Chibson Fakes Are Getting Alot Better! Scary!

yamariv

Reaction score
I was just on Youtube, one of the channels I watch was calling out this seller's guitars on one of his videos. The seller is trying to pass his Chibson Guitars off as real even after being contacted by the Channel's owner..

Look at the pics, yes it's still obvious it's a fake but the the scary part is the Chibson's are getting much closer looking to real Gibson's than ever in my opinion..Shape is getting more accurate, nibs are now appearing, headstock shape is improving etc.. Still can't see if they are doing the Wings though. Serial # font is still off too

Hope no one gets scammed on this one.. Eeek, can't stand shady sellers!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=142711000223

Attachments

yamariv

Reaction score
Reported to eBay, can't stand this type of scum.
How do you report it to Ebay, I was looking for a link on the listing but couldn't see it before I posted it..

The crappy part is this guy knows he's been called out as a fake and is still defending it in the description. Some kid or newb LP owner is gonna get ripped off, what a Scum@%$!

yamariv

Reaction score
Sorry but that Chibson is looking garbage.

I cant see anything “better” than the typical chibson.

Body, horn, alignments, headtock, is all wrong.
I agree it's still a piece of crap and I can tell but they are improving alot which is scary! The horn is a better shape than some bad ones I've seen, the headstock is off but still better than others. They also have nibs now, and the tailpiece placement is getting better too.

yamariv

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not that tuned in to see that as an obvious fake, I would Never know from looking at those pics.
I don't even see a pic of the serial number.
Please advise . . . . . . .
There's lots of telltale signs to learn, too many to list. If you search fake Gibby threads they'll all be explained but you'll have a fair bit of reading and comparing to get good.

If you're ever in doubt, BEFORE buying, post a pic on here and we'll make sure you don't get scammed from guys like this Ebay seller..

Stevie 202

Reaction score
my 2 cents from an 82 owner..
them

Me

Looking at them together the first thing I see is the fat top of the G in Gibson.

On mine they are the same width.

The 'O' is wrong too...
The “Les Paul” script is wrong too.

The lines should be different widths, as if done by hand with a pen.
These are all the same thickness.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visual Cues;

Import straps - Fail
Import bridge (saddles with springs) - Fail
TP beveled studs - Fail
TP to Bridge distance - Fail
Headstock shape - Fail
Gibson Logo material, size, trimming - Fail
Inlay shape - Fail
Fret profile and size - Fail
Les Paul Logo - Fail
Body horn - Fail
Heel shape - Fail
Body Thickness - Fail
Body cutway - Fail
Pickguard - Fail
Po-ker Chip - Fail
Pup ring size - Fail
Serial stamp - Fail
Nibs (gibson never do rounder nib profiles, that is typical Chibson that use dremel VS hands) - Fail
Harness - Fail

:cheers2:

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup, headstock (thanks @DarrellV ) and cutaway (thanks @PierM ). But also look at how Darrell's "Les Paul" is much more elegant and also, the headstock top is a "U" in the middle.

What I find worrisome @yamariv , is indeed they have addressed some tell-tale signs--looks like they have nibs on the frets, and the bridge adjustment is a post, not a screw. Those are always 2 of the first things I look for.

But (at least from the angle) the cutaway is pretty hideous.

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
But this one listed is not a Trogly one, is it?