Charvel pro mod San Dimas style 2 (Tele) vs style 1 (Strat)

San Dimas Style 2 or Style 1

• San Dimas Style 2 - Natural Ash

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • San Dimas Style 1 - Charcoal Grey

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

DylanLP

Reaction score
I have a big dilemma between these 2 guitars, they look, feel and play great. Which one would you go for and why?

1. Charvel San Dimas style 2 with rosewood fretboard in natural Ash body
SD2 ash.jpg

2. Charvel San Dimas style 1 with ebony fretboard in Charcoal grey Ash body
SD1 black.jpg

tzd

Reaction score
I came pretty close in the past to buying that Charcoal Gray Style 1, but I already have 3 Charvels and do not have room for growth unless I get rid of something first.

I must warn you though, with this finish, it is very important you see the figuring of actual guitar before you buy. I have seen many examples with really ugly ash figuring.

Also, if you are looking for upper fret access, the Style 2 has easier high fret access vs the Style 1 due to the carved heel joint at the back.

NHDave

Reaction score
I like the tele. I just don’t like the coloring on the ash. Btw. One pro mod I really think is sharp is the satin burgundy mist with ebony board.

DylanLP

Reaction score
I came pretty close in the past to buying that Charcoal Gray Style 1, but I already have 3 Charvels and do not have room for growth unless I get rid of something first.

I must warn you though, with this finish, it is very important you see the figuring of actual guitar before you buy. I have seen many examples with really ugly ash figuring.

Also, if you are looking for upper fret access, the Style 2 has easier high fret access vs the Style 1 due to the carved heel joint at the back.
Oh man thanks great advice about the figuring of the ash body i'll keep my eyes open for that and easy upper fret access for SD style 2.

Reactions: tzd

tzd

Reaction score
Oh man thanks great advice about the figuring of the ash body i'll keep my eyes open for that and easy upper fret access for SD style 2.
If you see a good looking picture, best to check with the seller if it is a stock picture or one of the actual guitar.

DylanLP

Reaction score
I like the tele. I just don’t like the coloring on the ash. Btw. One pro mod I really think is sharp is the satin burgundy mist with ebony board.
burgundy mist is a killer, also leaning towards the dark purple with ebony fretboard. The 2 ash guitars and slime green SD1 are the only ones I have tried. I eliminated the slime green mainly of the color, it's not my thing.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either.
Which one do you want?
Can't decide? Buy both.

Strat is traditionally a bit more R&R and Tele is traditionally a bit more conservative, but that is only a tradition for old timers.

DylanLP

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either.
Which one do you want?
Can't decide? Buy both.

Strat is traditionally a bit more R&R and Tele is traditionally a bit more conservative, but that is only a tradition for old timers.
I played both for more than an hour at the music store and sounded almost identical to my ears. The tele was slightly warmer maybe due to the rosewood fingerboard. The strat played slightly faster and sounded a wee-bit brighter maybe due to the ebony fingerboard.

I have a Gibson LP standard with rosewood fingerboard. I've never owned an ebony fingerboard. But I gotta admit the natural ash look on that tele is mouth watering while the charcoal grey strat looks simply :headbanger: . Wish i could afford and own both. This is why I wanted to share my dilemma with you'll towards helping me make a final decision. I don't wana pull the plug just yet and regret my decision later.

tzd

Reaction score
Since you had your hands on both of them, which one feels better to you? That would be the one to get.

DylanLP

Reaction score
Since you had your hands on both of them, which one feels better to you? That would be the one to get.
I decided to try both again this weekend exactly for this reason. Thanks

Dutchy5150

Reaction score
I've bought both these models (although older models) in the past month. You cant go wrong with either one. To me, they both play the same so its would basically be down to which ever you think looks best...

I love both the guitars you are looking at.

Here are the 2 I just bought plus a VH Kramer I also got in October...

Mockbel

Reaction score
Oh what a coincidence !!
See this thread I started yesterday... you will find my answer inside !

Latest Threads