Cheaper Gear

chriseskew24

Reaction score
Man I have been strictly playing my PRS McCarty, Greco 59/70, and American Std Strat Lately. Tonight I decided to plug in the old CV Telecaster this damn 300.00 dollar guitar never ceases to amaze me.

I haven't played it in probably 5 months, plugged it in tuned her up and it's love allover again. My CV tele is a little modified with D allen Cheetah pickups (best tele pups on the market IMHO) and MSSC wiring harness bu other then that it is all stock.

I'll be honest it holds its own with all my other higher end gear and I think I actually play a telecaster a little better then everything else. This brings me to my next thought, my tele is a real smoker, probably the most versatile guitar in my lineup and a real player so why do I not play it more often?

Honestly while my ears and hands tell me it is a killer piece I think my subconscious wont allow me to play it as much due to the fact it is a Chinese made guitar.

Any other people let good guitars collect dust for no good reason?

chasenblues

Reaction score
Oh jeez buckle up think i hear the mob forming cause you denigrated a race of people by accusing them of making a substandard and inferior piece of merchandise

:D

your idol

Reaction score
Man I have been strictly playing my PRS McCarty, Greco 59/70, and American Std Strat Lately. Tonight I decided to plug in the old CV Telecaster this damn 300.00 dollar guitar never ceases to amaze me.

I haven't played it in probably 5 months, plugged it in tuned her up and it's love allover again. My CV tele is a little modified with D allen Cheetah pickups (best tele pups on the market IMHO) and MSSC wiring harness bu other then that it is all stock.

I'll be honest it holds its own with all my other higher end gear and I think I actually play a telecaster a little better then everything else. This brings me to my next thought, my tele is a real smoker, probably the most versatile guitar in my lineup and a real player so why do I not play it more often?

Honestly while my ears and hands tell me it is a killer piece I think my subconscious wont allow me to play it as much due to the fact it is a Chinese made guitar.

Any other people let good guitars collect dust for no good reason?

i play cheap stuff because i have no choice now. its pretty good. snapped my first neck in a long time last month...happened to a $300 axe. if i had my choice though id still be rocking my old 71 custom though

Lampens

Reaction score
A telecaster is a telecaster. I really wonder why in the world those high priced custom shop models exist. ****. It was made to be a cheap mass production model. The way the chinese do it was Leo's dream I guess.
If it has decent wood and pickups there isn't much that can go wrong with that model. I don't think even the coveted 1950's models all had tight fitting neck pockets, decent fret jobs or even matching hardware. They used what they had and had nickel and chrome mixed together. If there had been polyfinishes in the fifties Leo would have used that. He used car paint for christsakes.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
If it plays good and sounds good, it is good. Whatever it costs. Wherever it's made. Check out the "Sow [sic] off your Telecasters! thread.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I have two LP's and I play the cheaper one more than the other.
I have other MUCH cheaper guitars I still play too.
They all sound different to me and some sound nicer after I haven't played 'em fer a while.

lancpudn

Reaction score
There are so many great playing/sounding/well put together guitars in the £200/400 price range these days that I don't even look at expensive stuff anymore.:thumb:

chasenblues

Reaction score
I just plunked down $80(On sale) for this short scale bass, Never owned one before although i do own other SX/Agile products other than the fugly headstock it looks ok quality can be hit or miss. But I've pissed away $80 on worse stuff.

ursa2jrmn+3ts7.jpg

theaxeman

Reaction score
I bought a Harmony H802 a couple of months ago. Actually bought 3 of them.

The first was one of those rare perfect ones that come off the assembly line that happens maybe one out of a thousand. I gave that one to my son. :)

I bought the other two trying to match the first one. I took the best of those two, and made a better one, and and sold the other one.

I have now had the frets leveled on this one, replace the original pups with regular strat pups, installed an ABR-1 bridge, and I play the old Harmony almost exclusively.

Why? Because it is the most comfortable, lightest, thinnest and easiest guitar to play that I own.

I have several guitars that are much nicer, much better sound, and lot's better quality, but the Harmony is my favorite to play!! :laugh2:

12watt

Reaction score
I remember when Japanese guitars bore the same stigma.

Don't let snobbery rob you of a rewarding instrument.

MooCheng

Reaction score
to be honest the whole chinese v american thing makes no sence, a Tele made in china is made using exactly the same production methods as a Tele made in america, the only difference is pu's an hardware to keep the cost down, IMO where it is made has no influence on how well it plays

but hey' its human nature to want the best, so who cares if a Am Std stays in its case while Iplay my MIM

FUS44

Reaction score
I remember when Japanese guitars bore the same stigma.

Don't let snobbery rob you of a rewarding instrument.

True. I remember getting a hold of an 80's squier, comparing it to the US version and being blown away. The squier was a better guitar. Period. Still is!
Not saying they all are, but I have had enough luck with imports to roll the dice regularly.

danohat

Reaction score
I love el cheapos. Very rewarding and you don't have to worry about them.

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love my cheap and cheapish guitars! I don't see why you wouldn't if they play well and you enjoy playing them. So play them!

My little 300 dollar yamaha acoustic has been accused of sounding as good as a 2k$ taylor. (The person is mistaken I am sure, but she does sound good). and while my strat isn't "cheap" I only paid like 450 or so for it used. It is a very rewarding guitar to play. I've actually been recording with it lately.

DagerOne

Reaction score
I don't have any super high-end guitars (a Gibson Studio is my most "decorated"), but my favorite is an '07 two-pickup Melody Maker with Seymour Duncan rail pickups that I picked up used on Craigslist. Expensive != awesome, and cheap != crap necessarily.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A telecaster is a telecaster. I really wonder why in the world those high priced custom shop models exist. ****. It was made to be a cheap mass production model. The way the chinese do it was Leo's dream I guess.
If it has decent wood and pickups there isn't much that can go wrong with that model. I don't think even the coveted 1950's models all had tight fitting neck pockets, decent fret jobs or even matching hardware. They used what they had and had nickel and chrome mixed together. If there had been polyfinishes in the fifties Leo would have used that. He used car paint for christsakes.

The Tele was always meant by Leo to be the "working man's guitar". Easy to make, easy to buy, easy to maintain, easy to repair. It was/is a great example of Form Follows Function.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
My top number is $700.00. That is all the money I will put into any guitar from any place. I play them the same, a real junker is hard for anyone to play. Fender has come out with so many at a low price that it is hard to keep track of what is what. Strats with Gretsch pups and humbuckers. The only thing left on my American Strat is the body. I guess I was unhappy with it.

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Tele was always meant by Leo to be the "working man's guitar". Easy to make, easy to buy, easy to maintain, easy to repair. It was/is a great example of Form Follows Function.

and they are nearly indestructible.

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
I have a Squier Affinity strat I play all the time. I got real lucky with it, too: it is the best intonated guitar for under $3,000 I have ever laid hands on... not that I can afford $3000 guitars, but I've played a lot from every price range because I like to visit music shops to fuel GAS:D and trust me, in terms of feel that little Indonesian strat has held its own. I don't even mind the pickups that much, though I might swap them out just to see what I can do. Electronics though... they have to go. Tuners don't hold a tune for more than a day or two, but I don't really mind that much. As for the paint... it has smears on it for sure, as it is black, but I have yet to create a dent that breaks the surface. Don't know if I should be disappointed or not - no mojo:laugh2: I had to fix this problem with stickers. Overall it's a great guitar, especially given the fact that it was under $150

Latest Threads