Check-Up

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a new to me used (2019) R8 tomorrow.

Will be my first Gibson.

Anything specific I should keep an eye out for, beyond the usual? Any particular pain points or other more important due diligence items?

Best,

kewl kat

Reaction score
Check the tuners, eye the fretboard, pull the pickups (if allowed), check the truss rod, play it both unplugged and plugged in.

If it sings and makes you happy take it home. If possible ask for 24 hour return, so you can carefully check everything else out.

GL :fingersx:

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
What's particular about truss rods in these R8s?

How do you "check" it in both direction in the same sitting without messing up the setup on the guitar or risk bending the neck enough both ways to rcrack the binding or worse?

JMP

Reaction score
What's particular about truss rods in these R8s?

How do you "check" it in both direction in the same sitting without messing up the setup on the guitar or risk bending the neck enough both ways to rcrack the binding or worse?
Make sure the brass truss rod nut is in good condition and that there’s plenty of adjustment left on the rod. If someone has over tightened the rod, there’s likely to be 1/8 of an inch (or more) of thread exposed…..dead giveaway that something is amiss.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just eye the fretboard make sure there isn’t a severe bow or back bow… if you don’t know how to adjust a fretboard you don’t know what to look for.

but you could take the wrench and turn it 1/8 turn one way and then back to its original position… to see if it’s not jammed or super loose indicating a problem

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
I'm comfortable betting up relief. How much thread, if any, should be exposed, normally?

mjross

Reaction score
How does it play? That’s what really matters!

Latest Threads