Chibson controversy

bum

Reaction score
As for buying from China...god luck not owning anything made there.
Please don't go down this route, I have zero issues with China, in fact you could buy a nice Mustang made in China, it's legit as well for the money you spent:

The issue is not with a particular country, your guitar could have been made in Florida, it's still a dodgy knock off, sorry if that offends.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Semi good point. It IS impossible to avoid it completely. But, that isn't the same as actively seeking it out, as in having one of these made. There ARE other inexpensive alternatives.
True there are alternatives and I've owned those as well. Agile being one of the best.

As I said earlier, I just had to see for myself what the quality level of one of these Chibson guitars really was...

One time deal and no Gibson or USA logo to fool anyone if it ever gets sold or given away. Hell, I've been tempted to tear it apart myself just to see for sure what wood and how many pieces there are...

bum

Reaction score
True there are alternatives and I've owned those as well. Agile being one of the best.

As I said earlier, I just had to see for myself what the quality level of one of these Chibson guitars really was...

One time deal and no Gibson or USA logo to fool anyone if it ever gets sold or given away. Hell, I've been tempted to tear it apart myself just to see for sure what wood and how many pieces there are...
I can totally understand the interest, and I am in no way criticising you, and I also do not feel I have the right to even suggest how people spend their money.

It's just a tricky subject I think

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

For what was paid, I wouldn't hesitate to rip it apart.

jbash

Reaction score
As for buying from China...god luck not owning anything made there.
You'd be surprised how many alternate things you actually can buy made elsewhere if you are up to trying. It's not possible to avoid all of it, but you can cut out a sizable chunk. I know, my family has done/is doing it.

And frankly, most of it is crap I don't need anway, so finding an alt is not necc.

Ripgut

Reaction score
Bottom line is... it's business. If there wasn't a demand for Chibsons from the US or across the globe, they wouldn't churn these guitars out the way they are doing. There's obviously a huge demand for them, just like drugs, drugs are forever, it's never going to stop.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
As long as it has a truss rod to adjust the neck, you can most of the time, make any guitar setup nicely and work well.

Some Chibson's don't have a truss rod and then you're screwed.

larryguitar

Reaction score
As long as it has a truss rod to adjust the neck, you can most of the time, make any guitar setup nicely and work well.

Some Chibson's don't have a truss rod and then you're screwed.
I've seen them where:
1. The fret slots weren't cut in the correct spot-guitar is impossible to intonate or play in tune
2. The body was *literally* made of pressed wood-that won't last a year
3. The 'truss rod' was a nut glued to a hole

The basic concept is simple; these people are in business to cheat and steal. They have no moral qualms about doing so, and you're going to be their customer, in another country and essentially powerless to take them to task for failures and flaws.

What could possibly go wrong, huh?

Larry

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've seen them where:
1. The fret slots weren't cut in the correct spot-guitar is impossible to intonate or play in tune
2. The body was *literally* made of pressed wood-that won't last a year
3. The 'truss rod' was a nut glued to a hole

The basic concept is simple; these people are in business to cheat and steal. They have no moral qualms about doing so, and you're going to be their customer, in another country and essentially powerless to take them to task for failures and flaws.

What could possibly go wrong, huh?
Dave's World of Fun Stuff has a dozen or so videos where he's tried to set up Chibson.
After having the Ace Frehley on his bench for the 2nd time, he's completely sworn off of them... even though he's always done them as what he considers a favor for someone he knows, he won't even take them in for that.
Just too many things screwed up and too difficult to get set up properly.

It's a shame, they look nice, but that's about it. If you want a wall-hanger for a bar, there ya go.

mjross

Reaction score
No. Counterfeit is counterfeit, and illegal no matter who does it.

The harm comes when someone does a shit job for cheap and someone who doesn't know what they're getting into gets burned down the road, but the principle is the same at any price point...though admittedly if a higer priced "replica" is staying in that higher priced market it is less likely to be passed on as something it isn't given the likely more knowledgeable customer base. I can understand that if it is a replica of a specific guitar...not a model of guitar.
How about when the replica is better than the real thing? Just sayin...

Robmosis

Reaction score
Well in that case I personally would sooner go without a guitar than have one for $195 from this lot, but that's just my take.
If I only had $195 to spend on guitar gear I would get a nice pedal, or some new leads, capos etc.

If I was shopping for a guitar and only had $195 to spend I would grab a sweet Squire or a kick ass Epiphone 2nd hand.
I would still absolutely not give a single penny of my money to a dodgy company that mainly profits by making fake crap.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I wonder how many high end "replca's" out there have been pssed off as real Bursts? I bet it's more than a few. Personally, I go beyond what the OP stated; If you copy a design to exact dimensions, even if you mark it with your own logo, that should be illegal and considerd a counterfeit. Collings, ESP, Yamaha, Ibanez, they all make their own designs. Edwards, Burny and the like "should" be forced to do the same. Flame away! :applause:

My lone "Copy" is like that of @mudface , it's a Firebird style from the awesome DSG shop...but different from any Bird that Gibson made. I made sure of it when I spec'd it out.
Hmm. Yamaha singlecut:

1593538161201.png

Ibanez singlecut:

1593538209451.png

ESP Navigator:

1593538409130.png

And yes, Burny and Edwards have original models as well.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about when the replica is better than the real thing? Just sayin...
Some are,.... as long as said “replica” is not branded as a Gibson.... a luthier’s brand or other manufacture brand is fine.

Why in the hell do someone need to have a replica with a Gibson brand when it’s not a Gibson????
(especially if it's better than a real Gibson)

The only answer is to fool someone else that it is a real Gibson.

And why do that???

$$$$.... or make your dick look bigger.:laugh2:

I would think that rocking a guitar that's better than Gibson,... you wouldn't need to lie about it... that's just me.

Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
What if the headstock reads "better than...." on the back, and "Gibson" on the front?

mjross

Reaction score
Some are,.... as long as said “replica” is not branded as a Gibson.... a luthier’s brand or other manufacture brand is fine.

Why in the hell do someone need to have a replica with a Gibson brand when it’s not a Gibson????
(especially if it's better than a real Gibson)

The only answer is to fool someone else that it is a real Gibson.

And why do that???

$$$$.... or make your dick look bigger.:laugh2:

I would think that rocking a guitar that's better than Gibson,... you wouldn't need to lie about it... that's just me.
Decent point!

MiniB

Reaction score
I can see how the Gibson or Fender logo is the last 'finishing touch' to a well-made replica...like having a Shelby badge on a Cobra replica kit build. Also....and this is hypothetical ;) ....even if say you're building a hand-wired clone of a Blackface Fender Amp....sometimes that final build doesn't quite look right without the script-logo faceplate and the silver badge in the corner of the grille cloth. So I guess for some, as long as they're not planning on selling it...or at least clearly indicate that it's a replica if they do.......

But on a bad Chinese knockoff....no....that deserves cutting off a hand.

Latest Threads