Cheap Mic Suggestions

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Since my buddy got married and we don't jam anymore I've been checking out Craigs List and jamming with other random people.
I really don't have room at my place to host a jam session so I've always gone out.

Well. I've got a crap ton of stuff just sitting collecting dust so I said, fuckit!
And I've started to set it up in my A/V/Computing room.

The one thing I really don't have is a handheld mic.
I really don't know anything about mics. My knowledge is VERY limited.
I'm not looking to spend a lot, but more than the $20 or $30 toys.
My main concern is feedback. The room has a 7foot celling and is about 20' X 20'.
Currently available at Long & McQuade, I'm looking at a

Sennheiser XS 1 Cardioid Vocal Microphone for $60
With specs that mean very little to me
Specs
Dimensions: 48 diameter x L 180 mm
Connector: XLR -3
Frequency response (Microphone): 55 - 16,000 Hz
Transducer principle: dynamic
Pick-up pattern: cardioid
Nominal impedance: 300 Ω (at 1 kHz)
Min. terminating impedance: 1 kΩ
Sensitivity: 1.8 mV/Pa (free field, no load at 1 kHz)

OR a SHURE PGA48 Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone for $55
Specs are a little meger
Handheld microphone for spoken word and karaoke performance
• Dynamic cartridge (does not require phantom power) with cardioid polar pattern
• Tailored cartridge design for clear reproduction of speech
Includes:
- PGA48 with On/Off switch
- 15 ft (4.6 m) XLR-to-XLR cable

If it matters, I'm running it into a Digitech Vocalist LiveFX then into a powered Yorkville 10" PA

Typically I'd just go down and probably purchase the nicer looking of the two.
But with a plethora of experience at my disposal I figured I'd ask.
Any thoughts or words from the wise about mic's on the cheap.
Would an investment of another $100 make any difference for my purpose?
That's about all I would really spend on a mic.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
For vocals, a Shure SM58 and if you're mic'ing an amp, a Shure SM57. And yeah, they are solid and will be in use 100 years after you're pushing daisies. Worth every penny, might be smart to find a used one.
Thanks NGG.

That's exactally the kind of reply I was hoping for.

Now that you mention the SM57, I recognize hearing about that model number all the way back to my JR High School days. Even if I can't find one on the CL, It's totally within my budget new.

cheers

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks NGG.

That's exactally the kind of reply I was hoping for.

Now that you mention the SM57, I recognize hearing about that model number all the way back to my JR High School days. Even if I can't find one on the CL, It's totally within my budget new.

cheers
You're welcome. I hope you find what you're looking for. I mention the Shures because they are time-tested and true. Though I've never tried a 58 with a guitar amp, I have used my 57 as a vocal mic a number of times. In our band setting, it's unnoticeable. I've read that the 57 is Sting's favourite vocal mic.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For vocals, a Shure SM58 and if you're mic'ing an amp, a Shure SM57. And yeah, they are solid and will be in use 100 years after you're pushing daisies. Worth every penny, might be smart to find a used one.
Excellent advice! (except for buying these used....they are so cheap....and even though they are tough as nails I've seen lots of 58s that just don't sound quite right anymore)

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've always found it dangerous to go to L&M just for strings or cables etc. I end up buying a used amp...
Yeah...last time I went to L&M I asked the sales guy..."what's your best sounding Marshall?" so he pointed one out to me and I said cool...i don't have time right now, but I'll come back another day and try it out. Sales guy: " Go ahead and just take it home Freddy....take it for the weekend....or take it for a whole week if you want"
Me: "thanks...but it will be hard to carry on my motorcycle"

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah...last time I went to L&M I asked the sales guy..."what's your best sounding Marshall?" so he pointed one out to me and I said cool...i don't have time right now, but I'll come back another day and try it out. Sales guy: " Go ahead and just take it home Freddy....take it for the weekend....or take it for a whole week if you want"
Me: "thanks...but it will be hard to carry on my motorcycle"
I want to sell my Class 5 and get an Origin 5W combo, but only if I can get the reduced price of $450 vs $500. Would need a store transfer, but I've done lots of those.

wildhawk1

Reaction score

Laugh because of the low price if you want but I've beat on these for years with several bands and they're still sounding great with no problems. Nothing toy like though the price might suggest it.

Did a recent shootout with Behringers, Shures (most expensive), AudioTechnicas, Peaveys and a Samson on our church PA system with several experienced musicians.

