Chibson controversy

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see how the Gibson or Fender logo is the last 'finishing touch' to a well-made replica...like having a Shelby badge on a Cobra replica kit build. Also....and this is hypothetical ;) ....even if say you're building a hand-wired clone of a Blackface Fender Amp....sometimes that final build doesn't quite look right without the script-logo faceplate and the silver badge in the corner of the grille cloth. So I guess for some, as long as they're not planning on selling it...or at least clearly indicate that it's a replica if they do.......

But on a bad Chinese knockoff....no....that deserves cutting off a hand.
I’ve actually drove a couple of replica Cobras,... they can be junk too,..mustang II front clips and floppy resin bodies ..... seriously..... In fact true Cobra replicas with aluminum bodies ladder tube frames and SOHC 427s (licensed by Shelby) are nearly as pricey as the real deal..... but it may be the only way to get a Cobra.

Guitars,.... you got options....

Amplifiers..... a clone may be the only way to get one.... but using current materials and parts.... it’s not really a clone. Again.... we have options.... with so much quality stuff out there who needs a clone?

When some one takes a 1957 Gold Top Gibson Les Paul and retop with flame maple and sells it as an original 1959 for $250k this is fraud on another level..... then I think that any replica should be branded as such..... whether it’s domestic or foreign in build...... regardless of quality of build....

My Chevy though is very real..... who would clone a Vette anyway?

67795CAF-5B79-4DA3-8C56-C68705FBB9A1.jpeg

9D593F0C-F458-4CE0-959F-B71A2C77A366.jpeg

B0992F03-BC8A-4358-A98A-F46CD40FB8FA.jpeg

Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
Amplifiers..... a clone may be the only way to get one.... but using current materials and parts.... it’s not really a clone. Again.... we have options.... with so much quality stuff out there who needs a clone?
If you can wire, it's a very convenient and affordable way of recreating a golden era amp, which blows a reissue out of the water and costs much less than the 'factory' hand-wired ones. And using, say, Mallory 150's instead of Blue Atrons makes it not different than say a '66 that's been recapped or repaired....but doesn't still cost $3K+. Obviously certain amps you can't get some components or transformers any more, but you can certainly get close enough t oenjoty what the original was all about.

To be fair personally I don't really see 'needing' a brand badge on any clone/kit amps except maybe a blackface. I've actually had custom badges with my initials made for a lot of other builds.

When some one takes a 1957 Gold Top Gibson Les Paul and retop with flame maple and sells it as an original 1959 for $250k this is fraud on another level..... then I think that any replica should be branded as such..... whether it’s domestic or foreign in build...... regardless of quality of build....
Oh I agree...I just think it gets a bit hazy if you're up front about out being a Max or the like, even though it sports a Gibson logo.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can wire, it's a very convenient and affordable way of recreating a golden era amp, which blows a reissue out of the water and costs much less than the 'factory' hand-wired ones. And using, say, Mallory 150's instead of Blue Atrons makes it not different than say a '66 that's been recapped or repaired....but doesn't still cost $3K+. Obviously certain amps you can't get some components or transformers any more, but you can certainly get close enough t oenjoty what the original was all about.

To be fair personally I don't really see 'needing' a brand badge on any clone/kit amps except maybe a blackface. I've actually had custom badges with my initials made for a lot of other builds.

Oh I agree...I just think it gets a bit hazy if you're up front about out being a Max or the like, even though it sports a Gibson logo.
I agree that building your own amp can be very satisfying...... building my own guitar would be a test of skill that I would fail a dozen times before I got one right:rofl:

MiniB

Reaction score
I agree that building your own amp can be very satisfying...... building my own guitar would be a test of skill that I would fail a dozen times before I got one right:rofl:
Building a guitar I've never had the desire to do. Maybe put together a Tele, but from good parts already made. I guess amps are like that too since I don't actually weld up a chassis or hand-wind transformer, etc. But still, I'd rather search for a good factory guitar. The amps are a lot of fun.

fleahead

Reaction score
Of the OPs guitar he described in his original post ?

You need to be a bit more specific.
Duh, yes... where (as in "location", what model was being passed off, how about a listing so we can see...)

Specific enough for you?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Duh, yes... where (as in "location", what model was being passed off, how about a listing so we can see...)

Specific enough for you?

If it’s a fake and being advertised as a fake how does this make YOU feel better by seeing the actual listing???

Even as a hypothetical question a reasonable opinion can be given.

;)

fleahead

Reaction score
Why do you care? I asked the OP, don't really care what you think, okay?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do you care? I asked the OP, don't really care what you think, okay?
You come into this thread 5 days into the run and I’m supposed to know who your questions are directed at..... you could have PM the OP and I would not have made response to your post..... I apologize if I seemed unreasonable.

ARandall

Reaction score
^In many places in the world that's simply not possible. Even in the US most of the Gibson lineup is not made LH.....that goes for every other brand too. So for us we simply cannot do what you have belligerently stated. Hence why I build guitars as close as I can to the models that are not available.

brewsnale

Reaction score
I have some deep seated issues about patriotism, but I just find this kind of F’d up.
It doesnt have to be patriotism. Theres also brand loyalty as well as not supporting the counterfeit market. Regardless of disclosure there is one more pos chibson muddying the waters in the resale pool. How long before its offored as an original Gibson

brewsnale

Reaction score
. . . He took a chibson, did a bunch of work to it, replaced the hardware and electronics w/Gibson parts. And with full disclosur . . .
I agree that it's fk'd up. But i'm curious did he keep the the counterfeit seriel number or did he strike it out?

uncajoey

Reaction score
One of the most interesting things about the knock off business is that the factories that make Chibsons also make fake IBANEZ guitars, who of course got famous by making knockoffs! Fair play, I guess.

Latest Threads