Chibsons are getting good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck M

Reaction score
Another solid proof that tone is in the pickups, the nut and clean wiring!

timthumb.php

Note to readers:
Anyone wanting to "like" this post because of the words, take a hike.
Anyone wanting to "like" this post because of the picture, you're welcome.

Oh, OK, then that pictures s%$ks! :rolleyes: The Lake is frozen and that is annoying!

Chuck M

Sinster

Reaction score
I lol'd!!!!

Luthier "makes a copy" and it's a replica and sells it for 3K+.. that's ok no harm no foul.

Unknown worker in a certain region of this world "makes a copy" and it's a counterfeit and people should waste their money.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well,...a replica is trying to be a "good" guitar,..it's not just a sh*tty cash grab.

But yeah they're both counterfeits. Fake is fake.

...and if you're famous enough Gibson will make an official version of your fake ass guitar. :slash:

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMO. No one should be using the "Gibson" name unless it's Gibson. There's no if's, ands or buts about it. It's called a forgery.

How would you like it if you owned a business and worked hard to build a name only to find out some asshat is putting YOUR name on THEIR product? Anyone doing this should be sued.

It's not hard to understand and there's no legitimate excuse....Luthier or not. It's illegal PERIOD.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
The dead giveaway for me is the bridge, horn and headstock shape and this one had all 3 perfect. I dont think Ive EVER seen a forgery with correct, unslotted bridge studs, but this one had em.

The irony is that Gibson took it's first step toward slotted bridge studs with the 2015's.

SGS15HCCH1_NF_03.jpg

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibsons master plan,...make them like the Chinese then no one will blink when they move production to China.

On the plus side we'll finally get Epiphones with open book headstocks. :laugh2:

on the negative side some Gibson owners will have an aneurysm

jimmer_5

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm constantly amazed at the things they get wrong so often. I work with a number of Asian manufactueres and if I "spec'ed" an Asian built LP knockoff, I promise you very very few people would be able to tell without taking it apart and maybe not even then.

It's like they are not even trying. If they start to, then look out.

I am an industrial designer by trade. I design pocket knives for a living, and I have the opportunity to design products for our US factory, and also products that will be manufactured in China. Having traveled there and toured factories, I can tell you, the Chinese are perfectly capable of making a knockoff Les Paul that would fool the majority of people.

China is so big that there are multiple tiers of factories, regardless of what they are making. It's all about how much you are willing to pay. The really obvious copies come from low-end factories, and cost much less. There are always better factories that will make a much higher quality product. I have seen high-end knockoffs of $500 knives that damn near fooled me, and I have owned the real thing. What worries me is not the obvious fakes that are easy to spot - it's the fact that there are likely some fakes out there that are good enough to go unnoticed.

It may rankle people to hear this, but there is a lot to be said for the Chinese work ethic, and they have many fine craftsmen and women. The real problem is that they also have a complete and utter disregard for intellectual property, and fakes exist of almost any product you can think of.

sullimd

Reaction score
I lol'd!!!!

Luthier "makes a copy" and it's a replica and sells it for 3K+.. that's ok no harm no foul.

Unknown worker in a certain region of this world "makes a copy" and it's a counterfeit and people should waste their money.

That's always been my issue. Bash and threaten and demean someone talking about a $300 Chinese copy, but if you're wealthy enough to pay thousands for a '59 "replica" from a luthier somehow that's not only accepted, but coveted. Even have 50 page arguments on who actually made the "Derrig".

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@Jim 5

in their culture it's a compliment to copy something. It's a totally different way of thinking.

I'm sure as they're growing so much and becoming such a powerhouse country, that attitude may change once they start coming up with their own ideas.

Suddenly they may understand the damage done by stealing other peoples work.

..or not,...who knows. ..interesting to ponder though

Liquid State

Reaction score
I find this whole thing horrid. At least the Japanese copies (even the lawsuit head stock ones) and reputable luthiers have enough pride in their products and business ethics to put a different name on the guitar. Using someone's brand IS stealing their reputation. It's worse than stealing cash.

The forgeries are getting rampant now. Their is a Orville by Gibson 335 listed as a Chinese copy (i.e., fake) of a Japanese guitar on my local craigslist. I mean for christ's sake, a fake of a Japanese copy.... geez. At some point there will be very few places left to turn

EVH9442

Reaction score
I am an industrial designer by trade. I design pocket knives for a living, and I have the opportunity to design products for our US factory, and also products that will be manufactured in China. Having traveled there and toured factories, I can tell you, the Chinese are perfectly capable of making a knockoff Les Paul that would fool the majority of people.

China is so big that there are multiple tiers of factories, regardless of what they are making. It's all about how much you are willing to pay. The really obvious copies come from low-end factories, and cost much less. There are always better factories that will make a much higher quality product. I have seen high-end knockoffs of $500 knives that damn near fooled me, and I have owned the real thing. What worries me is not the obvious fakes that are easy to spot - it's the fact that there are likely some fakes out there that are good enough to go unnoticed.

It may rankle people to hear this, but there is a lot to be said for the Chinese work ethic, and they have many fine craftsmen and women. The real problem is that they also have a complete and utter disregard for intellectual property, and fakes exist of almost any product you can think of.

Couldn't agree more

:run:

RRfireblade

Reaction score
@Jim 5

in their culture it's a compliment to copy something. It's a totally different way of thinking.

