Cherry and ziricote Strat build

dcomiskey

Reaction score
What a remarkable guitar this turned out to be. Never thought much about ziricote, but wow, does this look like a cork-sniffer level Strat. I just love it. I finally got a Strat template set last week and can’t wait to start using it.

This is an axe that’s always going to make you smile. Well done!

SlingBlader

Reaction score
What a remarkable guitar this turned out to be. Never thought much about ziricote, but wow, does this look like a cork-sniffer level Strat. I just love it. I finally got a Strat template set last week and can’t wait to start using it.

This is an axe that’s always going to make you smile. Well done!
Hey, thanks! I'm actually building this one for a friend of mine. He wanted something different, and ended up choosing ziricote because he liked how it looked on my 5 string bass build. He builds really wild, art piece/functional gadget items, so he's building me something in return, although I'm not clear on what it is. LOL. He's a creative genius, so I'm sure it will be cool. I built another strat in cherry with a 2 color sunburst for myself, so I do have that one to noodle on.

Can't wait to see your strat build, get crackin'!

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Well, I got this one assembled today and started the setup. It's playing great now, but I'll let it sit overnight before I try to tweak it any further. I really like the SD Everything Axe pickups. I added coil split on a push/pull pot for some options.

I still need to mount the trem cavity cover. Once that's done, I'll give it a final polish and remove the protective plastic which is still on the pickguard, then take some better pictures. Hopefully my buddy will be picking it up next weekend. I think he'll like it. :)

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I finally got around to snapping some better pictures of the cherry and ziricote Strat that I made for my buddy. The scheduling didn't work for him to pick it up last week, so he's coming over tomorrow to get it. In the meantime, I was able to tweak the setup a bit more, install the trem cover, remove the plastic from the pickguard, and give it a nice once-over/final polish. Here is the result. :)

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Bravo, sir! Your friend will love it
Thanks! Yes, he was here today to test drive it and take it to its new home. He was very pleased.

Mike has been a friend for a very long time and building this for him has been a pleasure. A few pics from today, and a few of us from 1986-1987 when we moved the whole band to LA to "make it".

We've lost a few inches in height and gained quite a number in girth since these shots were taken. LOL. (I'm the bass player, and obviously Mike was on guitar)

I'm in the middle, and Mikey is on the far left here. Doing our best Duran Duran look here I guess. :D

Latest Threads