Changing out Hardware

jw3571

Reaction score
I have a few LP's that have gold hardware, I'd like to change the gold out to chrome or nickel. How hard of a job is that, can you do it your self or does a luthier need to do it? What kind of cost would I be looking at?

Knoby

Reaction score
Don't mean to be rude but the fact that you are asking suggests you are better off getting a luthier or tech to do it. Sorry I can't advise on the costs.

Also, depends on whether you want to replace the whole pickups, or just the pickup covers.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Not difficult, expensive.
Sell the guitar and get one with chrome or nickel hardware.....there are plenty for sale....

No a 'Luthier' wouldn't be required.

jw3571

Reaction score
You're probably right about that, lol. So you can just swap out the pickup cover without replacing the pickup?

sonar1

Reaction score
Yes.
Pull the pickup out. Desolder the attachment points. Break loose any remaining solder film.
Slide the covers off carefully.
There might be wax.

Last edited:

Azmedian

Reaction score
I have a few LP's that have gold hardware, I'd like to change the gold out to chrome or nickel. How hard of a job is that, can you do it your self or does a luthier need to do it? What kind of cost would I be looking at?
I have a set of chrome hardware id trade you for the gold
Tailpiece, abr-1 style bridge, Grover locking tuners PM me

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Lots of strange replies going on here….

You’ll need a luthier to change out the
PUP covers if you don’t have a soldering iron.

And you’ll need to machine new slots on bridge saddles if you’re getting a new bridge.
This you’ll definitely want someone experienced to do the job.

I’d just buy the parts, and let a local tech guy do the job for you, it’s not worth doing by yourself and possibly screwing up your guitars.

AJK1

Reaction score
What brand LP are they ?

NHDave

Reaction score
I grabbed a hardware set off a recent 2021 standard from stratosphere... It doesn't look
like they have any at the moment, but it was reasonable and the saddles were cut nicely...
The swap took 10-15 minutes...

Reactions: Who

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do it all the time and am not skilled…

its Easiest to get the covers off with a razor and go slow…no need to use much pressure…just saw it back forth for a few minutes…also get a straight edge holder/tool thing…pain in the rear doing it with just the blade…

tuners are simply swap…
post screws are on stew mac…lots of turning but use a small screwdriver and it’s not bad but ur hand will get tired

mod the hell out of it I say…and send me the gold if u aint gonna use it ha

-chris

diogoguitar

Reaction score
It's a time consuming process. My Luther quoted something like
  • Change pickups: 45min
  • Change bridge/tailpiece: 30min
  • Change tuners: 30min
Just over 2h of work. I can understand how it can take some good 2h to do it. There is nothing complicated in changing a bridge if it already came with the right radius.

I ended up doing the pickup and bridge swap on my own, but I'm relatively savvy with guitar setup.
Pickup swap I think it took me some good 2h (including the legwork around the house to find my dusty tools), but I was doing on my own time, watching sports and having a beer

Musha Ring

Reaction score
OP, if you switch to chrome, your guitar will have gold bushings in the body. If you want everything to match, best to take it to someone for that.

P.S. Faber sells bushings along with hardware. They should be having a Black Friday sale coming up.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Lots of strange replies going on here….

And you’ll need to machine new slots on bridge saddles if you’re getting a new bridge.
This you’ll definitely want someone experienced to do the job.
Machine new slots in the bridge saddles? That’s pretty extreme. All you need to do is put new strings over the new saddes and tap the strings gently, that will make a groove deep enough. I used a small hammer and a punch, a light tap is all you need. Either that or a small jewelers file to make a small groove. This is a much easier job than unsoldering pickup covers.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Machine new slots in the bridge saddles? That’s pretty extreme. All you need to do is put new strings over the new saddes and tap the strings gently, that will make a groove deep enough. I used a small hammer and a punch, a light tap is all you need. Either that or a small jewelers file to make a small groove. This is a much easier job than unsoldering pickup covers.
If you’re not worried about accuracy, potential string breaks or tuning instability from improperly slotted saddles, or possibly damaging the guitar or part in the process, then by all means.

OP is definitely not experienced in this sorta thing, so you got to think on his behalf and not by your experience IMO.

