Chevy Bolt EV fires, burning down the house.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Ev's are coming whether you like it or not..
You might keep the gas guzzlers for a few years but eventually as less gasoline is going to be required its going to go up up up in price..

View attachment 535817

View attachment 535818
View attachment 535819
wait, as demand goes down, price will go UP? I can see a little of that when it gets to where it's niche product, and there are less players and delivery infrastructure diminishes. However, crude oil refining will always end up with some gasoline, and oil refining isn't going away. Too many useful things are made of oil.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d take a chance on a hybrid. I was told that it wouldn’t be very beneficial to me because most of my travel is highway. I don’t know if that’s accurate at all, I haven’t looked into it.
I wouldn’t say hybrid is meant for city driving only. Do you have a +150 mile drive 1 way?

if you have a long drive with traffic and A/C or Heat then a Battery Electric Vehicle may not always work but a hybrid still runs on gas.

See if (eventually) you can rent a prius for a day or 2 and check it out.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait, as demand goes down, price will go UP? I can see a little of that when it gets to where it's niche product, and there are less players and delivery infrastructure diminishes. However, crude oil refining will always end up with some gasoline, and oil refining isn't going away. Too many useful things are made of oil.

Yes! Thats a point, can you make a battery or insulation on the wiring with 0% petroleum ;)

And i just realized we are back to the same arguments we all always make :thumb:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone thinks they’re just gonna stop using oil altogether. I suspect that the plan is to stop using it as personal automotive and public utility sources. We’re still gonna use plastic, and ships, trucks and trains won’t run long on a battery.
I won’t elaborate too much on that.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it’s also a crossover then, it keeps you warm when it turns into a heater :dunno:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i saw a sweet tesla 2 seat sports car at a car shoe in ocala saturday.i guess i should hang my head in shame,but if the gubmint wants to subsidize me for one of those,im in.

jvin248

Reaction score
I couldn't care ... EVs are never going to be practical. You still have to generate that electricity....
I used to be skeptical too until I realized electric vehicles enable a change in energy control, globally.

It's a bit challenging to put one of these refineries in your back yard, and that is if you can find a suitable place to drill successfully out there under the swing set.

But you can certainly put one of these in your back yard ... or on your roof. And the performance efficiencies will only increase as more people demand them.

Electric vehicles enable car owners to have control of their fuel costs.

One specific case is that solar systems will allow retirees (and there are huge numbers of Boomers retiring now), who often drive much less than those younger, to supplement their social security checks by selling excess power they do not use back into the grid. The power collection system behind that famous car that was only driven on Sundays to the market will send that little old lady checks to buy those groceries all week.

In a typical family budget, their monthly payments go: House mortgage, vehicle loan, fuel, and then the other things unless they have a problematic habit of a fistful of Starbucks every day. Fuel cost is important to a family getting by.

Gasoline apparently just hit $6/gallon in California.

Usually when fuel hits $4/gallon for extended periods that results in over $100 per tank per week for the typical commuter which causes them to realize the cost is more than their phone plan and they want to dump the big inefficient truck/suv. Perhaps get an electric vehicle...

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone thinks they’re just gonna stop using oil altogether. I suspect that the plan is to stop using it as personal automotive and public utility sources. We’re still gonna use plastic, and ships, trucks and trains won’t run long on a battery.
I won’t elaborate too much on that.
Plastics and many other things are made with what is essentially “residue” from crude oil. Refineries use heat, pressure, catalysts and several processes to make as much gasoline, diesel and fuels from each barrel of crude oil as possible. What’s left is used for heavy fuel oil for ships, plastics and other products.

I don’t see how it would be economical to explore for, produce and transport crude oil just for plastics, etc.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
It’s not that I dislike the concept of EVs, because I do. Rather, I don’t think the engineering is fully cooked — yet. The lack of range is seemingly being addressed on higher dollar models. But the long charging time issue and the lack of quick charge stations in parts of the US remain problems for many of us. And what is with these fires? So while EVs are a great concept, the concept needs a good bit of development.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Plastics and many other things are made with what is essentially “residue” from crude oil. Refineries use heat, pressure, catalysts and several processes to make as much gasoline, diesel and fuels from each barrel of crude oil as possible. What’s left is used for heavy fuel oil for ships, plastics and other products.

I don’t see how it would be economical to explore for, produce and transport crude oil just for plastics, etc.
That’s why I figured they’d still be running ships, trains and long distance trucks on fuel, which would leave enough residuals for plastic, while lowering the price/demand on transportation of goods.
I don’t think any of this will happen anyway, just thinking out loud. Someone will encourage the public to move away from ICE cars for personal use, and only ships, trains, trucks and planes will use the actual fuel. I’d think local buses/trucks will all move to natural gas or something.
You know... in utopia.

Olds442

Reaction score
That’s why I figured they’d still be running ships, trains and long distance trucks on fuel, which would leave enough residuals for plastic, while lowering the price/demand on transportation of goods.
I don’t think any of this will happen anyway, just thinking out loud. Someone will encourage the public to move away from ICE cars for personal use, and only ships, trains, trucks and planes will use the actual fuel. I’d think local buses/trucks will all move to natural gas or something.
You know... in utopia.
electric bus factory coming to Joliet Illinois, just saw that story this am.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
What if someone saw me driving a Prius? I’d be mortified!
I stopped to see an old buddy last weekend that I haven’t seen in a dozen years. He was drinking a White Claw while cutting his grass and had a Subaru in the driveway. I asked him when he decided to come out as a lesbian. :rofl:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
electric bus factory coming to Joliet Illinois, just saw that story this am.

That sounds insane to me. It would take so long to charge the buses and trucks. They’d probably need three times as many electric buses as they would need for natural gas, where you hook up the hose for a few minutes and it’s ready to go. It would also scale up the battery fire problems, as well as battery disposal problems.
I just don’t get the reasoning behind it.

Latest Threads