charvel or jackson?

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I personally think scarf joints are an advantage rather than a hindrance.

They ensure that the grain of the wood is running in the correct direction relative to the headstock, which makes it significantly stronger. The fact that they're a less expensive way to make a guitar is mere happenstance.

There are plenty of Jackson guitars, Indo made or not, that have scarf joints and the aforementioned reason is why. It's because they're a good construction method. Objectively speaking, far superior to a 1 piece neck like a Gibson in terms of strength.

Where is this information you heard about fretboard unevenness due to a scarf joint?

+1 to that. I requested a scarf joint on my Les Paul style custom as it reduces the chances of a headstock break. I've had many guitars with scarf joints and have never had any issues with them.

old_moon_3.jpg

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I actually had the chance to play some charvels tonight.
very nice guitar, with dramatically different pick ups in each.

the last one I wanted to try, (it was friggin bright yellow) played the absolute best. wanted to love the black, wanted to love the red/black, but I couldn't.
the yellow played fantastic, had the best sounding pickups, and best sustain.

I think i'm getting a yellow charvel.

yellow.
I can't get past that. :facepalm:

:laugh2:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Rock on man.. i see a yellow and black van halen paint job in your future :)

LeftyF2003

Reaction score

the last one I wanted to try, (it was friggin bright yellow) played the absolute best. wanted to love the black, wanted to love the red/black, but I couldn't.

yellow.

Yea, it could be worse. I had to buy this one for the same reason, and I still can't bond with the finish 23 years later :laugh2:

BC_Rich.jpg

FKO

Reaction score

yellow.

FMIC did a wonderful job bringing back the Strathead with the San Dimas and So-Cal models. Looking forward to your NGD

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FMIC did a wonderful job bringing back the Strathead with the San Dimas and So-Cal models. Looking forward to your NGD

as soon as I remember how to post pics.

by the way, I brought two. a black hardtail, and the yellow with the Floyd rose.

getting some 60 cycle hum in the middle position on BOTH, which didn't happen at the store, I even brought my friedman pedal in on Saturday to try it with them, before buying, and no hum. little annoying. going to bring them to practice this week and see what happens. played my prs and no issues.

open to suggestions. surprised that it is both though.

Rhust

Reaction score
power conditioning... that would be my guess, anyway... either that or you are getting some minor interference in your house that wasn't at the store... cell towers, etc

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
power conditioning... that would be my guess, anyway... either that or you are getting some minor interference in your house that wasn't at the store... cell towers, etc

thats what i was thinking. band practice should sort that out tomorrow night.
i may have to invest in a power conditioner if that's the case.

decoy205

Reaction score

yellow.

I love yellow guitars! I want a yellow and black Jackson. Nothing wrong with Yellow!

Piston Hurricane

Reaction score
You guys are worried about yellow paint ? Look at what i'm stuck with !

IMAG0161_zps8ilqzrf4.jpg

Charvel or Jackson ???? - Yes !

PH

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Where do I start? I know. I moved to the Pac NW with lots of cash. The timing was perfect. I sold all my guitar stuff for the move. It just so happened there was a flea market right there. It was Drive-In theater. I saw a guitar that was just pretty. It was a Charvel 375. I bought it. That's how I found guitar forums. I was hooked. I had to have more Charvel and Jackson. :thumb:

dcooper

Reaction score
I used this years ago still play it some, my son uses it sometimes. Picture is from years ago, came with tweed charvel case only one I've seen

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I own three of the new Jackson Pro series Soloists (made in Indonesia). I'm including a photo of one of them below.

I think they're great guitars. I didn't pay $999 for any of them like the big chains are charging. I paid $750 for one of them new, and $500 and $650 for the other two used.

A buddy of mine has a Charvel, one of the last SoCals before they moved production out of the USA. The neck on his guitar is very rounded and WAY thicker (front to back) than that of my Soloists. The Soloists have a wider fingerboard but are pretty thin front to back. As a result, the neck profiles on these two models feel VERY different.

Again, I think the new Soloists are great guitars. I don't care that they were built in Indonesia. I do wish they had the big shark fin inlays and pickup rings (I'm not a fan of direct mount pickups), but those are personal preferences.

mfranzdorf

Reaction score
This is EXACTLY my latest obsession. I've decided on the San Dimas but I really want the humbucker /single and it's no longer made.

With the new Charvels you can make that neck humbucker a single with the switch.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.

Haven't played a Jackson, I picked up one of these, a San Dimas, and it is an awesome guitar. As someone that has spent way too much money on Gibsons, it's hard to beat this guitar for the money.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SDimHHHTTB

I brought a hard tail also, but returned it for a Floyd rose. just felt like it needed it. they are nice, and I was looking at the same one you were.
I lolled at number 2 in your link. wtf? :laugh2:

so....I've got a yellow san dimas with a Floyd, and i'm going to look at a trans red tomorrow (I have a credit at the store, and they got one in)

fantastic guitars, especially for the money.

jclark42796

Reaction score
I brought a hard tail also, but returned it for a Floyd rose. just felt like it needed it. they are nice, and I was looking at the same one you were.
I lolled at number 2 in your link. wtf? :laugh2:

so....I've got a yellow san dimas with a Floyd, and i'm going to look at a trans red tomorrow (I have a credit at the store, and they got one in)

fantastic guitars, especially for the money.

I see they now have the style 2. I was thinking now I need to get one w/ a floyd rose :naughty: Yes, great guitar, love the neck!

Latest Threads