In the end it was agreed nothing beat the Behringers by enough to justify spending more.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as reasonable mics:

As said earlier in the thread, SM57 and/or SM58.

For guitar, I recommend the Audix i5...

I've got several different types including Shures, AKGs, Audix, BD, and ATs..

For male voice, I love the more economical Beyer Dynamic. I dearly love that mic. Two singers I work with as slider munky, have deeper voices and I tried several mics to try to find optimum. Stuck a Beyer Dyn in front of em and oh my homey jeebus, I run em pretty much flat with slight compression and they are perfect.... Tried one on a female singer with hot zone similar to Janis and it was killer.... They are relatively cheap but far better than the old standby's in MY opinion....
I like having different mics in the trunk... Sometimes a different mic will solve issues quick, fast, and in a hurry.... 57/58 is not optimum for everybody's voice.... A blues singer sat in with a bud's road blues band and his strongest voice freq content was right dead center of the hottest zone of a 58... The house slider munky there had no clue what was up because the regular singer was fine with that mic... This guy started singing and it was almost ear drill status.... Never heard THAT much change from singer to singer with a 58... Guys voice was fairly deep but rich in harmonics....one of the rare mondo diaphragm (deep gut) singers you'll hear in clubs.... Amazing voice... Like a long time horn player you could punch in the gut while playing and it would hurt your fist... Years to develop that...

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Excellent advice! (except for buying these used....they are so cheap....and even though they are tough as nails I've seen lots of 58s that just don't sound quite right anymore)
We have two 15 yr old 58's at work. I like to tell the kids that they're adding to the deep and rich school history of DNA in the grill, courtesy of 100's of alumni over the years! Geez....perhaps I should requisition for some new grills, the mics still work great!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have bought generic replacement ball tops for 58s by the dozen.... Cheaper'n hell, keep em in the trunk....because for damn sure, somebody is gonna drop, bash, kick, something, a 58 and fark up the ball screen... I unscrew it, chunk it, and dig another out of the trunk.... Makes the mics look new too... I also keep bags of extra mic clips. (hint hint).... Have a small OFF FARKING LIMITS trunk with all new xlr cables and other spare stuff, adapters, boxen. It is not touched by anyone but me and for the most part is never opened.... Fark Murphy.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, when in Sam's club, go thru eyeglass area and grab a box of alcohol swabs...about like half a cigar box size...two pack of em.... Comes in handy...

Swab down your mics before/after a show....
Swab em down before/after different singer...

Germs, smell, kank, smell, germs, kank, germs, smell, etc....

One can pull the foam from inside a 58 ball, wash it with anti critter soap, rinse well, dry and put back in there....all usually without injury to oneself or other folks... Germs/Smell/Kank dealio.....

I did a slider munky gig a while back and singer one act looked at me funny as I was swabbing the mic with alcohol before the next singer...

I figure it's healthier, my mics smell better, the finish on my mics lasts longer, and the singer doesn't have to breathe farking tacos, beer, and Parliament 100 belches for the evening....

Walk up to my mics and 'damn, smells clean as a hospital...'

Ain't no flies on me...

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Also, when in Sam's club, go thru eyeglass area and grab a box of alcohol swabs...about like half a cigar box size...two pack of em.... Comes in handy...

Swab down your mics before/after a show....
Swab em down before/after different singer...

Germs, smell, kank, smell, germs, kank, germs, smell, etc....

One can pull the foam from inside a 58 ball, wash it with anti critter soap, rinse well, dry and put back in there....all usually without injury to oneself or other folks... Germs/Smell/Kank dealio.....

I did a slider munky gig a while back and singer one act looked at me funny as I was swabbing the mic with alcohol before the next singer...

I figure it's healthier, my mics smell better, the finish on my mics lasts longer, and the singer doesn't have to breathe farking tacos, beer, and Parliament 100 belches for the evening....

Walk up to my mics and 'damn, smells clean as a hospital...'

Ain't no flies on me...
I’ve been fish-lipping mine for 20 years....keeps other fuckers from using my mic!

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I prefer a beta 58. A little more but worth it to me. Look at reverb. Lots of mics.
In my post above it was a 58 Beta that failed resulting in us doing comparisons. On a side note that mic took way less abuse than the other brands above by never traveling to gigs.

Sure it might be rare but at $160 a pop and considering the beating band mics take I'd recommend exploring other comparable options before laying down cash.

Side note #2

Careful if you do buy a Shure. There's plenty of counterfeits.

Latest Threads