Cherry Strat Build

SlingBlader

Reaction score
More work on the necks.

Heated up the glue pot. This stuff is delicious on toast. :thumb:

Here is a shot of one of the plastic alignment pins. These are very cheap side dot rods from Grizzly.

Both necks are quickly glued and then into the bag.

Once dry, the usual routine of Robosanding followed by pattern routing to make them flush.

Here are both necks after dots are installed. One has 1/4" MOP, the other has 6mm plastic dots. Like I said, I'm using whatever I have on had.

I drilled the tuner holes, then sliced off a piece to bring the headstocks down to size.

I used the oscillating spindle sander to sand the transition.

Then I cleaned up and blended the face of the headstock.

Now they needs some frets, nuts and some carving. :)

More soon.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
A little more progress on the necks.

Trued up the nut slot. Yep, flat bottom. I can't handle complications. :D

Settling in with a nice porter for some fretting. :)

Pressing in frets. Dots have been installed, but not filed yet. This neck is getting plastic dots, the other gets MOP.

Frets installed, ready to be trimmed.

I undercut the frets a bit, so here I'm filling the slots with rosewood dust and CA.

Frets are filed flush and beveled.

More soon. :)

pshupe

Reaction score
A little more progress on the necks.

Trued up the nut slot. Yep, flat bottom. I can't handle complications. :D

Settling in with a nice porter for some fretting. :)

Pressing in frets. Dots have been installed, but not filed yet. This neck is getting plastic dots, the other gets MOP.

Frets installed, ready to be trimmed.

I undercut the frets a bit, so here I'm filling the slots with rosewood dust and CA.

Frets are filed flush and beveled.

Nice - What did you do to the Stew Mac arbour press to get it to sit flat on your bench with the table attached? This was one of the things that was a head scratcher for me as to why they designed it like that.
Capture.JPG

Did you do this?

Cheers Peter.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Curious if you made your truss wheel openings wide enough. I recently had a fit of rage on a REALLY nice neck I’m building. I made the slot only as wide as the wheel. Unfortunately, that barely gives enough room for the truss adjustment rod to turn the wheel. I should have given myself an extra 1/16-1/8” extra on both side. Live and learn, right?

That aside, those necks look great.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Nice - What did you do to the Stew Mac arbour press to get it to sit flat on your bench with the table attached? This was one of the things that was a head scratcher for me as to why they designed it like that.
View attachment 443507

Did you do this?

Cheers Peter.
Hi Peter. Yep, I drilled a hole through my "tall" bench, which has a plywood top... but I only made the hole large enough for the bolt to slip through. It works very well.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Curious if you made your truss wheel openings wide enough. I recently had a fit of rage on a REALLY nice neck I’m building. I made the slot only as wide as the wheel. Unfortunately, that barely gives enough room for the truss adjustment rod to turn the wheel. I should have given myself an extra 1/16-1/8” extra on both side. Live and learn, right?

That aside, those necks look great.
Ha! Yeah, I think I did... but we will see very soon. I know it will be a bit close on the "depth", meaning that it is a bit close to the heel end of the neck... but I think it should be OK. :D

SlingBlader

Reaction score
A little work on the Strat body...

I mounted a roundover bit in the router table.

Created roundovers in 3 passes, only taking a small amount on each pass to avoid tear-out.

Drilled the neck screw holes and put a little chamfer on them.

Marked the belly cut and got ready to start carving.

Belly cut roughly carved.

Ready to start on the forearm contour.

Forearm contour roughly carved. Marking out blend lines to be rounded over by hand.

Starting to come together here.

I could probably thin this out a bit more. This is my first time on a Fender styled build, so I'm a bit unsure... just winging it.
;)
;)

Pretty much finished with the body aside from the tremolo studs.

I'm pretty happy so far. Once I test fit the neck and get the trem studs located, I'll give the body another once-over and tweak some lines where necessary.

Thanks for looking, more soon.
:)
:)

Last edited:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
cant see pics in last post, but if they're anything like the fretboard, me wanna see. that fb is gorgeous. nice, clean work.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with others that this is beautiful clean work. Also very interesting for me to see your process (and get the warning), as I'm planning on doing my first spoke truss rods in 2021.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
cant see pics in last post, but if they're anything like the fretboard, me wanna see. that fb is gorgeous. nice, clean work.
Thanks, FDP! I appreciate it. :)

I'm not sure how I goofed up the image links... but I think I fixed it now. Thanks for the heads-up. It looked OK on my end, so I had no idea. :dunno:

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with others that this is beautiful clean work. Also very interesting for me to see your process (and get the warning), as I'm planning on doing my first spoke truss rods in 2021.
Thanks, Barnaby. I appreciate that. :D

I'm not always sure about my processes as I only have a few builds under my belt so far. Sometimes I take some goofy approaches. :naughty:

What will the spoke wheel rods be going in?

Barnaby

Reaction score
Thanks, Barnaby. I appreciate that. :D

I'm not always sure about my processes as I only have a few builds under my belt so far. Sometimes I take some goofy approaches. :naughty:

What will the spoke wheel rods be going in?
Cheers! Goofy approaches are the best. Who wants to just follow a recipe all the time?

One will be a modern take on the Tele, either with a 14" board and stainless frets or with a True-Temperament board (if I can get one). The other will be more of a superlight shredder prototype with a carved top and a compound radius.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
got the pics, and as expected...they were worth the wait. as far as building practice and procedures. I've only built a dozen or so guitars, and not sure if i've ever done two exactly the same way. i always find myself massaging one or more of the procedures, but generally satisfied with the results. whatever procedures you use, it definately works for you.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I haven't updated this thread in a while... mostly due to the current events. Strange times, indeed!

I've made some good progress on the Cherry Strat project, so here are some shots of getting the neck carve completed.

I'm using the StewMac 1962 Strat neck profile template along with the dimensions of my rough neck to calculate facet placement.

I marked the facet lines and drew in additional contour lines.

First facet mostly done.

First two facets roughed in.

Laying out the next set of facets and initial stock removal.

Roughing in the headstock contour.

Starting to take shape here. Still pretty flat on the back of the neck as I have not touched much of the center yet.

Bringing the overall thickness close to final dimension and working with sand paper at this step.

Looks pleasing to my eye. Not sure if it's technically correct or not, but who cares? :D

Tonyd145

Reaction score
Neck looks fantastic, much like the body, carving the neck is my favorite part of a build. Thank for the update, strange times indeed.

Latest Threads