Chibson controversy

Robmosis

Reaction score
Ok. So I might be a dick, but we got a local guy who does repair work. Worked for Gibson. Does good work. He took a chibson, did a bunch of work to it, replaced the hardware and electronics w/Gibson parts. And with full disclosure, put it on Craigslist for sale. He was completely honest about what it was. I can’t remember how much he was asking for it, around $500. I think. It was a copy of a high end LP. I guess I have some deep seated issues about patriotism, but I just find this kind of F’d up.

Caretaker

Reaction score
If he is up front about it, I see no harm.
I do not agree with Chibson, just put your own name on it and sell it for what it is.
But it`s no different than an Edwards, Burny, etc(which I love and play all).
I personally DO own a Chibson. Got it on a trade and it has all changed parts. Just the husk itself is chinese.
It looks, plays an sounds just as good as any other guitar i own.
If I ever do sell it, it will have full disclosure and whoever buys it will know exactly what it is, and isn`t.

If YOU are not buying it, why do you care?

Hydra19

Reaction score
Years ago I was in a gnr cover band and got a chibson so I don't worry about my good guitar
getting stolen from the bars.
I upgraded it with a the best parts do it was adequate. When I sold it for £50, I was upfront what it was I why I got it, but that guy put on sale for £300, saying his luthier had upgraded it and checked it over.

Robmosis

Reaction score
I do not agree with Chibson, just put your own name on it and sell it for what it is.
I personally DO own a Chibson. Got it on a trade and it has all changed parts. Just the husk itself is chinese.
If I ever do sell it, it will have full disclosure and whoever buys it will know exactly what it is, and isn`t.

Yeah, I shouldn’t care. But you can get a DC junior for $550 at GC, a real Gibson. But like I said, I got issues

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any guitar branded as a Gibson and its not, is fraud.... period

A copy of a Gibson that is properly branded as something different ( Edwards Burny Greco Fuji,... ect) is fair game.

I have a DC Junior made to 1958 Gibson specs by my favorite luthier with his brand on it ( Desert Star )..... it’s not a Gibson and I’m proud that it isn’t.

If you stuff your pants with a stick of salami on stage I guess it’s cool to sport a fake Gibson branded guitar.... no harm ... no foul.... we know who you are:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
Its counterfeit. A forgery. Not only uncool but illegal. Regardless of where it came from or how "upfront" the seller is, it seems no different to me than knowingly passing stolen goods and sooner or later down the line some poor sap is going to pay good money for their dream guitar and get burned by the deceit.

dro

Reaction score
Must've gotten a deal on the parts. I did a build on a LP Custom husk. The parts I bought were more than that. 10 years ago

LSAR

Reaction score
Devil's advocate... How about the Derrig ghostbuilds, or the Max ghostbuilds that have "Gibson" on the headstock? Do they get a pass?
No. Counterfeit is counterfeit, and illegal no matter who does it.

The harm comes when someone does a shit job for cheap and someone who doesn't know what they're getting into gets burned down the road, but the principle is the same at any price point...though admittedly if a higer priced "replica" is staying in that higher priced market it is less likely to be passed on as something it isn't given the likely more knowledgeable customer base. I can understand that if it is a replica of a specific guitar...not a model of guitar.

jbash

Reaction score
Devil's advocate... How about the Derrig ghostbuilds, or the Max ghostbuilds that have "Gibson" on the headstock? Do they get a pass?
Not for me.

Quality doesn't determine legitimacy. $200 POS or 15K masterpiece.

If the guy had putt Derrig on the headstock like Gill Yaron does, fine by me.

Funny thing is, I just bought a Gibson that looks like the Derrig. Is mine a legit copy of the copy? Do I need to get the headstock changed to Derrig? WTF??? :laugh2:

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as the others,.... NO.

If you contract a replica build you might as well be proud of your luthier and have his/her mark on it....

..... otherwise you’re having a high quality built counterfeit. Selling it would be a criminal offense. Burning it would be fine.

That’s just my opinion

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now here’s a thought you might consider.

Say you have a real Gibson that was severely damaged and required a new neck and refinish..... in concept only the body is original.

A luthier fabricated neck and rebuild of damaged guitar is fine with me,... but I still think that there should be a mark indicating it’s been a luthier rebuild.... stamped on the back of the headstock .... maybe

Now consider a Les Paul neck attached to a luthier fabricated body..... ??

How much of the original instrument is required to consider it intact enough to be a Gibson?

Just food for thought.....

My opinion is any major reconstruction needs full disclosure for resale..... and some sort of documentation even if it’s just a small luthier mark on the back of the headstock...

I know this is a bit off topic,... but considering all these “replica” luthier builds and “conversion” builds of early original 50s to late 50s on the rise.... I think the whole fraud issue has blurred boundaries.... even real Gibson’s can be made to be fraudulent to rob the unsuspecting.

bum

Reaction score
I cannot think of anything sadder than owning a Chibson.
The 'I don't pretend it's a Gibson' does not wash with me, even if they mean it, the next owner, or the one after that won't.
At some point that guitar will be on the market as a Gibson, there is no one that can convince me otherwise.
Also, can you imagine the conversation these people will HAVE to have at some point?
"Hey man, nice Gibson!"
At his point they have two options:
1) Lie - Say "Thanks man yeah she is my baby, I named her Jessica"
2) Be honest - "Yeah, I bought it off Ali Express for $200 - I changed the tuners, pickups, wiring, bridge, nut and now it's better than any Tanglewood!"

