a Les Paul style of guitar and not the name on the headstock. Because when your playing it, that doesn't matter.

MCT

Reaction score
So if a Chinese conglomerate bought Gibson would it still be Gibson.
Ah, but would it still be a Les Paul just because it said so on the headstock, but they got rid of the top carve, made it a one piece alder body, etc?

GBLEV

Reaction score
Ah, but would it still be a Les Paul just because it said so on the headstock, but they got rid of the top carve, made it a one piece alder body, etc?
Would that not be another fashion of a Les Paul Special?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Car styles changed over the years but the make and model names didn't :rofl:

Latest Threads