Choosing a Les Paul just got harder for me...

fleahead

Reaction score
I know there are some who will ALWAYS say Gibson > EPi, USA > China so I am asking for a more nuanced discussion.

I thought I had already settled my mind on the two or three guitars I would buy right after Christmas. Then I saw that there were two different seemingly solid choices with the Gibson name on the headstock!

I already have two choices locked down so this is to help me pick my third.

Was looking at the Midnight Ebony Epi LP plus. Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus - Midnight Ebony | Sweetwater.com

Then I came across the 2016 Gibson Studio Faded Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 Traditional Satin Ebony, Chrome Hardware | Sweetwater.com

The 2016 Gibson LP 50's tribute Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute 2016 Traditional - Satin Ebony, Chrome Hardware | Sweetwater.com

One negative to the Gibson choices is they ship with only a Gig bag, but I have to admit I like them aesthetically better especially the 50's tribute. I am far more interested in overall playability, tone and value for dollar than looks though.

I play bluesy rock, punk and some metal if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for all help.

I would say honestly that those choices mean that a lot of different brands could do it for you.

Now if you were asking about a series of historics, or high-end Japanese that would give us a better idea of what tone it is you're looking for.....

Not trying be a dick but you need to play more guitars, don'tcha think?

PreacherCruz

Reaction score
I would say honestly that those choices mean that a lot of different brands could do it for you.

Now if you were asking about a series of historics, or high-end Japanese that would give us a better idea of what tone it is you're looking for.....

Not trying be a dick but you need to play more guitars, don'tcha think?

Maybe. IDK, I've owned a no name when I started as well as moderately priced Ibanez, An old Epi Les Paul Special, Jackson, and a couple of surprisingly decent First Acts (from the online store, NOT walmart) and a Peavey Impact 1 and my current guitar is an Ibanez RGA42FM.

IDK if it's the limitations of my current guitar playing ability but I've never really noticed much if any difference in my overall approach no matter what guitar I play.

I LOVE LP tones and always prefer humbuckers. I also LOVE Seymour Duncan tones which is why I am GASsing for the Epi White Lightning.

I am looking for 2-3 really solid choices for under $100 each. I think I've found them.

If you can elaborate on what you mean when you say I need to play more guitars... Like just so I know for sure which pups and necks I actually like best? Good idea, I just haven't had the time to get round to the shops to sit and play them yet.

PLUS, no one ever has the White Lightning in stock locally...

bluesaxe

Reaction score
My vote would be the Epi and then tweak to taste.

I just went through a bit of the same conundrum when I was V shopping - buy a $4000 new Custom Shop Gibson, buy a $700 used Faded Gibson, or buy a $300 used Epi reissue and then season to taste. I went with the Epi, upgraded the electronics and pickups, and I'm totally diggin it. I'm surprised at how good the neck and the frets are on the Epi, and it's made from a pretty decent piece of wood and has a very vibrant acoustic sound.

What's cool about a $300 Epi is that it will never be collectible, so if you want to carve your girlfriend's name into it / paint it pink camo / convert it to a headless headstock, go for it!

paco1976

Reaction score
Since when is a Sheraton comparable to a Les Paul?
ELitist to an ES335?
Wat?
:dunno:

It's like:
Personally I prefer a Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe over a Samick 335'ish!
Re-wat?
:shock:

:D

There is an Epi 335 Elitist, for your information:
Epiphone Elitist 1963 ES-335 Dot Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend
This is the one I was referring to. But there are more, a Sheraton Elitist and... also a Les Paul Elitist, for your records as well. "Re-wat????"

If I mentioned the Sheraton is because I know the guitar pretty well, as I do the Emperor, and I would prefer spending $500 in either these two used than the others I mentioned for the same price (LP Studio, MM or Junior).

You're free to disagree.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The White Lightning uses 2 JBs, which are probably the one of the most easily available pickups used or new out there. Whatever you get, you can recreate the White Lightning sound pretty easily.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
if you're new to guitars, I'd buy the one that felt good first, then the one that is going to be the easiest to sell/get more of your money back.

my tastes are much much different than they were when i started. If you really get into guitars, you'll move on quickly. No disrespect, but at the end of the day an upgraded epiphone is still an epiphone. Nothing against it's ability, looking at it strictly as $$$$

PreacherCruz

Reaction score
Post pics soon :)

Here is my thread on the White Lightning NGD. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epi...4-mixed-feelings-epi-white-lightning-ngd.html

Based on his own words of excitement!

3832693.jpg

Absoluterly!
:thumb:

Since when is a Sheraton comparable to a Les Paul?
ELitist to an ES335?
Wat?
:dunno:

It's like:
Personally I prefer a Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe over a Samick 335'ish!
Re-wat?
:shock:

No, not just based on my own words of excitement, but several hours research of reading specs and reviews that those models seemed like good choices for me...

Caretaker

Reaction score
I`ve been a Gibson guy my whole life, but I just got an Epiphone JB and it is without a doubt one of the finest Les Pauls I`ve ever played.
I MIGHT change the nut, but that`s it.

Jimbojo

Reaction score
I recently went through a similar decision and here is what i did:

Played lots of LP's both Epi's and Gibsons.
Played them through as similar amps as possible, if not the exact same.
Played both clean tones and over driven tones.
Changed my mind almost every day.

Then with the encouragement of my wife, I increased my budget a bit and negotiated on the one I really wanted.

It is great to get input here and from other people, but ultimately you gotta find the one you love.

Jimbo

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
There is an Epi 335 Elitist, for your information:
Epiphone Elitist 1963 ES-335 Dot Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend
This is the one I was referring to. But there are more, a Sheraton Elitist and... also a Les Paul Elitist, for your records as well. "Re-wat????"

If I mentioned the Sheraton is because I know the guitar pretty well, as I do the Emperor, and I would prefer spending $500 in either these two used than the others I mentioned for the same price (LP Studio, MM or Junior).

You're free to disagree.

My bad, I assumed a "Les Paul" Elitist... so the comparison with a semi-hollow model seemed like a far stretch.

But in the case of the semi-hollow Epiphone's, they represent one of the best values on the market.
I have often recommended the Sheraton II with an eventual change of pickups/wiring to many musicians
and they've always been satisfied. The DOT was a good call also.
I have lost track of these models now but there is no reason to believe they wouldn't still be good.
So I guess an Elitist version of them would be, as Tony the Tiger would say,

great.png

Thanks for enlightening me on those models.

SpawnedX

Reaction score
750.00 for a made in China? No, nope, nein. If it was made in a much more respected, quality Korean manufacturing sight, I would be making a different comment.

I have an Epi and I have a 2016 Gibson LP Studio, and while my Epi is just fine, it's not even in the same realm as my Gibson.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There is a guy selling an epiphone elite in the classified section. Those are a steal for the money.

nagha

Reaction score
Epi Les Paul Custom Pro
Used Les Paul Standard/Trad

Epi's are great guitars. I love mine.

paco1976

Reaction score
My bad, I assumed a "Les Paul" Elitist... so the comparison with a semi-hollow model seemed like a far stretch.

But in the case of the semi-hollow Epiphone's, they represent one of the best values on the market.
I have often recommended the Sheraton II with an eventual change of pickups/wiring to many musicians
and they've always been satisfied. The DOT was a good call also.
I have lost track of these models now but there is no reason to believe they wouldn't still be good.
So I guess an Elitist version of them would be, as Tony the Tiger would say,

great.png

Thanks for enlightening me on those models.

Yeah, a regular Epi Sheraton II I would as well do something with the pickups to make it a keeper. The Elitists are good as is, all I have checked, quite impressing.

Latest Threads