Reactions: Who

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I change mine out all the time on my red hp especially…i do keep the black post pup screws all the time thiugh

the pup covers are snug enough I don’t so.der

my black custom came bare naked…took less than an hour to gold it out

es took a few hours…mainly to “saw“ with straight edge thru the solder on pup covers and install gold everything…including rings

again, I’m not talented as far as luthiering goes

mod the hell out it I say…it’s ur guitar :h5:

1790BB95-E320-4A15-9DAA-08F49A3F453B.jpeg

C73ECB58-DA73-4190-94FA-F1433D10F9B1.jpeg

32EFE436-B5B0-410E-97FF-7D8E66D84C02.jpeg

F77EDD99-8692-4222-84EB-CB34F7F3956B.jpeg

95A2115C-6A5E-43C8-A317-2D3BF363150A.jpeg

4BEA6F88-C4A1-4820-B2D4-B6CD276E6026.jpeg

744B1278-ECF9-4DA3-8C8E-E506EFB216E2.jpeg

58D45D44-55BF-4CEF-9215-A4FF39972EA2.jpeg

mjross

Reaction score
I change mine out all the time on my red hp especially…i do keep the black post pup screws all the time thiugh

the pup covers are snug enough I don’t so.der

my black custom came bare naked…took less than an hour to gold it out

es took a few hours…mainly to “saw“ with straight edge thru the solder on pup covers and install gold everything…including rings

again, I’m not talented as far as luthiering goes

mod the hell out it I say…it’s ur guitar :h5:

View attachment 566730
View attachment 566731
View attachment 566732
View attachment 566733
View attachment 566728
View attachment 566727

View attachment 566726
View attachment 566725
Did you have to use a pretty thick spacer for the Bigsby at the hinge on the Black Beauty? I’m in the process of doing the same mod to my BB but noticed a pretty good gap between the hinge and body.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have to use a pretty thick spacer for the Bigsby at the hinge on the Black Beauty? I’m in the process of doing the same mod to my BB but noticed a pretty good gap between the hinge and body.
not on the black beauty…I’ve got bigsbies for every les Paul I own..actually I’ve got probably 5 or 6 laying around thanks to ambien and ebay

The hinge really depends on the aggressiveness of the carve…
Especially with the vibramate…
If you’ve got a fairly flat top, like on the ESLP then it’s a good fit…
But if the carve is fairly rounded and bulbous then you’ll notice tail angle issues…
I’ve never had any problem though I typically use a screw that’s a little bit longer as I like a taller strap knob…and I want the bigsby anchored deep…

So to answer your question, the black beauty fit really well but I’ve got some others that were more carved and had kind of an odd angle which was greater than 90° seated…
so there’s a small gap…longer screw typically accounts for it and can get it close to flush

On my HP standard, I couldn’t get a B7 to seat to my satisfaction so I just swapped it for a B5
You can see how aggressively/rounded the carve was on the pic from before I routed the third pup…
B5 fits on anything beautifully

14F76403-F118-44F6-8FF5-727DE3BD472E.jpeg
A056920F-222C-4388-A994-409165C43537.jpeg
3219E587-CCCB-4261-AB5F-1094F8BD6D1B.jpeg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the es on the tail…it’s the best fit because it has such a flat top

keep in mind it is only held to the body by the single screw…
the four screws Originally used to mount the B7 to the body are screwed into a vibramate tail adapter that is simply a piece of metal that sits flush against the body…it’s simply a seat to get the screws something to purchase but is strictly aesthetic

DECCAFFA-BA14-4AA0-97C3-4A2A4384BCA0.jpeg
ECA86EBC-93EA-41AB-8BF7-6DB54C78896B.jpeg
008AB7C1-95F3-4523-9D94-BE8C42C17E81.jpeg

mjross

Reaction score
Here’s the es on the tail…it’s the best fit because it has such a flat top

keep in mind it is only held to the body by the single screw…
the four screws Originally used to mount the B7 to the body are screwed into a vibramate tail adapter that is simply a piece of metal that sits flush against the body…it’s simply a seat to get the screws something to purchase but is strictly aesthetic

View attachment 566763 View attachment 566764 View attachment 566765
Much thanks for your response! Since I’m using a Vibramate System I’ll just have to check when I get all the parts. Just don’t want it to look too strange. Beautiful guitars you have there, thanks again!

Latest Threads