Chevy Bolt EV fires, burning down the house.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
IDK, but I understand EVs use big lithium ion batteries. Airlines won't let me fly even with small ones due to the fire hazzard. This is one of several reasons I don't own an EV and don't plan to.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Your smartphone has a LI battery. Allowed by airlines.
Yup. In phones they are OK. Except for that Samsung a few back.

They won't let you carry spares. Not sure if they can ground against things in your luggage and overheat?

Martijn R.

Reaction score
Everything depends on the type of lithium battery. There is a difference between liquid and solid types in regards to stability.
Separate battery cells are more prone to mishaps as there is no added technology to prevent mishaps like overcharge or deep discharge.
This is also why airlines have an issue with separate cells and less issues with complete devices, they have whole flowcharts to follow per type of battery and even per battery manufacturer to determine if it can be shipped or not.

In regards to EV's I do not know for sure but I can imagine it would have something to do with pushing the limits in regards to size, capacity, weight and stability. Or they just use cheap electronics which fails and causes al sorts of risks like it can with very affordable electric bikes.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A gas tank needs oxygen and ignition.

A battery is stored potential chemical energy (it has everything it needs to make power inside already)

That said we will all eventually be driving hybrids.

&, right now i drive a port injection stick shift sports car. :thumb:

fry

Reaction score
we will all eventually be driving hybrids
I’d take a chance on a hybrid. I was told that it wouldn’t be very beneficial to me because most of my travel is highway. I don’t know if that’s accurate at all, I haven’t looked into it.

Latest Threads