Chip Repair

ejendres

Reaction score
A roasted maple fretboard decided to give me some guff when I was cutting it. I got a lot of chipout along one side. What would you guys use to fix these? I think the bulk of them will sand out but I don't want to go to the trouble getting it all sanded and then have to fix it and sand again LOL

Knoby

Reaction score
Carve out the rest of the edge to match. Extra rolled edge, comfort carve neck. As a last resort, maybe thin binding all round.

This is not a serious suggestion.

ARandall

Reaction score
Is it to dimension already???
Is a few thousands thinner critical to you being able to play the guitar.....given that you will have finish over the sides in most cases.

I don't want to go to the trouble getting it all sanded and then have to fix it and sand again LOL
Not sure I understand this. If its sanded such that there are no more marks, why is there a need for further fixing?

ejendres

Reaction score
Its slightly over dimension. Some of the chips are fairly deep into the face of the fretboard (~1/16). Those will not sand out. What I was saying is I'd like to just fill all of them to guarantee I will only need to do it once.

I'm just asking what y'all like for wood fill.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Try fine sanding dust from the waste wood, mixed with slow-setting super glue. Try to find strips of Teflon to tape along the side of the board, so the glue/sawdust mixture will only stick to the wood. Don't use accelerator for the glue, because it may discolor the patch and weaken the glue. This should result in a more or less permanent repair, especially if you are going to install binding.

Latest Threads