Check out this "repair" hehe

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
DILLION WRECK.jpg

Thought you'd seen it all eh? lol

I've been wanting to get a solid mahogany body to replace a plywood Junior I got awhile back. I just hate that dead ass plywood body (even though it records pretty well). The bolt on neck is fine.

So I ran across this one, all mahogany (I think) with a set neck. Its a Korean Dillion. I've got all of the parts to rebuild this one, but I'm not sure about repairing that mess shown above. I can probably get someone to plug those holes and redrill it, if I can't do it myself. I would just need to get new inserts. I don't know wtf that other hole is under the G string lol

Surprisingly, the rest of this guitar body and neck look pretty good. Not beat up at all, but I'd probably strip and refinish it anyway.

These things are really scarce here, so I'd like to grab this and fix it up... if it can be done without a lot of headaches. Looking for some guidance here. What do y'all think?

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know, thought i’m for it now as I pressed submit, I think he knows i’m kidding.

This is going to raise a few eyebrows..

That's not actually that bad of an idea.

If you have a guitar that's on the cheap side of the spectrum, and the intonation is sharp, and you've moved the saddle back to its limit (and you've already turned the saddle around}..

..and you still need a bit more adjustment, then driiling and tapping it for a 10-32 grub screw is a cheap, non-intrusive way to get there.

This is of course a cheap, quick alternative to diagnosing the issue {why is the bridge in the wrong place, or is it something else, such as the nut slot contact point of the string not being at the forward-most place in the string slot, but instead it contacts in the middle), or if the bridge posts not set right at the factory, drilling out, inserting dowels and re-establishing the bridge set.

Makes more sense than $200 work on a $200 guitar.

Of course, done with thought and care, and short Allen grub screws.

It will get you there.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So then... how big of a job would it be to solidly repair this?

I didn't at first see the wanky screw assembly underneath.

Ugh..

Need to get that shit out of there, drill for a good size plug, dowel it, drill for a new stud bushing.

If you're not worried too much about the finish, a couple hundy on the fix. it's pretty straight forward.

Or if you have a drill press, you can do it yourself. Drill it out for a 5/8 hardwood dowel, and when that glue dries, drill it out for a half-inch stud bushing.

Unless it's an import and uses the smaller 7/16 (11mm) bushing, more's the better there. More meat remains around the stud bushing.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I didn't at first see the wanky screw assembly underneath.

Ugh..

Need to get that shit out of there, drill for a good size plug, dowel it, drill for a new stud bushing.

If you're not worried too much about the finish, a couple hundy on the fix. it's pretty straight forward.

Or if you have a drill press, you can do it yourself. Drill it out for a 5/8 hardwood dowel, and when that glue dries, drill it out for a half-inch stud bushing.

Unless it's an import and uses the smaller 7/16 (11mm) bushing, more's the better there. More meat remains around the stud bushing.
Thanks for the assessment Lt Dave

A local luthier quoted me around 60 bucks for the repair (I will provide the new 11mm anchors). That seems more than reasonable to me.

However, after looking closely at a different photo, it appears that the pickup rout has probably been hosed as well. It looks like the dogear cover isn't resting on the top, but is actually recessed a bit into the body lol Its got some kind of uncovered humbucker looking thing attached to a dogear.

Its a shame. This looked like a pretty solid and well built Junior type guitar until this idiot put his hands on it. Rube Goldberg lives on!

I'm just gonna pass on this. Something is telling me that there are more horrors to be revealed with this one.

Latest Threads