China Buys The Bacon In $4.7 Billion Deal

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
Chinese meat processor buying Smithfield Foods for about $4.72B

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chinese meat processor Shuanghui International Holdings Ltd. has agreed to take Smithfield Foods private for approximately $4.72 billion.

"We do not anticipate any changes in how we do business operationally in the United States and throughout the world. We will become part of an enterprise that shares our belief in global opportunities and our commitment to the highest standards of product safety and quality. With our shared expertise and leadership, we look forward to accelerating a global expansion strategy as part of Shuanghui," said C. Larry Pope, president and chief executive officer of Smithfield in a news release.

Outside the plant in Smithfield Wednesday, some workers say they don't trust the deal, despite being told they can keep their jobs. Others are optimistic, thinking the Chinese deal could bring them even more work.

Shareholders of Smithfield, the world's biggest pork producer, will receive $34 per share. This is a 31 percent premium to the Smithfield company's closing stock price of $25.97 on Tuesday.

The companies put the deal's total value at about $7.1 billion, including debt.

Smithfield Foods Inc. -- whose brands include Armour, Farmland and its namesake -- has about 138.8 million outstanding shares, according to FactSet.

Both companies' boards have unanimously approved the transaction, which still needs approval from Smithfield's shareholders. The deal is expected to close in the second half of the year.

Shuanghui chairman Wan Long added, "... together we will be able to meet the growing demand in China for pork by importing high-quality meat products from the United States, while continuing to serve markets in the United States and around the world. The combination creates a company with an unmatched set of assets, products and geographic reach."

Smithfield's stock surged $7.23, or 27.8 percent, to $33.20 before the market open.

Chinese meat processor buying Smithfield Foods for about $4.72B | WVEC.com Norfolk - Hampton Roads

Shuanghui International and Smithfield Foods Agree to Strategic Combination, Creating a Leading Global Pork Enterprise (NYSE:SFD)

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B0xvm-QVQs]Pink Floyd - Pigs on the Wing (Rare solo version) - YouTube[/ame]

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Who eats that stuff?
Shop at TJ's and live longer.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
So, they're going to keep the plants in America, use American pigs and sell to American consumers as well as Chinese and other countries? They've probably already stolen the IP related to SPAM.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
16436141_low.jpg

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.

Thanks for all the guitars. :thumb:

...better start brushing up on my Mandarin.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just shop at small locally owned butcher shops if you're concerend. It's not that hard. Ask them if they're supplied by Smithfield Foods. Simple.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, they're going to keep the plants in America, use American pigs and sell to American consumers as well as Chinese and other countries? They've probably already stolen the IP related to SPAM.

Hormel owns SPAM

Actinic

Reaction score
Duh, anyone that has traveled the world knows that Chinese cuisine is superior to that in North America. In this regard, I would not be worried about the buyout. If Carl Icahn were buying the place, then I would be concerned.

Latest Threads