Cheap bass suggestions

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Good day to all!

My son has expressed an interest in playing bass. I'm gonna try to jump on this and get him playing. I can borrow a bass amp from work as no band rehearsals in a time of covid.

In trying to keep the price down, I realize I should just grab a Squier and move on. It's likely what I will pick up. I was also considering an Epiphone EB-0. However, maybe there's a bass I'm overlooking? Please share your suggestions.

smk506

Reaction score
Ibanez makes a great bass for a few hundred bucks. You can buy him one of those. Of course, squire is cranking out some really great stuff these days too, you could buy him one of those....

OR...

Assuming you don’t want to take him out to the L&M and deal with all that, bust out the CC, order a few different models with a total cap of about $600-$700, whatever, and set up a mini showroom at home and let him pick himself. Return the ones that didn’t make the cut.

You know the value of making that decision, especially for a kid who wants to be able to play and look cool doing it. We have to be creative these days.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Ibanez makes a great bass for a few hundred bucks. You can buy him one of those. Of course, squire is cranking out some really great stuff these days too, you could buy him one of those....

OR...

Assuming you don’t want to take him out to the L&M and deal with all that, bust out the CC, order a few different models with a total cap of about $600-$700, whatever, and set up a mini showroom at home and let him pick himself. Return the ones that didn’t make the cut.

You know the value of making that decision, especially for a kid who wants to be able to play and look cool doing it. We have to be creative these days.
Thanks brother!

Thread done! I went into the local shoppe and scored a used Yamaha RBX374. Nice neck, comes with humbuckers....and it’s a Yammy.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Miller, Ibanez Soundgear, Yamaha, even the G&L Tribute series.
There are a lot of inexpensive basses available that are more modern and simply "better" than Squier at reasonable prices.
Squier, like Fender, rely on time-tested designs, but the appearance is a bit long in the tooth with the large pickguards and lack of active electronics except on a couple of models.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Excellent choice! I was going to suggest a Yamaha :)

Well done, Dad :cheers2:
Rats! Back it goes to the shop. Got it home and noticed the nut is a huge problem. I couldn’t play it in the store because they weren’t supposed to have customers in. It won’t be a problem to return it and there was a decent new Yamaha bass for sale. But too bad because this model has some sweet features.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Marcus Miller, Ibanez Soundgear, Yamaha, even the G&L Tribute series.
There are a lot of inexpensive basses available that are more modern and simply "better" than Squier at reasonable prices.
Squier, like Fender, rely on time-tested designs, but the appearance is a bit long in the tooth with the large pickguards and typical lack of active electronics.
I’ll keep these in mind because this Yamaha has to go back.

truckermde

Reaction score
Rats! Back it goes to the shop. Got it home and noticed the nut is a huge problem. I couldn’t play it in the store because they weren’t supposed to have customers in. It won’t be a problem to return it and there was a decent new Yamaha bass for sale. But too bad because this model has some sweet features.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe the new one is a TRBX304, which I believe is the replacement for the RBX series. Phenomenal, user-friendly, versatile, shred-ready...

1606521019830.png

Personally, I favor the BB line, although I'm not currently owning one. If I pick up another 5string, it'll be a Yamaha for sure. Love that asymmetrical neck on the BB 5strings...

1606521102533.png

Can't go wrong with a Yamaha, especially the basses.

Good luck to you, and your son!

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has always been a good, solid brand, whether pianos or motorcycles.
Their acoustics were somewhat of a rite of passage for beginners in the 70s and 80s... either Yamaha or Takamine seemed to be everywhere, and they didn't get sold or traded when the beginners started getting paying gigs.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I ended up with a new Yamaha TRBX174. After a setup-intonation was way out, and the neck was like the blade of a hockey stick, it plays and sounds very nice! Even Yamaha’s entry level stuff is fine quality.
Got the lad started on some simple grooves to get going.

543F917A-D0DE-4316-B3E1-17A8A15E2AA4.jpeg

Latest Threads