Checking in from the UK

esseff

Reaction score
Good day, all. Thought I'd show my ugly face after lurking for a few years.
Retired aircraft engineer, living in Castle Donington, UK, the home of Download Festival, formerly Monsters of Rock.
Gibson history:
Present: 2007 white single pickup Melody Maker.
Past: 2014 Les Paul '70s Tribute.
Past: 2015 100th Birthday Les Paul Junior.
Past: Epiphone Les Paul Special x 2.

About 18 other miscellaneous guitars.

I'm off to open a few doors and look in dusty corners now. :io::cool:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A hearty welcome. Wifey and I would love to visit Old Blighty before we put off this mortal coil.

We're an odd lot here as you may have gathered from lurking: We insist upon pictures of one's guitars.

And if I may ask, aircraft engineer for whom? I'm a Battle of Britain enthusiast, so I have a special reverence for names such as Reginald Mitchell, Sydney Camm, et al.

Last edited:

esseff

Reaction score
Hi, Vinnie,
I've worked for several third-party maintenance companies, flying schools and small airlines in the UK, Spain and Africa. The best times were with Douglas DC3s, DC6s, De Havilland Doves & Herons and BN Islanders plus an outfit that operated classic and vintage aircraft for film, air display and pleasure flying. A bush flying company in Africa was fun too (most of the time). I also did some work a very long time ago in the RAF Colerne aircraft museum including a complete restoration on a Heinkel 162, which is now in the RAF Museum at Hendon, London.
Come on over once present conditions improve; there are some great places to visit but the weather can be ... changeable.
My last few years were spent on uninteresting Cessna piston and turboprop twins for a survey and freight company. There's an aircraft museum five minute's drive away that I think I'll do some occasional voluntary work for once the sun comes out for more than a few minutes at a time. Being retired is great!
I'll stick some guitar pix up later.

Phil W

Reaction score
You've been a member longer than me ... how come you've never posted until now? Then again I talk too much.

I know that 162 very well; both from the Imperial War Museum and the R.A.F Museum. I have many photos!
Greetings from 1 hour and 34 minutes away by car. :wave:

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't John Vasco write a book on the 162?
He is an avid air historian to say the least.

esseff

Reaction score
You've been a member longer than me ... how come you've never posted until now? Then again I talk too much.

I know that 162 very well; both from the Imperial War Museum and the R.A.F Museum. I have many photos!
Greetings from 1 hour and 34 minutes away by car. :wave:
I sold my Epiphone not too long after I joined, Phil. I was moving from Shetland and had too much gear. And now I've got a roomful (again).
I've got some pictures of the He162 (120227) halfway into the restoration. I can tell a tale about that red steel angle on the nosewheel oleo. :-(
Are you N,S,E or W of me?
Steve

esseff

Reaction score
Didn't John Vasco write a book on the 162?
He is an avid air historian to say the least.
I'm not familiar with John Vasco, mgenet. I've looked him up and see he's written a few books on Luftwaffe aircraft though.

Tubejockey

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Forgive me, but I saw UK, castle, and aircraft enthusiast, and it reminded me of a Glasair III instrument panel I built for a Lord Rotherwick over there. I don't fly but in my former life I wired and installed panels in experimental aircraft.

esseff

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Forgive me, but I saw UK, castle, and aircraft enthusiast, and it reminded me of a Glasair III instrument panel I built for a Lord Rotherwick over there. I don't fly but in my former life I wired and installed panels in experimental aircraft.
That sounds like an interesting job, TJ. Lord Rothwick's Glasair (G-USSI) is now registered in America. Those aircraft always look as if they're doing 200 knots even when they're parked. :)

esseff

Reaction score
Sorry, guys, MYP isn't for me. See the His Royal Highness is Dead thread if you're interested why. Thanks for your pleasant responses.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What?

Prince died again?

Phil W

Reaction score
I sold my Epiphone not too long after I joined, Phil. I was moving from Shetland and had too much gear. And now I've got a roomful (again).
I've got some pictures of the He162 (120227) halfway into the restoration. I can tell a tale about that red steel angle on the nosewheel oleo. :-(
Are you N,S,E or W of me?
Steve
Hello Sir! I'm in the general area of I.W.M Duxford so South-East ish.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he's gone. The post above was his last. He took offense to the Prince Philip thread, it seems.

Phil W

Reaction score
The 162? Harrumph, harrumph!!!

The 110, old chap. Ten books written/co-written on the Messerschmitt Bf 110, with another on the 109.

Harrumph, harrumph!!! :naughty: :dude:
10 books on the 110 ... IMPRESSIVE!
But couldn't you have written 1 somewhat larger book?

As an avid IL2 VR pilot I quite enjoy flying the 110 but I wouldn't swap a bf 109 F4 for it.

UPDATE:
Having just done an Amazon search for your author name I'm VERY impressed! Great titles!

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
10 books on the 110 ... IMPRESSIVE!
But couldn't you have written 1 somewhat larger book?

As an avid IL2 VR pilot I quite enjoy flying the 110 but I wouldn't swap a bf 109 F4 for it.

UPDATE:
Having just done an Amazon search for your author name I'm VERY impressed! Great titles!
Thank you for your very kind words.

As you will have seen on Amazon, one was on camouflage colours throughout the war with a Brazilian guy; another with him was on different variants and how they changed through development; a couple were unit histories; a couple were on combat service units throughout the war, and the last two were on every Staffel (roughly equal to an RAF squadron) during the Battle of Britain (see below for the covers). So to put them all together in a big single volume simply would not work.

Latest Threads