Chevron, exploding fracking wells, free pizza....

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

"Last Tuesday, the residents of the small rural community of Bobtown in the far southwestern corner of Pennsylvania woke up to a horrible shock -- the sound of a massive explosion in their backyards. The source of the blast and the intensely hot fire that followed was a Chevron fracking well that had been set to begin production, but instead shot orange flames high into the air and gave off loud hissing sounds that could be heard hundreds of yards away.

John Kuis, 57, of nearby Dilliner told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that at 6:45 a.m., his dog growled, then the earth rumbled, and finally: "Then the house just sort of shook and there was a big loud bang." Another neighbor told the paper that the fracking explosion "sounded like a jet engine going 5 feet above your house."

It was a horrific event on every level. One worker at the rig was not found and is presumed dead. The fire -- who posed enormous risks to rescue workers and to the surrounding community -- burned intensely for five days before it was finally extinguished. Despite reassurances, neighbors surely worried whether toxins were released in the fiery aftermath.
Of course, living near a fracking rig in Pennsylvania -- the state that Gov. Corbett has promised will become "the Texas of natural gas" -- isn't a picnic under the best of circumstances; scores of neighbors have complained about polluted drinking water or foul odors or ailing pets and livestock, of headaches and nausea and skin rashes.

But the people of Bobtown who endured the Chevron blast got a sweet -- or rather savory -- consolation prize for all that agita. Pizza, pizza!. OK. actually just...pizza.

Local residents were delivered a note (pictured above), dated Sunday, from the Chevron Community Outreach Team. It states in part:

"Chevron recognizes the effect this has had on the community. We value being a responsible member of this community and will continue to strive to achieve incident-free operations. We are committed to taking action to safeguard our neighbors, our employees, our contractors and the environment…"

Tucked inside the envelope was a gift certificate to Bobtown Pizza, courtesy of Chevron. It entitles the resident to a free large pizza, and before you say something like, “Boy, is that chintzy,” you should know that was just the beginning, that the coupon also entitles the holder to a 2-liter soda.

Is there a catch? Well, sort of – the certificate is good for a "special combo only." Remember, Chevron's yearly profits declined in 2013 and the firm made just barely over $21 billion. You weren't really expected pepperoni, too, were you? (Note: the pizza certificates were first reported by No Fracking Way and Raging Chicken Press -- I called (!!) the pizza shop and confirmed that about 100 of the certificates were distributed by Chevron.)
Of course, a cynic would argue that a lifetime supply of pizza -- even with those cheesy breadsticks thrown in -- wouldn't be worth the health risks of having a massive fracking rig next door. On the other hand, I see a possible new marketing campaign for Chevron: We guarantee your fracking rig won't explode, or your pizza is free!

Read more at The Chevron Guarantee: Our well won't explode...or your pizza is free!

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
" We are committed to taking action to safeguard our neighbors, our employees, our contractors and the environment…"

Dig the listed order. :cool:

amazing how primitive we still are.

Fossil fuels and sh*t. :laugh2:

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad to see someone is looking out for the shareholders! Responsible business practices Chevron, good job.

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
Indeedy doodley.

But it's bidness as usual in the 21st century!

Actinic

Reaction score
How about a coupon for free Chevron gasoline for a month? Jeez. what a bunch of cheapskates.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One worker at the rig was not found and is presumed dead. The fire -- who posed enormous risks to rescue workers and to the surrounding community -- burned intensely for five days before it was finally extinguished.

Does anybody remember reading or hearing about this incident on any of the major news outlets?

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nope, can't say I heard of it until your post.

The news doesn't really report the news anymore.

Tonight was a 5 second blip on the riots in the Ukraine and a 5 minute piece on the supposed 'Clown Shortage',...complete with Twitter-feeds from viewers coming up on the screen that the newscaster would read out loud. (and interestingly enough, didn't read accurately. Replacing "we" with "they" ... and stuff like that.)

and my GF didn't understand why I was yelling, "I don't give a f*ck about Twitter!" at the TV.

Silly me,...I was expecting news when I turned on the news.

I gotta remember to stop doing that.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always love the sappy commercials major petroleum companies always make showing how they're awesome stewards of the environment or whatever - Showing people cleaning oil soaked wildlife and such, with some emotional music in,the background, and a narrator rambling on about the company's dedication to the environment.

They would set the whole world on fire if they could get away with it and still turn a profit.

Northwinds

Reaction score
If people really knew how much bad shit happens on drilling/fracking sites...

A friend of mine in Wyoming is just cleaning up a mess, you hardly ever see stuff reported as it's out in the sticks

The above picture shows where the spill started, it's 2 miles from where they finally stopped it. This was caused by frost

Here is his quote on what happened and how they stopped it

"What a sumbitch... The resevoir was full and running out the spillway, oil was coming with the thaw water, 50 deg today so there was a river in every draw. Had to decide where to make a stand. Just so happens there was a 20 acre resevoir right before the xxxxx River, which is only a mile from xxxxx res. The guy that was in charge of the cleanup didn't have a clue so he was relieved and the xxxxx crew took over. I ordered up some 36" culvert and had them make a T to make a shallow siphon. That allows water to be let out the culvert but the water is drawn from under surface so no oil is let out off the top. We had to set the siphon in a foot of running water after we made the final cut because we had to relieve some pressure on the spillway in order to have that hold with what we dug out of the bottom of the spillway. We got everything set, backfilled and packed and had water going out the siphon then started on damming up the spill way. The original cleanup crew wanted to wait till morning and haul rip rap and fill dirt. I jumped in the pickup and told em Ok, but the oil is 30 minutes away. They didn't believe me so I drug one of em out of his pickup and we took a little walk UPCREEK. The oil was 300 yards away. I said now are we going to build a mud dam or call the Game and Fish Dept? We built a mud dam. It was cold enough it started to freeze as we built it and it was holding with 1-1/2 feet of differential elevation.The siphon held also . The oil hit the dam just as we threw the last few bucketfuls on the dam"

xxxxx's inserted to protect my friend's job standing, he did what others could not and has been doing this stuff most of his life. He is a true roughneck and a heck of a good guy who does not put up with any crap but gets the job done no matter what or how long it takes

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nope, can't say I heard of it until your post.

The news doesn't really report the news anymore.

Silly me,...I was expecting news when I turned on the news.

I gotta remember to stop doing that.

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
My gal worked for Chevron for years.....Lotta interesting stories from her about the business.

twst1up

Reaction score
thats not too far from where i am...and i haven't heard one thing about it on the local news nor the Pittsburgh news

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Gubm't cheese = Corporate pizza.

WHat's in your wallet?

Sloppy Joe

Reaction score
Business as usual for Chevron(just like many other US super-mega corporations). They do whatever it takes to make more and more money, and when the inevitable problems and disasters occur, they pretend like they actually care.

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the New Normal.

Enjoy your pizza.

I wonder if there is fine print saying that redeeming that gift certificate absolves Chevron of any civil liability.