Check your lumps

05jrock

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I while having a shave I noticed a small lump on the underside on the left side of my jaw. Went to my gp and he said it is probably a blocked saliva gland, told me to eat sour foods to try and unblock it. 2 weeks later it was still there, back to the gp.
He organised an ultrasound be done. While having the ultrasound done I had to have my head turned to the right so they could get a good shot of the lump, which meant I was watching the screen. And there it was, a 6cm lump in my jaw.
Next step was the biopsy. This has to be the most physically and mentally draining thing I have ever been through. Being tested for something that could possibly end your days is not a good thing to have to deal with.
I was lucky that the result came back saying the tumour was benign.
Next step was going to see a surgeon. He was really good in telling me it is a simple operation and they will remove the saliva gland, aslo called submandibular gland.
Surgery was put off a couple of timed due to emergencies and bad timing. Finally on thursday the surgery was done, my first and hopfully last time on the table. The surgeon said when they removed the gland the tumour had grown on the inner side, so it had grown between the gland and my throat which was causing some pressure on my airway.
Now I'm resting up at home and have 10 days off work. I go back to the surgeon next thursday to get the stitches taken out and get test results because they sent the tumour away for testing.

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
Glad your going to be ok. I can't imagine the feeling and all the worry you have been dealing with. But your right about not letting things go. Should always seek quick medical help in these situations.

Laggspike

Reaction score
every day when i got into the shower, i'm always checking if i got an extra lump somewhere :) (Sounds SO wrong!)

thunderstruck

Reaction score
now that you are lumpless,and have some free time grab the ol' getaar and rock out loud:slash:good luck to ya

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Great to see that you did not ignore the problem, and sought medical care. :thumb:

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry you got it, glad you caught it, and that you're going to be okay. Best wishes.:thumb:

roeg

Reaction score
Glad your ok....

I made a date with a nurse today to check my lumps over a cup of coffee...will that be one lump or two...

Laggspike

Reaction score
It could add years to your life
that's why i do it :thumb:

my mom died of cancer, my dad has cancer sinse before i was born (26+ years)

So yes, i have figured out that i most likely gonna get cancer and die of it.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
About 6 months ago I while having a shave I noticed a small lump on the underside on the left side of my jaw. Went to my gp and he said it is probably a blocked saliva gland, told me to eat sour foods to try and unblock it. 2 weeks later it was still there, back to the gp.
He organised an ultrasound be done. While having the ultrasound done I had to have my head turned to the right so they could get a good shot of the lump, which meant I was watching the screen. And there it was, a 6cm lump in my jaw.
Next step was the biopsy. This has to be the most physically and mentally draining thing I have ever been through. Being tested for something that could possibly end your days is not a good thing to have to deal with.
I was lucky that the result came back saying the tumour was benign.
Next step was going to see a surgeon. He was really good in telling me it is a simple operation and they will remove the saliva gland, aslo called submandibular gland.
Surgery was put off a couple of timed due to emergencies and bad timing. Finally on thursday the surgery was done, my first and hopfully last time on the table. The surgeon said when they removed the gland the tumour had grown on the inner side, so it had grown between the gland and my throat which was causing some pressure on my airway.
Now I'm resting up at home and have 10 days off work. I go back to the surgeon next thursday to get the stitches taken out and get test results because they sent the tumour away for testing.
Good luck with that my friend. I had the end of my nose taken due to a cancerous spot. Didn't matter as I was never that good looking anyway.

05jrock

Reaction score
Good luck with that my friend. I had the end of my nose taken due to a cancerous spot. Didn't matter as I was never that good looking anyway.
Pretty scary thing to go through.
I have a bandage on my neck covering a dozen stitches, just have to think of a good story to tell people about how I got the scar.

Nard

Reaction score
Certainly something that would scare the crap out of me. Good to hear you're ok. Enjoy the recovery period.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
IMO; your GP should have ordered the biopsy after the first visit.

Biopsies are invasive. I had one that was more painful than the subsequent surgery.

05jrock

Reaction score
IMO; your GP should have ordered the biopsy after the first visit.

Biopsies are invasive. I had one that was more painful than the subsequent surgery.

Biopsies are horrible. They took 3 samples, and the doctor didnt take it easy ramming the needle in there. It was hitting my jaw bone and the bottom of my mouth, hurt like hell.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pretty scary thing to go through.
I have a bandage on my neck covering a dozen stitches, just have to think of a good story to tell people about how I got the scar.
Tell 'em that you got into a bar brawl against three guys, and after polishing off the first two, the third one pulled out a big knife and tried to slice your throat with it. You were able to fend him off easily enough, and you even went chasing after him, but he was so scared of you that you couldn't quite keep up and he got away.

Then tell them that after that you went home and found a lump under your neck, and it turned out to be a benign tumor that was removed surgically, which is where the scar came from.

This way you got to sound really cool, but don't have to BS about exactly how you got the scar. When they ask you what the bar brawl had to do with the scar, you just shrug and say, "Well, nothing really. But I thought you'd like to hear about the big brawl I got into more than about the surgery and all, so..."

:D

Happy for you, that this thing turned out to be something other than what it *could* have been. Hope you heal well and quickly, too!

--R :thumb:

Latest Threads