It's just sad all round.
Here is a pro tip: If you can't afford that dream Les Paul, buy a Yamaha Revstar, or a Reverend, or a Mexican Tele Deluxe, or an Ibanez or an Epiphone - There are many options, many great guitars at every price point these days - That you can be proud of.

Every unboxing of a Chibson I have ever seen goes like this:

A dude says 'So after 8 weeks my Les Paul arrived'
Then they drag out that weird, trapezoid shaped box wrapped in tons of that distinctive yellow tape.
At this point you usually get a speech about how 'these are actually made in the Epiphone factory'
You then get a good 5 minutes shot of their ass crack as they clumsily use a box cutter to liberate the guitar, a sight I could do without if I am honest, I do not need to see your ass crack guys.
Then they remove the guitar from a white plastic bag inside, you can literally feel the static electricity in the room as bits of polystyrene stick to them.
Then the reveal - 9 times out of 10 they've gone for the most gaudy finish possible - 'This purple and green burst really pops and the maple cap, well veneer is bookmatched, it's just gorgeous'
Then a good 10 minutes while they show us the 'it's got a, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 piece body and yup - they nailed the scarf joint'
After that a good session of tuning up, usually sped up on the video so it only takes 10 minutes.
Then after all that, they plug in and amidst a wall of micro-phonic feedback they hit a distorted open G chord that sounds like an orchestra being murdered and proudly exclaim how 'awesome' it sounds.

Then the videos end with them showing a 'few minor flaws' like the pickup switch is noisy, it can't hold tune (probably the strings, right?) the jack plug buzzes and the intonation is way out - but that's OK! Because:

'Of course I'll be upgrading the wiring, pickups, nut, bridge and jackplug'

And I just sit there, thinking - Buy an Epiphone

Robmosis

Reaction score
Must've gotten a deal on the parts. I did a build on a LP Custom husk. The parts I bought were more than that. 10 years ago
Yeah, now that I’m thinking back, I believe he was asking about $700.

jbash

Reaction score
I cannot think of anything sadder than owning a Chibson.
The 'I don't pretend it's a Gibson' does not wash with me, even if they mean it, the next owner, or the one after that won't.
At some point that guitar will be on the market as a Gibson, there is no one that can convince me otherwise.
Also, can you imagine the conversation these people will HAVE to have at some point?
"Hey man, nice Gibson!"
At his point they have two options:
1) Lie - Say "Thanks man yeah she is my baby, I named her Jessica"
2) Be honest - "Yeah, I bought it off Ali Express for $200 - I changed the tuners, pickups, wiring, bridge, nut and now it's better than any Tanglewood!"

It's just sad all round.
Here is a pro tip: If you can't afford that dream Les Paul, buy a Yamaha Revstar, or a Reverend, or a Mexican Tele Deluxe, or an Ibanez or an Epiphone - There are many options, many great guitars at every price point these days - That you can be proud of.

Every unboxing of a Chibson I have ever seen goes like this:

A dude says 'So after 8 weeks my Les Paul arrived'
Then they drag out that weird, trapezoid shaped box wrapped in tons of that distinctive yellow tape.
At this point you usually get a speech about how 'these are actually made in the Epiphone factory'
You then get a good 5 minutes shot of their ass crack as they clumsily use a box cutter to liberate the guitar, a sight I could do without if I am honest, I do not need to see your ass crack guys.
Then they remove the guitar from a white plastic bag inside, you can literally feel the static electricity in the room as bits of polystyrene stick to them.
Then the reveal - 9 times out of 10 they've gone for the most gaudy finish possible - 'This purple and green burst really pops and the maple cap, well veneer is bookmatched, it's just gorgeous'
Then a good 10 minutes while they show us the 'it's got a, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 piece body and yup - they nailed the scarf joint'
After that a good session of tuning up, usually sped up on the video so it only takes 10 minutes.
Then after all that, they plug in and amidst a wall of micro-phonic feedback they hit a distorted open G chord that sounds like an orchestra being murdered and proudly exclaim how 'awesome' it sounds.

Then the videos end with them showing a 'few minor flaws' like the pickup switch is noisy, it can't hold tune (probably the strings, right?) the jack plug buzzes and the intonation is way out - but that's OK! Because:

'Of course I'll be upgrading the wiring, pickups, nut, bridge and jackplug'

And I just sit there, thinking - Buy an Epiphone

:applause:

moreles

Reaction score
Can't put a Gibson logo on a non-Gibson and sell it. Period. Even if you explain. You can do so for your own use, I believe. But not if it changes hands. Ever. Puttong this one up for sale is both illegal and wrong. It's not a matter of personal opinion, etc.

ns2a

Reaction score

No. Eventually someone will sell it as a Gibson and someone will get taken.

Try using “replica “ $100 bills and see how that goes.

Latest Threads