Cheap Mic Suggestions

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
In my post above it was a 58 Beta that failed resulting in us doing comparisons. On a side note that mic took way less abuse than the other brands above by never traveling to gigs.

Sure it might be rare but at $160 a pop and considering the beating band mics take I'd recommend exploring other comparable options before laying down cash.

Side note #2

Careful if you do buy a Shure. There's plenty of counterfeits.
I drug a beta 58 around for at least 10 years without fail. Always used it as the lead vocal mic because it was hotter than the regular 58’s. Maybe they don’t make them like they used to. YMMV.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, when in Sam's club, go thru eyeglass area and grab a box of alcohol swabs...about like half a cigar box size...two pack of em.... Comes in handy...

Swab down your mics before/after a show....
Swab em down before/after different singer...

Germs, smell, kank, smell, germs, kank, germs, smell, etc....

One can pull the foam from inside a 58 ball, wash it with anti critter soap, rinse well, dry and put back in there....all usually without injury to oneself or other folks... Germs/Smell/Kank dealio.....

I did a slider munky gig a while back and singer one act looked at me funny as I was swabbing the mic with alcohol before the next singer...

I figure it's healthier, my mics smell better, the finish on my mics lasts longer, and the singer doesn't have to breathe farking tacos, beer, and Parliament 100 belches for the evening....

Walk up to my mics and 'damn, smells clean as a hospital...'

Ain't no flies on me...
Yep....ehb....she's a profesh!

In theatre we use Dettol.

That stuff will kill germs in the next room!

When Mrs. G was a DJ / announcer at our local rock radio station on the FM dial she was always catching some kind of bug. And so were all the other on air announcers there. The problem? Dirty, germ infested microphone. They all used the same mic, which was a Shure SM5...that's the one with the huge foam windscreen. And of course the announcers all "ate the mic" to get that big proximity effect.

Dettol cleaned that problem up!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I drug a beta 58 around for at least 10 years without fail. Always used it as the lead vocal mic because it was hotter than the regular 58’s. Maybe they don’t make them like they used to. YMMV.
And FWIW.... I never liked the sound of a beta 58....just not as friendly as a 58....something brash and nasty in the tonality.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will say this about mics and I am not talking studio but live, a good stage mic does not have to be expensive at all...

I bought a box of new mics in a dump sale once because of model number change so label change.... $20 bucks ea.... Great mics... used em beside 57/58 and I liked em better.

I remember reading one slider munky liked Samson 58 copies for his trunk mics, I think it was.... Couldn't tell the difference out front.....

I've read similar on other mics....

Subjective? Sure... Inaccurate? probably not...

A mic element design is no double naught top secret thing, KFC's secret spices ain't a secret, and countless know the Coke formula....

It would not surprise me if many of the tried and true mics we 'love' actually have elements bought from the same damn place the cheaper cloners get em now....same element....

Go listen to mics side by side... Just might be surprised at what you'll find...

Which stomps sounds better, Maxon or TS?
Which 12ax7 stomp sounds better, Nady TD-1 or the Westbury or the Joyo?
Which small combo tube amp sounds better, Laney 12R or my Monoprice 15W all tube combo?
Which small SS amp sounds better, Fender 25R or Squier 25R?

Don't you just love Behringer? Yeah, Behringer..... that own Midas, K.T., etc... oh and the big ass electronics manu company that builds for the Behringer brand and a shitload of OTHER companies around the world.... Their boards just don't say Behringer.... ;)

In Behringer City in China...

They can build anydamnthing that anybody else can....and they are just ONE company...

I've played Epis that were just as good, sometimes better than some Gibs I've played... Sheraton II being one....

Well, a lot less to building a mic than a 335 type guitar...

:cool2:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I will say this about mics and I am not talking studio but live, a good stage mic does not have to be expensive at all...

I bought a box of new mics in a dump sale once because of model number change so label change.... $20 bucks ea.... Great mics... used em beside 57/58 and I liked em better.

I remember reading one slider munky liked Samson 58 copies for his trunk mics, I think it was.... Couldn't tell the difference out front.....

I've read similar on other mics....

Subjective? Sure... Inaccurate? probably not...

A mic element design is no double naught top secret thing, KFC's secret spices ain't a secret, and countless know the Coke formula....

It would not surprise me if many of the tried and true mics we 'love' actually have elements bought from the same damn place the cheaper cloners get em now....same element....

Go listen to mics side by side... Just might be surprised at what you'll find...

Which stomps sounds better, Maxon or TS?
Which 12ax7 stomp sounds better, Nady TD-1 or the Westbury or the Joyo?
Which small combo tube amp sounds better, Laney 12R or my Monoprice 15W all tube combo?
Which small SS amp sounds better, Fender 25R or Squier 25R?

Don't you just love Behringer? Yeah, Behringer..... that own Midas, K.T., etc... oh and the big ass electronics manu company that builds for the Behringer brand and a shitload of OTHER companies around the world.... Their boards just don't say Behringer.... ;)

In Behringer City in China...

They can build anydamnthing that anybody else can....and they are just ONE company...

I've played Epis that were just as good, sometimes better than some Gibs I've played... Sheraton II being one....

Well, a lot less to building a mic than a 335 type guitar...

:cool2:
Agreed on all points, especially if the gear is cared for. However, them Shures, bloody indestructible.......

Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads