Chicago techs for my les Paul

bluemoon

Reaction score
I posted this in the luthier section but didn't get any responses. Anyone in the Chicago area used one of these shops to get their Les Paul setup?

I am looking for a good place to get my LP setup in the Chicago area. Anyone used any of these shops:

1. Music Gallery in Highland Park
2. Tom Shroeder in Chicago
3. Third Coast guitar

Thanks

Tom99SS

Reaction score
Bluemoon,

I have used Music Gallery. Nice guys but the issue with them is you do not get to really talk to the tech (Chip). You just hand your guitar to somebody who takes down what you want done and later you get your guitar. They did a nice setup but the key work here is NICE (did not really touch the nut so it still pinged at times when tuning).

I have found a great tech but he is in Marengo (about an hour drive for me). Steve owns Guitar Pro Shop and just installed a bone nut, AVR-II bridge with Brown'sGuitar conversion posts onto my Les Paul (along with LW TP and locking studs). He took the time to explain things to me, show me what was to be done and watch how I played the guitar to determine how to best set it up. When I picked it up he explained all he did and answered all my questions. The only issue I have is I spend a couple of hours there talking to him and going over things about guitars :)

Give him a call. I think you'll be happy

HeadCase

Reaction score
I'd go w/ Music Gallery Inc. Great people there. I'd also call to see when one of their techs are going to be in so you can go over the work in person. Memory is fuzzy but I believe George (thin guy, beard) is the guy who has done some great setups for me on new purchases. I love that place. I'm bringing in
my new '89 Historic Goldtop. I just can't get this one right on my own.
Good luck! Let us know you're results.

skydog

Reaction score
If you live on the south side, try John Lynch in Griffith, IN. One of the best guitar techs there is.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing ive done, is study…Study…Invest in tools, even if you get one tool at a time.

Get a set of feeler guages, a precision screwdriver kit, a string action ruler, to start and study

Then buy some nut files, and a couple nut blanks, and again study

I do everything from setting my action, intonation, neck relief, refret’s ,fret level and re crown, make Nuts, cut nut slots, saddles slots, wiring…that is because i didnt trust guitar center with my guitars, as thats really all i had locally, and im a serious gear head, so stuff like i just metioned, if its within my grasp, then i will learn to do it myself

I leave building guitars to the experts though

HRC

Reaction score
Check out Players Guitars in Worth IL. I've been using them for years and was never disappointed.

Latest Threads