I'm sure as they're growing so much and becoming such a powerhouse country, that attitude may change once they start coming up with their own ideas.

Suddenly they may understand the damage done by stealing other peoples work.

..or not,...who knows. ..interesting to ponder though

That may be but I've had at least a dozen patented product designs knocked off by overseas manufacturing over the years, they clearly like to compliment the all mighty dollar more.

:)

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
we turned them into what they are.

instead of building up our own country we built up theirs.

yay Capitalism!

jlb32

Reaction score
we turned them into what they are.

instead of building up our own country we built up theirs.

yay Capitalism!

True. The USA has pretty much single handedly taken China from a super poor 3rd world country to the worlds largest economy while ignoring our own economy and giving tax breaks to USA companies moving overseas.

We let China import as much and anything they wish. At the same time China puts restrictions on USA imports to China. Whatever happened to the Fair Trade Act or the USA not dealing with communist countries.

Of course it's all about the top 1% so China being in the equation is a no brainer for our government looking out for the rich getting richer.

As far as the fake Chibsons. What reputable guitar shop would not know that selling a fake is ILLEGAL regardless of if you state it as a fake or not.

davesintexas

Reaction score
You think you can visually spot a Fake Les Paul? Not today. Not with their newest Fakes coming from China. Unless you open one up and check for that Gibson Truss Rod Nut, or open the back looking for a computer board they can fool even the oldest of Lester Owners. I have 4 Chesters and 5 Lesters in my office that I have modified all with total Gibson Parts. I asked several of my friends to pick out the ONE fake. Now out of 7 people you would have thought that someone would have said....HEY, they are ALL Fakes! Nope. Not one of them saw the other fakes sitting right beside the ones they picked. But, at least they didn't pick one of the real ones. They even played several of them before saying FOR SURE that's the fake one. The Most Picked was a Custom BB and because of the Diamond Logo is too small. They even Missed the one fake I have with a scarf joint on it's neck! And these were ALL Les Paul players and owners. It shocked them. What shocks me is the lack of uproar at these fakes. They are NOW building a True Counterfeit in China, Gibson NUT, Gibson Serial Number Fonts, proper location of the Made in the USA etc. Course, open up the electrics and you see its a fake. But, this Newest one is meant to Cheat People. These wont be selling for $300 and labeled a FAKE..These will be on Ebay, Craigs List and selling above $1200 dollars and the sellers are going to Cheat a Bunch of people. It seems it was sorta OK to have these fakes make it into the world. As long as you could spot one kinda easy. But, they are always improving them. And with the right parts and experience, that problem with the electrics can be easily solved. Heck, I bought a Real Gibson Electronics Board on EBAY for only $40 dollars! Heck, the Gibson CTS POTs for 4 Retail are $48 dollars Alone! Stop and Think what this is really going to do to your guitars values. Its not just the Les Paul they are making. They are making ES 335s, ES 339s, ES 175s, ES 355s, Gretsch White and Black Falcons, Chet Atkins, ALL Fender Models. All PRS Models. So, keep in mind that sooner or later someone you know may get cheated. Have a good one.

paco1976

Reaction score
You think you can visually spot a Fake Les Paul? Not today. Not with their newest Fakes coming from China. Unless you open one up and check for that Gibson Truss Rod Nut, or open the back looking for a computer board they can fool even the oldest of Lester Owners. I have 4 Chesters and 5 Lesters in my office that I have modified all with total Gibson Parts. I asked several of my friends to pick out the ONE fake. Now out of 7 people you would have thought that someone would have said....HEY, they are ALL Fakes! Nope. Not one of them saw the other fakes sitting right beside the ones they picked. But, at least they didn't pick one of the real ones. They even played several of them before saying FOR SURE that's the fake one. The Most Picked was a Custom BB and because of the Diamond Logo is too small. They even Missed the one fake I have with a scarf joint on it's neck! And these were ALL Les Paul players and owners. It shocked them. What shocks me is the lack of uproar at these fakes. They are NOW building a True Counterfeit in China, Gibson NUT, Gibson Serial Number Fonts, proper location of the Made in the USA etc. Course, open up the electrics and you see its a fake. But, this Newest one is meant to Cheat People. These wont be selling for $300 and labeled a FAKE..These will be on Ebay, Craigs List and selling above $1200 dollars and the sellers are going to Cheat a Bunch of people. It seems it was sorta OK to have these fakes make it into the world. As long as you could spot one kinda easy. But, they are always improving them. And with the right parts and experience, that problem with the electrics can be easily solved. Heck, I bought a Real Gibson Electronics Board on EBAY for only $40 dollars! Heck, the Gibson CTS POTs for 4 Retail are $48 dollars Alone! Stop and Think what this is really going to do to your guitars values. Its not just the Les Paul they are making. They are making ES 335s, ES 339s, ES 175s, ES 355s, Gretsch White and Black Falcons, Chet Atkins, ALL Fender Models. All PRS Models. So, keep in mind that sooner or later someone you know may get cheated. Have a good one.

Yeah these will be on eBay, CL and stuff, by people like you.
The only guy who does not sell counterfeits is the one who does not buy them. Now you got a lot of fakes with you, are you going to keep them forever?

The days it gets that tricky we will all go back to buying new I guess.

smurph1

Reaction score

That was deep, and I believe it's true!!

smurph1

Reaction score

This is yet another reason to buy from a reputable retailer, or at least someone you know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads