Chinese Tokai Reveiw By Owner

ral998877

Reaction score
Okay, I was very curious about these and tired of reading reviews by "experts" who have not owned, played or even seen one but somehow know everything. So I took the plunge and bought one. I also own 2 Gibson LP studios, An Ibanez Rocket (flying V )I bought new in 1978, And a 2010 Les Paul Standard Gold top. So I have some quality guitars to measure it against. I also have a couple of Chinese made Epiphones to compare it with, a studio and a Slash AFD model. Here's my take:
First, the quality is amazing for a guitar of any price. Absolutely flawless! I can not fault it period, It's poly, but applied perfect. IT absolutely puts the Epiphones to shame and is nicer looking than either Gibson studio. The soldering is beautiful done. The Epiphones look like the soldering was done by drunk monkeys. The Tokai is first rate. The frets are perfect no issues at all, action set low with no buzz. The bridge is good quality, better than epiphone by far, I see no need to change it. The pots are smooth and not noisy at all, it would be a waste of money to change them.
Okay the body IS MAHOGANY!! Those spreading mis-information...STOP!! It is mahogany..repeat over and over. Its on the heavy side if that's an issue for you.
The neck profile is very similar to the Slash Gibson's if you've played one. Not as thin as the 60's profile but not anywhere as fat as the 50's. It's comfortable. I believe the tuners are wilkinson. I will likely upgrade them.
The only knock on this instrument is the pickups are not great. Yes they are in fact a bit muddy. I will be swapping them out. However, changing pickups is most every guitar players favorite past time. I don't see this an an issue. I'd have likely changed them no matter how they sounded just to experiment.
FINAL WORD:
This guitar is amazing and changed my view of Chinese made instruments. It's far better than Epiphone Les Pauls, Better workmanship, Better finish, Better quality control. Aside from the pickups, I would put it equal to my Gibson Les Paul Studios, but with better quality control than the Gibson on the finish attention to detail. I HIGHLY recommend these. Especially if you don't have a fortune to spend on a guitar. You can get a really, really nice playing guitar that looks amazing for not much money. And if like me you don't like the pickups, you can replace them later, or sooner.
So ignore what people post on here who have not even touched one. There are far too many of those on myLesPaul forums. Go try one out for yourself..

Skit

Witch Doctor
Premium Member
Reaction score
What model # is it that you bought?

kaputme

Reaction score
Okay, I was very curious about these ......Great Guitar, I know; i owned one.. Go try one out for yourself..
Yeah man, post some pics, :photos::photos:and every word you said is correct. I had one and i sold it, which i regret to this day...

bertrand4070

Reaction score
i tried myself several "limited edition" les paul and yes it is worth changing the pu. those guitars are very good for the price.

Greeley

Reaction score
I'd like to see some :photos:as well please along with which model it is, not disputing what You've said at all I love tokai, would just be nice to see:thumbs:

bertrand4070

Reaction score
there was plenty of alc 60 limited edition in a store i know. i never had one. body mahogany/neck mapple.
alc-60-black-limited-edition-tokai.png

bertrand4070

Reaction score
it was in paris around 500 euros new; the store doesn't exist anymore. you can probably find one used for 250. the pu were not so bad. called mk3.