Charcoal grill recommendations?

Skeletor

Reaction score
With spring hopefully on the way... and being stuck at home... I'm thinking about BBQ/grilling season.
My natural gas grill is pretty much done (guts have rusted out) and I am thinking I'd replace it with an old school charcoal grill.
Thinking Weber 22" kettle, wondering if the "Master touch" model is worth the upgrade price? I think it is just a different grate system and maybe a built in thermometer?
Or, recommendations on something else entirely? (Keeping the budget reasonable)

Skeletor

Reaction score
Get the 22" Master Touch, worth it for the removable ash canister. If you're cooking for more than four people get something bigger.
The "premium" also has the removable ash can and it is $60 (canadian) cheaper than the master touch...
So I am kind of on the fence with the premium vs master touch

Olds442

Reaction score
The "premium" also has the removable ash can and it is $60 (canadian) cheaper than the master touch...
So I am kind of on the fence with the premium vs master touch
Premium doesn't have the lid bale, which is very useful. also, you get the better grate with the MT.

Olds442

Reaction score
all you need. i cook eggs, steaks, burgers, sausage, bacon, fajitas, veggies, and chicken in it. some people do corn bread, pizzas and pies etc

:thumb:

there's also this, which works great on the 22"

This cast iron insert for the gourmet grate works a charm.

Also almost any wok fits in the gourmet grate as well. The center circle comes out and you can put the wok, dutch oven, skillet, etc right there. Worth the upgrade over Premium which doesn't have the gourmet grate.

plus the sides fold up so you can re-coal without taking the food off the grate.

RAG7890

Reaction score
We use a Le Creuset Char Grill Plate for the Gas Stove and a Weber Q along with a Big Weber using Beads. Have a Gas Ring for it but never installed it.

As Freddy said, Rain, Hail, Shine that Weber Q gets a workout.

As a matter of fact, Wifey used it for some really nice Cajun Chicken Thighs while I cooked up some Cajun Rice.

Covid Free Cajun Cooking. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:cheers2:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
My buddy had an original made from the sea buoy's they used back in the early days. It was effen great, was a sort of maroon color that change shade to a dark almost purple color when it got up to temp, really cool unintended feature.

Olds442

Reaction score
My buddy had an original made from the sea buoy's they used back in the early days. It was effen great, was a sort of maroon color that change shade to a dark almost purple color when it got up to temp, really cool unintended feature.
i know guys on the weber forums that would pay 5 digits for that old kettle. not kidding.

jb_abides

Reaction score
Premium doesn't have the lid bale, which is very useful. also, you get the better grate with the MT.
Don't F-about and ignore this advice regarding lid holder positioning - essential for breezy days.

Also, the extra coal canisters are good for getting the right coals for indirect heating, distribution, etc.

Latest Threads