Cherry and ziricote Strat build

SlingBlader

Reaction score
The pore filling on ziricote is hard to judge until you start shooting additional finish coats over it. So, I started to shoot some additional coats over the past couple of days.

The cherry back is looking nice.

The ziricote is looking pretty good. The pores are filling, but some of the deep ones will require some additional attention before more finish coats are added.

I sprayed on a little "instant bar room" tint to the neck. :D This is UV-aged nitro along with some additional brown and amber tint.

With any luck, I should finish up shooting in a couple of days. I know I'll be chasing some stray unfilled pores for a while.

More soon. :)

SlingBlader

Reaction score
What are you using for grain filler?
I'm using AquaCoat. I wanted something clear, but didn't want to mess with epoxy or CA.

I've used AquaCoat before, and it always takes longer than traditional pore fillers, but the ziricote is a bear. Seems like the pores keep opening up. But they are starting to level out now. :)

failsafe306

Reaction score
I'm using AquaCoat. I wanted something clear, but didn't want to mess with epoxy or CA.

I've used AquaCoat before, and it always takes longer than traditional pore fillers, but the ziricote is a bear. Seems like the pores keep opening up. But they are starting to level out now. :)
Yeah I used aquacoat on the current build I’m working on. After the fourth coat on mahogany, and grain still want filled, I gave up and threw a coat of timbermate on to finish up.
Next time I’m going back to the tried and true oil based filler, or maybe even trying out Simtec polyester sealer.

DaveR

Reaction score
I had horrible luck with Aqua coat under 2k. The finish just dissolved it and sank into the pores.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I thought I had posted some final shots when I wrapped up shooting finish on this one, but apparently I spaced it. :)

Since my buddy wanted a satin neck, I just shot a few more coats of the Mohawk instrument sealer and left it at that. It's pretty much just a satin nitro and Mohawk says it can be used as a standalone finish, so we're gonna try it. If he doesn't like it, I'll scuff it and shoot a couple coats of gloss over it.

On the pore filling front, I handled the rest of the bad ones with drop fills before shooting the gloss coats. This worked really well. As @DaveR mentioned, it may be that the nitro is eating into the AquaCoat. Maybe I should try a sealer coat of shellac over it instead?

Anyway, here are a few extra pics. I'm going to let it hang until sometime around mid-September before level sanding and polishing.

Some drop fills.

Still using my stamp kit that I got from @pinefd . :) There wasn't a great spot to stamp it on the ziricote, so I just winged it. (wung it?)

I'm hoping to jump back to my Les Paul Special build while this one is drying. :)

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Gorgeous!

I love Strats :)
Hey Chris! Good to see you back. :) And, thanks man. This is the second Strat that I've built, the other one has a cherry body, maple neck and a 2 color sunburst. Build thread is in my sig if you want to see it. I'm pretty happy with it!

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Been working on level sanding, cutting and polishing this project over the past few days. I've had fairly decent results previously, but usually ended up with a few faint scratches that I could not get rid of, or ended up with a faint swirl/halo type scratches. (the kind you get if you try to polish with terry cloth)

After some advice from @LtDave32 , I've taken a slightly different approach. First, I needed to slow down and be more methodical. So I spent more time on blocking with the wet sanding, changing out water frequently, keeping things cleaner, etc. This was a big improvement for sure. I started with 1000 on a small wood block, then used a rubber block with 1500 and 2000.

When it came to cutting and polishing I didn't use my buffing arbor this time, although I could have. Instead, I picked up a small random orbit detail buffer from Amazon. It came with various extensions, backer pads and a nice variety of polishing pads. (foam, microfiber, wool) I also picked up some better compounds and polish. I went with the 3M Perfect-it line 1, 2 and 3. That, combined with 3 different grades of foam pads gave a pretty remarkable result. I've now achieved that wet, deep shine without the halos. When I noticed a few scratches along the way, I just backed up, wet sanded with 2000, then polished that spot again.

I'll admit that this was a much more messy way to do things. I surrounded the area with cardboard shielding, but still managed to sling compound all over. Can't argue with the results, though. :D

Brewdude

Reaction score
Looks amazing!

Do you have a link for the orbital buffer you bought? I’ve been leaning in that direction before dropping the money (and really shop space) on a big buffing arbor and would love to know one that worked well.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
dammmnnnnn man.

shiny :)

I like it! that ziricote seriously pops!

I've got about 10 days till I can sand and buff my own recent Strat

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Looks amazing!

Do you have a link for the orbital buffer you bought? I’ve been leaning in that direction before dropping the money (and really shop space) on a big buffing arbor and would love to know one that worked well.
Thanks! Here is the one that I bought:

It's a decent one for the price. I wanted something smaller than a 5 or 6", but wish I could have found a small detail polisher that was dual action. I think that would really be the way to go.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
dammmnnnnn man.

shiny :)

I like it! that ziricote seriously pops!

I've got about 10 days till I can sand and buff my own recent Strat
Thanks, Chris. :) Yeah, this one is a good step up for me. I love that ziricote, but man, every little flaw shows up like a sore thumb! Probably like any dark color. Can't wait to see this assembed and handed over to the owner.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as you paint a white guitar, you'll be begging for a dark color.

Trust me.

SlingBlader

Reaction score
As soon as you paint a white guitar, you'll be begging for a dark color.

Trust me.
Haha! Yeah, I'm sure that's true, but I'm probably in no immediate danger there. Although the Fender Oly white is sorta cool.... :cheers2:

Latest Threads