Cherry Red ‘71 LPC

3OF5

Reaction score
A guy I know is having shoulder problems and looking to get an LP that’s lighter than the ‘71 LPC he has. I haven’t done any close-up inspection but he sent me a few photos (see below). According to him, it has the original T-Tops, waffle tuners, 3-piece maple top, witch-hat knobs, ebony board, MOP inlays and hard case. He says that the Cherry finish was not a standard color in ‘71 and was special-order only.
He’s considering trading it in on a weight-relieved LP Standard of more recent vintage but I told him that his Custom may be worth enough to get some cash in the bargain. I told him that I would check with you guys to see how unusual/valuable his guitar is. I’m thinking somewhere in the $3K-$8K range, but what do I know? The frets look to need some attention, but the rest of the wear might be called Patina.
Anyway, here are a few shots (sorry for the cockeyed ones) to give you a sense of what he has. If there were a real incentive to do so, I’m sure that I could persuade him to take a look at the pots and pickups. Any thoughts from you Norlin Customs aficianados would be appreciated.
AD8B108B-B888-42DC-9F34-9C3C27AF5D54.jpeg FD087A98-929D-420A-85E0-93535F5296E1.jpeg 247FF4A1-81A7-4AC8-B0B8-43EA443CA836.jpeg 70A83903-CA60-47F9-B19C-58BEABC191CB.jpeg

motowntom

Reaction score
A guy I know is having shoulder problems and looking to get an LP that’s lighter than the ‘71 LPC he has. I haven’t done any close-up inspection but he sent me a few photos (see below). According to him, it has the original T-Tops, waffle tuners, 3-piece maple top, witch-hat knobs, ebony board, MOP inlays and hard case. He says that the Cherry finish was not a standard color in ‘71 and was special-order only.
He’s considering trading it in on a weight-relieved LP Standard of more recent vintage but I told him that his Custom may be worth enough to get some cash in the bargain. I told him that I would check with you guys to see how unusual/valuable his guitar is. I’m thinking somewhere in the $3K-$8K range, but what do I know? The frets look to need some attention, but the rest of the wear might be called Patina.
Anyway, here are a few shots (sorry for the cockeyed ones) to give you a sense of what he has. If there were a real incentive to do so, I’m sure that I could persuade him to take a look at the pots and pickups. Any thoughts from you Norlin Customs aficianados would be appreciated.
View attachment 557989 View attachment 557991 View attachment 557992 View attachment 557993
Cheers

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I think it is Wine Red and not a special finish....I have seen several "Cherry Red" Les Paul's in 72/73 and the finish does not look like this.

Frets are beat to shit...has to be done.

I would want plenty more pics to really go out on the line....there's really not a lot to go on here

but from what I can see, with the wear/frets etc. if it is actually a 1971, and everything is 100% stock...probably a solid $$3800-$4000 guitar if a man is patient.

If he wants to sell it today, $3300-$3500.

3OF5

Reaction score
I think it is Wine Red and not a special finish....I have seen several "Cherry Red" Les Paul's in 72/73 and the finish does not look like this.

Thanks for the reply. As for the color, fifty years of fading captured by a cellphone camera makes for a lot of uncertainty. Wine Red didn’t appear until ‘74, if I’m not mistaken, but there were Cherry LPCs shipped in ‘71 according to Vintage Guitar and Bass Magazine:

“Cherry Sunburst was first listed in price lists as an option in mid 1971 (Gibson price list 26/06/71)…According to shipping figures, Cherry was also available at this time (though never mentioned in any Gibson price lists or catalogues). Tobacco was available from 1972 (Again never listed). In this period, two humbuckers was the norm, but three pickup models were available as a special order option…”

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
If there were "cherry" LP's shipped from the factory in 1971, why would you say this is a "custom order" color...that makes no sense. You can't have it both ways.....

I think you are correct on wine red coming in 74.....see if the literature says "ox-blood" as a color in 71.

It may be "cherry" but it is the worst example of the color I have seen....every true "cherry red" had an "opaque" aspect about it.....all I have seen were 72's and 73's and then the color seemed to disappear.

Cherry sunburst came out a long time before 1971.

I don't believe anything printed in guitar and bass magazine, sorry.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
He's actually correct...

your link had nothing to add and everything to detract, so right when you posted the "Norlin sucks" link in this thread without any comment at all, you were trolling......something frowned upon here......therefore, the only "asshole opinions" here seems to be yours.
go bash somewhere else.

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
If there were "cherry" LP's shipped from the factory in 1971, why would you say this is a "custom order" color...that makes no sense. You can't have it both ways.....

I think you are correct on wine red coming in 74.....see if the literature says "ox-blood" as a color in 71.

It may be "cherry" but it is the worst example of the color I have seen....every true "cherry red" had an "opaque" aspect about it.....all I have seen were 72's and 73's and then the color seemed to disappear.

Cherry sunburst came out a long time before 1971.

I don't believe anything printed in guitar and bass magazine, sorry.

Couldn't he check under the pickups for a color code?

:dunno:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers

Whoever wrote that article didn't know jack shit about the Norlin era.........Norlin didn't sell Gibson because it was going out of business..........Norlin was going out of business!...........Gibson was the only company that Norlin had that they could sell that actually made money..........The same reason Mr. Hanky sold Gibson,....it was the only company under the Gibson brand that could float itself even under all of that debt.... Gibson has done it twice now. If the owners would let it be a stand alone guitar company this shit wouldn't happen.

Pure Bullshit...... in fact Norlin was running Gibson till 1986....not 1983..... that article was written by a complete moron.

:dunno:

Last edited:

motowntom

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming my initial assessment of you.

Also, I'm most definitely not you pal.
Your more than welcome....Pal.
Also your "assessment"/opinion means jack shit....
It is a well known fact in the guitar community that most Norlin era Gibson's generally sucked, there is plenty of documentation in that regard, just because somethings old doesn't make it great......Pal.
Cheers

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
In this thread, in this section, the only person who's opinion means jack shit, is yours....
take a hike.

you must have missed this? Let me post it again for you......
He's actually correct...

your link had nothing to add and everything to detract, so right when you posted the "Norlin sucks" link in this thread without any comment at all, you were trolling......something frowned upon here......therefore, the only "asshole opinions" here seems to be yours.
go bash somewhere else.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

So the general consensus is that this is most likely a 1974/75 LPC since it is winered?

yep, yep.

Last edited:

Latest Threads