Cheap and easy way of protecting individual pedals

5F6-A

Reaction score
I sometimes leave my pedalboard at home and I take an amp with a single pedal that is on all the time (generally a Boss/Fender Reverb or an old 1970s MXR boost). The problem is that I don't like using cardboard boxes or throwing the pedal sans protection about in my bag as the paintwork could easily chip. One possible solution that I have come up with is using kitchen cling film to protect the pedal and punch some holes for the jacks. This will help keep the dials in the correct place and protection from spillages and dirt. If it gets tatty, dirty or I want to change the dials, all I have to do is unwrap the film and apply a fresh couple of wraps. Cheap and easy. Is anyone else using this or a similar method?

Have a look:

cling pedal.JPG

5F6-A

Reaction score
Why not get some velcro and one of those cheap zip-loc plastic bowls w/ lid . Velcro pedal to lid , cut slots for cables . Quick to get into if you need to change settings .

The thing is I almost never change settings whilst playing.

gitmohair

Reaction score
If it's really just the one pedal why not put it in the guitar case (assuming you don't use kitchen wrap for that too)? PSU and other related junk can go in the bag.

Mookakian

Reaction score
I kinda like the Tupperware Idea, for the board... give em a little protection from A beer being dropped... ive sen it happen, i even did it to someone 20yrs back as a teen (facepalm)

Mookakian

Reaction score
All my settings are set Via midi so wont need to access them and a nice hard plastic box around each one is a great idea thanks

Reactions: Who

gkelm

Reaction score
Seems like carrying cling wrap along would be cumbersome. Find a little zipper pouch on eBay or Amazon.

4D1FA61D-5DC1-4C21-BD25-4B2AA0C37798.png

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
mount it on the amp with velcro, then you can change the always on pedals when needed to, and they are sitting a safe place out of reach for everyone.

And you also save some cable length
When all I had was the amp's footswitch, guitar stand, and two pedals, I'd toss them in the back of the amp with the cables. Stand stuck to the back of the speakers.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes leave my pedalboard at home and I take an amp with a single pedal that is on all the time (generally a Boss/Fender Reverb or an old 1970s MXR boost). The problem is that I don't like using cardboard boxes or throwing the pedal sans protection about in my bag as the paintwork could easily chip. One possible solution that I have come up with is using kitchen cling film to protect the pedal and punch some holes for the jacks. This will help keep the dials in the correct place and protection from spillages and dirt. If it gets tatty, dirty or I want to change the dials, all I have to do is unwrap the film and apply a fresh couple of wraps. Cheap and easy. Is anyone else using this or a similar method?

Have a look:

View attachment 627668
That's a great idea.
You can still easily turn it on and off, and it keeps the knobs from being accidentally bumped during transport or the gig.

Cory

Reaction score

Have a look:

View attachment 627668
If you’re really concerned about the pedal not getting dinged/scratched up, I wouldn’t necessarily go the cheap and easy route - did a quick google search for “guitar pedal protection” and these popped up - not too pricey and would be a permanent solution - looks like they make them for both MXR and Boss pedals:

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
One thing you might look at are backpacks and cases (hard- and soft-sided) that come with velcro dividers used by photographers for transporting lenses and other accessories when they're on a shoot. The dividers are moveable. If you're only talking about a few pedals you could find something reasonably priced, especially because these things are often on sale. Photographers trust these to protect their very expensive lenses, they would be more than adequate to protect your pedals. Try BH Phovideo, Adorama, etc.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you’re really concerned about the pedal not getting dinged/scratched up, I wouldn’t necessarily go the cheap and easy route - did a quick google search for “guitar pedal protection” and these popped up - not too pricey and would be a permanent solution - looks like they make them for both MXR and Boss pedals:

Somebody should make a pedal called the "bubble-boy" to fit in one of those.

Latest Threads