Chicks hatching this week

Matt_21

Reaction score
So as of about October the flock is down to 7 birds. We've got a big handsome lavender orpington rooster, a silkie rooster, a buff Orpington hen, a sex link, a Wyandotte, a polish and a beautiful light brahma hen.
All the girls started laying in late October and checking the eggs periodically some of the eggs were fertile by about mid December.
So the wife bought an incubator off ebay and started keeping eggs just after Christmas.
So we had about 25 eggs from our girls and then she bought another 20 or so eggs (10 buff orps and 10 black orps).
So, we had almost 50 eggs that we started in the incubator Jan 7th I believe.
We have 20 left. Mostly the eggs from the breeder but 4 are ours.

Two nights ago we built a brooder in the basement for the chicks when they hatch.
The brahma (Minnie) has been broody for a few weeks now so Lee has now brought her inside and she's in the brooder sitting on a few non-fertile eggs until day 18 when Lee will try putting 3 or 4 eggs under her to hatch.

All a big adventure/experiment.

We'll see how it goes.

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Reaction score
Mahhh. You have to post at least one pic. That's a rule.

Matt_21

Reaction score
I don't have any on my work computer but we'll take some tonight if we can and post some.
The eggs look really cool with the veins running around the inside.

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Reaction score
I don't have any on my work computer but we'll take some tonight if we can and post some.
The eggs look really cool with the veins running around the inside.
I'd like to see. I'm interest. :yesway:

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpRn4Q4V81o[/ame]

:thumb:

Matt_21

Reaction score
Hatch day tomorrow.
Sorry I didn't post pics guys been a lot going on at home in preparation for baby number 3.
Somebody thiught it would be fine if we hatched the eggs so close to the due date.
Now we're in the hospital figuring out of baby is coming today or if it's a false alarm.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
So as of about October the flock is down to 7 birds. We've got a big handsome lavender orpington rooster, a silkie rooster, a buff Orpington hen, a sex link, a Wyandotte, a polish and a beautiful light brahma hen.
All the girls started laying in late October and checking the eggs periodically some of the eggs were fertile by about mid December.
So the wife bought an incubator off ebay and started keeping eggs just after Christmas.
So we had about 25 eggs from our girls and then she bought another 20 or so eggs (10 buff orps and 10 black orps).
So, we had almost 50 eggs that we started in the incubator Jan 7th I believe.
We have 20 left. Mostly the eggs from the breeder but 4 are ours.

Two nights ago we built a brooder in the basement for the chicks when they hatch.
The brahma (Minnie) has been broody for a few weeks now so Lee has now brought her inside and she's in the brooder sitting on a few non-fertile eggs until day 18 when Lee will try putting 3 or 4 eggs under her to hatch.

All a big adventure/experiment.

We'll see how it goes.
A WHAT?:laugh2:

I know nothing about chickens besides what I find in the grocery store, so I'm just curious.

truckermde

Reaction score
We've been hatching our own for years now. We just have a broody hen sit & hatch them for us. Excellent hatch rate that way...

Looking forward to your pics :)

Matt_21

Reaction score
My wife says thats what its called. Thats all I know about it.

Our Brahma is broody but shes the one hen who we havent found any fertile eggs from.
We're hoping next year we can have a hen hatch them.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
None of my hens start sitting until the end of March,beginning of April. Last year,had some bantys take off and sit somewhere out in the lower forty. I would wake-up to a new batch of chicks every other day,man:laugh2:

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At last, an important topic!

Matt_21

Reaction score
We're hone from the hospital. False alarm.
Now we can be home for hatch day.
Lee has the baby monitor/camera watching the incubator so we'll be ready when they start.
Brooder is all built and ready to go.
The kids will be excited when the chicks start hatching. Should be fun

Matt_21

Reaction score
NOTHING!
We're a bit disappointed.
We'll give them a couple more days.
Thinking maybe the temperature/humidity readings on the incubator were not accurate.
And we're hoping they'll survive but just be a little late if that's the case. We know they developed. We candled them a few days before "lockdown" (day 18).
I'm hoping when I get home after work tonight they'll start cracking out.

Matt_21

Reaction score
Got home from work and 4 had broken through. Only the first little hole so they can breathe. Still waiting for them to come out or more to start.

KTM

Reaction score
Congrats on a few starting to break out. Hope you have lots of success with them. I grew up on a farm and we had a game farm license and had Wild Turkeys, Pheasants, Bobwhite Quail, Canadian Geese, Mallard Ducks as well as several varieties of chickens. Some of the time we would let the hens set on the eggs but mostly we would collect them and hatch them in a couple of incubators. Also ate a bunch of eggs, amazing variety of flavors between the different birds. :)

Matt_21

Reaction score
We've got 6 out. 2 of which were from our own girls.
Number 6 was ine of the first to break his shell. He struggled and struggled. Finally Lee helped him out.
We'll see if he makes it.

The girls are really loving it though. They even got to watch one come out of the shell. He kicked off the bottom half, wiggled a bit and fot his head up and out of the top half of the shell. They were so excited watching it.

Attachments

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Cool!!! I'm glad they hatched. :thumb:

Latest Threads