Chicks at my place

Matt_21

Reaction score
Well, we've got chicks.
Picked them up 2 days ago. 11 in total.
2 buff orpingtons, 2 lavender orpingtons, 2 mottled cochin bantams, 2 blue cochin bantams, 2 silkies and one polish.
Pretty cute little things. And my daughter loves them. She squeezes a little tight when she holds them but, she'll get better with practice.
The coop is built and in the yard as well. My father in law built it for us. Its insulated (for Canadian winters), has some small port holes for ventilation and light and a back flip up door to collect the eggs from the nest boxes. It just needs to be painted.
Pics to follow.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should get a bison. They go great with eggs and you can put it in the coop with the chickens for protection against coyotes. Don't eat the bison eggs though. They ain't really eggs.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
We switched a few years back from Rhodies to Buffs. Great layers of very nice size eggs, and very mellow. Bantys are nice, too, but we have to keep them separate from the larger flock which is a bit of a hassle. But it keeps Mrs. happy so it's all worth it. Enjoy your chicken adventures. :welcome:

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
Wait 'till you have 10 or twelve banty eggs, then boil 'em and peal 'em carefully, so there'll be a bit left when you're done. (If you've never pealed boiled eggs made from freshly laid eggs, your adventure will start right then. :laugh2:)

Anyway, take whatever you have left over from pealing the boiled banty eggs and put 'em aside while you prepare your sausage. Make a small patty of your favorite sausage in the palm of your hand. Wrap it around an egg, completely covering it. Once you get the hang of it, it's still a pain in the butt, but do the rest of them anyway.

Then put them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven until the sausage is slightly browned. About a half hour or so, depending on the number of eggs and the oven, etc.

Serve them just as they are or with a gravy over them or with pasta. We call 'em pig-eggs. :thumb: They're a great snack during the day, too.

Frogfur

Reaction score
I have chickens myself. They really have personalities. Love mine.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
We had Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red when I was a kid. The Barred Rock were mean as H$LL...they used to chase me around and try to peck me all the time.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Colf,

Try lowering the eggs carefully into already boiling water. It made a huge difference for me. Some people also suggest adding baking soda to the water first, but I found the boiling water helped to almost perfection.

The one thing in life that can send me into temper tantrum like fits is when peeling boiled eggs that are totally trashed when done! Makes me go insane!

I hope this helps.

Very Cool Matt
! You might want to supplement the coop a bit for heat in Winter. Keep it just above 40 degrees F (or a little higher) and you'll get eggs throughout. Electric mats with a thermostat are the way to go.

I eat eggs every day. I am an addict! :D

Wait 'till you have 10 or twelve banty eggs, then boil 'em and peal 'em carefully, so there'll be a bit left when you're done. (If you've never pealed boiled eggs made from freshly laid eggs, your adventure will start right then. :laugh2:)

Anyway, take whatever you have left over from pealing the boiled banty eggs and put 'em aside while you prepare your sausage. Make a small patty of your favorite sausage in the palm of your hand. Wrap it around an egg, completely covering it. Once you get the hang of it, it's still a pain in the butt, but do the rest of them anyway.

Then put them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven until the sausage is slightly browned. About a half hour or so, depending on the number of eggs and the oven, etc.

Serve them just as they are or with a gravy over them or with pasta. We call 'em pig-eggs. :thumb: They're a great snack during the day, too.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
Hey Colf,

Try lowering the eggs carefully into already boiling water. It made a huge difference for me. Some people also suggest adding baking soda to the water first, but I found the boiling water helped to almost perfection.

The one thing in life that can send me into temper tantrum like fits is when peeling boiled eggs that are totally trashed when done! Makes me go insane!

I eat eggs every day. I am an addict! :D
We'll give that a try, thanks. :thumb: We've done the baking soda thing and the crushed ice/shake thing. The fresher the eggs the more stubbornly they peal. And the small ones are particularly frustrating. You can also poke a pin size hole in the pointy end of the egg prior to boiling. Sometimes it seems to help, others not so much. Not a huge problem.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we've got chicks.
Picked them up 2 days ago. 11 in total.
2 buff orpingtons, 2 lavender orpingtons, 2 mottled cochin bantams, 2 blue cochin bantams, 2 silkies and one polish.
Pretty cute little things. And my daughter loves them. She squeezes a little tight when she holds them but, she'll get better with practice.
The coop is built and in the yard as well. My father in law built it for us. Its insulated (for Canadian winters), has some small port holes for ventilation and light and a back flip up door to collect the eggs from the nest boxes. It just needs to be painted.
Pics to follow.
And here I thought you were doing the "Jim" thing with three bitches in the hot tub.

Matt_21

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and comments. I'll pass it on to Leeanna.
Tried adding pics again but, for some reason nothing will attach.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll give that a try, thanks. :thumb: We've done the baking soda thing and the crushed ice/shake thing. The fresher the eggs the more stubbornly they peal. And the small ones are particularly frustrating. You can also poke a pin size hole in the pointy end of the egg prior to boiling. Sometimes it seems to help, others not so much. Not a huge problem.
Yeah, my friend Ed has around 500 Hens he only buys from the Amish. Beautiful birds and nicely tempered. What personalities they have. Run free range and have been laying eggs in the same nests for over 70 years. Most of his eggs are Extra Large to Jumbo. So far, dropping them into already full boiling water does the best. His eggs are laid daily and sold out by the end of the day almost every day. Talk about yellow yolks... YUMMY!

I'm coming over for Pig-Eggs! :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty: Sounds GREAT!

Matt_21

Reaction score
What the he11 is that?
If chickens had creepy old guys in vans giving out "free candy" that would be the van

Laggspike

Reaction score
I came to this thread like a young kid that just hit puberty since i just became a single..

Tone deaf

Reaction score
What the he11 is that?
If chickens had creepy old guys in vans giving out "free candy" that would be the van
Dude! That is the all-new rage: a convertible 2x12 extension cab and chicken coop. It's worth $50, according to the nutbag trying to sell it. I bet there isn't another one just like it, anywhere...

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
We've got just about the same setup with about the same amount and types of birds.
We love it. We get about 6-10eggs/day, which isn't quite enough, so we're getting a few more. We make them for breakfast on a good-sized cast iron griddle.
Can't beat it.
We've also starting raising rabbits for meat. That's going to be something, I can tell already. Plus we grow a lot of vegetables and planted some fruit trees.
We live in a cul de sac. :)

Latest Threads