Chinese "Gibsons" Fabulous fakes eBay guide...

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
Chinese "Gibsons" Fabulous Fakes **UPDATE!** | eBay

I was just browsing eBay for Les Pauls (yes, I know... dangerous...) and spotted a link at the side to this buying guide. I clicked on it expecting to see a helpful "how not to buy a fake" type thing.

Just thought I would put together a brief guide to redress the balance here. What with all the guides created by UK guitar retailers claiming (unsurprisingly) that the Chinese are flooding the market with "firewood" guitars made of "plywood" and poorly manufactured etc etc. Well, let me tell you, my experience has been THE EXACT OPPOSITE!!!!

OK so we are being told that these guitars are fakes??? I'm curious to know why the Chinese would go to such extreme lengths to fake guitars in order to make themselves a hundred quid profit.

How does it play and sound? Great. No buzzes hums or crackle. Smooth pots and all working exactly right. The pickups are warm and give a great chunky les paul sound. Overdrives my valve combo a treat. And the sustain............endless!!!!

I think these guitars have come from the Gibson Guitar plant established in China a few years ago. I suspect they could be a batch that was sent over to China from the States for evaluation/finishing/experimentation.Perhaps the Chinese were instructed to source local materials for some of the hardware and plastics. But the guitar underneath (to my mind) is easily comparable to current Gibsons.
My Advice: Grab one while they're still available. For £150 - £200 nothing else comes near.

Read the whole thing if you like... there is more!

Also, eBay have a "report guide" button at the bottom. I've just used it.

Johnny Free

Reaction score
"Easily comparable to Gibson", "For £150 - £200". :laugh2: :hmm:
People can say all sorts of things when they lack the money to buy a real Gibson.

The only name acceptable on a Les Paul's headstock other than Gibson and Epiphone, is this..

Attachments

• gibbons-pearly-gates-headstock-630-80.jpg
    gibbons-pearly-gates-headstock-630-80.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 344

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
"Easily comparable to Gibson", "For £150 - £200". :laugh2: :hmm:
People can say all sorts of things when they lack the money to buy a real Gibson.

The only name acceptable on a Les Paul's headstock other than Gibson and Epiphone, is this..

and Tokai and Edwards and Greco and Burny and Yamaha.... this is MyMIJLesPaul.com in reality with some real Les Pauls thrown in.

TLTeo

Reaction score
Holy shit pickups with Alnico magnets! Who would have thought?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
10 bucks says the asshat who wrote that is from China, or somehow associated with the countefeiters?

Either way, he's a moron.

jc2000

Reaction score
If it's not a Gibson or Epi, it's not a les Paul....

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
It seems this bass-tard is involved in selling them or is making some profit from this. Completely irresponsible and misleading to the general public, which are more likely to be ignorant of the issues at hand.

I have had a Fibson in my hands once while working on it for a friend. He got it in a debt settlement and wasn't sure of it's "heritage" (sic). I set him straight and he was fortunate it was worth about what the person owed him. He knew something didn't seem quite right about the headstock inlay and he is a long time guitar player. I pointed out several things he missed, the scarf joint, the metric bridge, rosewood on a Custom (though that is true now from what I hear) and the lack of nibs. That's just the glaringly obvious stuff as there was more for sure. It seemed like it was made in the Gibson factory in china from what I saw. Probably not really the case but there were Epiphone parts on it. It needed some serious work to make it playable/gigable due to sloppy nut, fretwork and cheap electronics. It did look good though. A decent starter guitar but for the headstock. I would never buy one for that very reason.

I would buy, and have bought an Agile or other LP copy type. I don't have an Agile yet but they seem to have a nice assortment and range. I do have a couple of Traditions and a Tokai. As long as they put their own name on it, I'm cool with it.

I'm glad this @ss-hat was reported. This goes completely against the grain.

dspelman

Reaction score
If it's not a Gibson or Epi, it's not a les Paul....

I guess that begs the question, "Does it really matter?"

Is there a real benefit to having the Christmas Special $89 Epiphone "Les Paul" over a $5K Trussart Steel DeVille "Not A Les Paul?"

entresz

Reaction score
Silly article - he obviously has never played a high quality guitar before. Personally think the main people who deliberately buy those fakes are morons. The often buy then to replace all the wiring etc to make it a "better" guitar. They'd be better off getting an Epi or saving up for a Gibson LP studio, then they might not need to change the electronics etc.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
I guess that begs the question, "Does it really matter?"

Is there a real benefit to having the Christmas Special $89 Epiphone "Les Paul" over a $5K Trussart Steel DeVille "Not A Les Paul?"

If it says "Gibson" on the headstock and it's NOT made by Gibson, then it's a misrepresentation and a fraud.

Simple enough?

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I wouldnt even burn that shit on the fireplace.That thick polyester would propably give you cancer.

Thunderlove

Reaction score
You can take it as read that the guitar I recieved looked just like a new genuine Gibson Les Paul Custom Flametop. I admit that Gibson probably never made a Flametop Custom but whoknows what their future plans are.

Apparently, this guy got one of Gibson's limited edition "Time Traveler" models...

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I think these guitars have come from the Gibson Guitar plant established in China a few years ago.

Ah. The return of the mythological Chinese Gibson plant. He's either a liar, or an idiot that repeats easily refutable nonsense. My guess is the former. Maybe both.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Ah. The return of the mythological Chinese Gibson plant. He's either a liar, or an idiot that repeats easily refutable nonsense. My guess is the former. Maybe both.

That statement right there about a Gibson factory in China takes full validity away from the snake oil sale. As far as I know there are only three places in the USA they make Gibson guitars. I have a couple of Nashvilles myself. If it is Gibson it is made in the USA.

Preacher403

Reaction score
Not to defend the guy, but Gibson does have a China plant. Quingdao, where they make the Epiphones. It's owned by Gibson, so it's a Gibson plant. But they don't make Gibson BRANDED guitars there, just Epiphone branded guitars.

Latest Threads