Cherry SG Standard with WHITE pickguard? Anyone done it?

Diocletian

Reaction score
Googling brings up pretty much nothing for this. I have two cherry Standards now and it seems like modding one (the darker coloured) with a white pickguard would work really well. I bought a white pickguard from Allparts but it didn't fit ANY of my SGs (1999, 2005, 2016) so I'd need to get one custom made.
Before I go to that expense though, I'd like to see some pics of how it might look.

SOMEONE on here must have done it surely!

Would like to do it to the one on the left here - the pic of Angus on the back of the "Fly On The Wall" album has stuck in my mind for 25+ years!

Diocletian

Reaction score
So I tried it. Paid about £25 for a white guard from Allparts and it didn't fit any of my 3 SGs. Bought a cheapo from ebay and that one DID fit!
I put it onto the '99 but I really don't think it looked that good. What d'you all think? I don't have any more pics because I put the black guard back on almost straight away.
I also removed the chrome pickups and put them into the much nicer coloured 2005. That one is a keeper but I'll probably just sell the '99, seems little point in keeping it.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I pondered buying all gold pickups and hardware to go with the white pickguard but I still don't think it would work as well as the black guard. I also thought about routing a hole for a third pickup which MIGHT look really cool but I just can't be arsed with it all.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I finally figured out what it needed. Took a couple of hours to cut the extra hole in the pickguard then drill/chisel out a space in the guitar for the dummy middle pickup. It's still wired as stock, 2 humbuckers. And I love it! Might "age" the pickguard by soaking it in coffee but for now it rocks.

thebowl

Reaction score
White isn't exactly hideously ugly, but black looks far better on a Cherry SG. It really isn't close. YMMV.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I agree. If it was the only SG I had I would have left it with the stock black pickguard. But I didn't see the point in having two cherry/black. I actually tried selling this one but no takers so thought I'd make it a little different. I think the three of them look great together.

Latest Threads