Cheap, good cables.

MrKensei

Reaction score
When I came back to playing in october I bought a few things on impulse. One of thise things was cables.

I bought a pair of Fender California cables (red). They weren't the cheapest cables in the store but not far off. I thought paying a little extra would get me a decent tone and I liked the finish. Stupid me.

I've spent 5hundreds months tweaking knobs changing pickup, changing guitars and changing amps but I could NOT get rid of a certain muddiness. I assumed it was a natural feature of humbuckers and modern wiring and planned a 50s wiring mod.

Anyway I left a cableat a friends house and needed a replacement asap so I bought one of the super cheap Fender "performance" series.

The difference is night and day. The performance series cables are quiet, flexible and well made. The depth of tone is fantastic by comparison. At only £9 for a 10ft cable I was shocked.

Moral(s) of the story.
Cables DO matter.
DO NOT buy Fender California cables
Cheap does not necessarily mean nasty.

I'd recommend these to anybody who doesn't want to spent 4 x the amount on klotz. Or similar.

Fender® Products

old mark

Reaction score

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
The last lot of cables i bought where fender tone master. Cheap and seem ok. I've changed them around with a $60 buck cable and can't tell the difference.

MrRhoads

Reaction score
Fender performance series is good, i have a 15ft

Mookakian

Reaction score
The Groover cables are decent cheaper cables, I get mine at WD

tdarian

Reaction score
The Groover cables are decent cheaper cables, I get mine at WD
As a holdeover from my High End Audio days, I've got some very expensive cables around here...Analysis Plus, VanDelHull, Sommer Grindycopbeast, LAVA SOAR, LAVA Ultramafic, and others.

All of these cables with the exception of the A/P fall into the 25 - 29 pf/ft capacitace range and are similiar in sonics in equal legths, with the lower cap Ultramafic seeming the most extended on the top end but not at all bright.

However, in a very enlightening experience Henry of Redplate Amps told me to try the regular Grovers...the cheaper cloth covewred ones that are about 8 bucks for a 10 footer. And these sound as good to me as anything I've tried and they are about as supple as a shoe lace. Don't know how long they would hold up....probably longer than a pair of strings that they would likely be cheaper than.

Seriously!

Lowdown

Reaction score
I make my own.
Right angle jack on one end(I prefer the old style you screw together) and a quality straight Neutrik on the guitar end soldered to Mogami cable I bought a roll of years ago. I also put heatshrink around the jack and cable for added support.

I still have a couple of cables I gigged with from almost 20 years ago that are still going strong today except for jack replacements.

Sorry,but you've been sucked in by the hype if you spend your hard earned on those over-priced Munster cables and the like.

If you can solder(and there's no excuse why you can't) then you should be doing as I do and making your own :yesway:

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
I agree on the quality of the cables playing a big role. I cannot hear a difference between brands of good cables but I can certainly hear a difference between a bad and good one. Even if we are talking about a short pedal patch cable.

Making my own seems quite interesting I admit...:hmm:

axslinger

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned GFS (Welcome to Guitarfetish). I have a three of their 20' cables. I use 3 long cable off my pedal board; 2 for my loop and one for my direct in. They are excellent quality and great price.

gypsyseven

Reaction score
Not cheap, but the best....Vovox cables.
You won't believe the difference if you don't try...i did and spended 190,- Euros on 2 cables...now i'm a believer...

Latest Threads