Chibson Fakes Are Getting Alot Better! Scary!

Trogly

Reaction score
Looks like someone bought it for $1500 - but it has been relisted again for $1500 so they didn't follow through with the sale.

If you want to know who you're messing with - this is HIS YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxWauqOjavlL6VWqcYSbv8g

He made a fake account to comment on my original video (
) I made calling this guy out. That account just happened to be subscribed to himself haha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 8.50.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 8.50.42 PM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 8.54.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 8.54.49 PM.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 69

yamariv

Reaction score
Looks like someone bought it for $1500 - but it has been relisted again for $1500 so they didn't follow through with the sale.

) I made calling this guy out. That account just happened to be subscribed to himself haha

Hey @Trogly, love the videos! :cheers2: Thanks for pointing this scammer out for us!

I checked out his Youtube channel, are you F%#$#&* kidding me!! This dude is a piece of work! :facepalm:

coupe89

Reaction score

Great videos have been watching your channel for a while.

bluesondoor

Reaction score
Yep, back up at 1500. At least he doesn't realize that the lower he goes, the less likely it is to sale.

scozz

Reaction score

Great PSA video @Trogly! Also it’s commendable of you to offer your help to stop scams like this. I’m like you, in that, I hate seeing unsuspecting folks being separated from their money for a counterfeit guitar.

Thanks for that...and thanks for all the great videos you’ve done in the past on some really great guitars. Especially the 80s Les Paul. I’m proud and thankful that you’re a member of the MLP Forum! :applause:

Rich_D

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Chibsons but I have a ton of experience in Chinglish and the eBay description is a huge giveaway. Specific syntax errors, misplaced random comma splices, and the lack of spacing after punctuation is pure Chinglish. I could smell this scam like Peking duck a mile away. Learn who you're dealing with and buyer beware.

D W C

Reaction score
He is BACK, Ebay item #142720962453. Sent him another email, think this one is fake too!
I will try to put in a pic, just on my way out.......check it out , thank you.

coupe89

Reaction score
Noticed one listing said something about Norm so is he saying Norm from Norm's rare guitars looked at it?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
The headstock has no clear pic, and has been refinished (paint in the TR cavity).

maybe the headstock was replaced in a repair?

The rest of it looks legit to me. The nibs, with the file-marks going cross-grain, and jagged look like pure-Gibson to me.

s-l1600.jpg
What's up with the switch ring? That looks like surface mount, not recess mount...
Looks too thick, maybe?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Ok, now that I've looked at it a couple things.

It looks to have the correct TRC script Standard for the 80's. The Truss Rod Nut looks to be proper brass.

The electronics have all been replaced with aftermarket.

The Bridge has springs on the screw shafts, someone may have seen these before, I have not.

The pup rings look a tad wide and the headstock a bit long and thin. Could be the pic angles.

Serial number is not the regular stamp into wood.

Switch ring looks wrong, but if electronics were replaced, could be wrong type switch. There is a metal washer under it that's above the chip.

I'm not sure when they stopped using the brown plastic on the cavity covers but these look black. The screws look wrong too, but could have been replaced. Others may know if they are OEM or not.

The hole spacing looks iffy on the CC plate to me. Could just be me...

There looks to be a headstock joint / repair too.

Kygo

Reaction score
One thing I noticed with all Chibsons is the position of the neck volume knob is always off. On a real Gibson the top of the neck volume knob lines up almost exactly with the top of the tailpiece. On a Chibson they always put it too low. This one is no exception.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Another thing that is bothering me is the painted truss rod cavity... My 82 shows the bare maple of the neck and some initials in there.

I also don't see the half moon washer, but that could be the photo.

Those nibs are perfectly rounded like perhaps a pin router did them.

The knob placement could be off for 80's era instruments too. Hey @mudface , do you know when the short body Heritage shaped Standard ended, if it did?
My 82 to show knob placement as directly under tailpiece.

EDIT: The bridge is on backwards too. Large notches under small strings, none under wound ones..

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing that is bothering me is the painted truss rod cavity... My 82 shows the bare maple of the neck and some initials in there.

I also don't see the half moon washer, but that could be the photo.

Those nibs are perfectly rounded like perhaps a pin router did them.

The knob placement could be off for 80's era instruments too. Hey @mudface , do you know when the short body Heritage shaped Standard ended, if it did?
My 82 to show knob placement as directly under tailpiece.

EDIT: The bridge is on backwards too. Large notches under small strings, none under wound ones..
As far as i know the transition of the Short Body ended by early 1983. I think by late '82 they were being phased out or used up.

PierM

Reaction score
The headstock has no clear pic, and has been refinished (paint in the TR cavity).

maybe the headstock was replaced in a repair?

The rest of it looks legit to me. The nibs, with the file-marks going cross-grain, and jagged look like pure-Gibson to me.

s-l1600.jpg

Rounder nibs and fat frets = chibson

PierM

Reaction score
He is BACK, Ebay item #142720962453. Sent him another email, think this one is fake too!
I will try to put in a pic, just on my way out.......check it out , thank you.

Fake 100%.

This guy it's a SOB.

Latest Threads