Change string brands affect set up?

limeoasis

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Had a question and sort of dilemma. I'v e been using elixir nanoweb 10-46 for a very long time now , and i recently got my les paul custom set up by a guitar tech for the strings. I was wondering if i put ernie balls slinkys 10-46 , will it affect the set up because it is different company but samge gauge. My guitar is set up for top wrap as well. If it is ok i was wondering which type of ernie balls slinkys plays the "slinkiest" if you will. thanks!

FFXGuitar

Reaction score
nah you should be fine. the normal slinkys would be good for you

Hichisky

Reaction score
Eh, out of my experience I have noticed that different brand names have slight tension differences even with the same gauges. Must have to do with the different procedures done to make each brand different.

Still though, it should be very minor and you probably would not notice it. I myself would just get a measurement of action and then after the change get another measurement. If their different (usually, but very minor) you just adjust the truss rod a bit and nothing else should need touching. And adjusting the truss rod is easy. The key factor is to just go SLOWLY and you will be fine.

But who's to say the brand change from elixir to ernie is going to change tension? It's possible they are built similar, so you could get lucky and have virtually no change at all.

Try them out and see what they do for ya. :)

92Standard

Reaction score
You'll be fine as long as it's the same guage. If there were changes, they'd be so small you'd never notice them.

AwfulQuiet

Reaction score
I recently went from Bright Wires to Dean Markleys (which were installed for 3 days, hated the feeling) and am now on D'Addario XL110 (fantastic!). I did need to adjust the truss rod as a fret buzz developed on the low E and A at the 12th fret when fretting the 8th or 9th.

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
The OP said "LES PAUL CUSTOM" and THATS the guitar I was referring too!!!

OMG!!11oneone11eleven! Are we PMS'ing?!?!?11

Just pointing out a situation where changing to strings to a different brand has a more visible effect. It does affect setup, but does it mean you have to do a full setup on the guitar? Probably not.

92Standard

Reaction score
OMG!!11oneone11eleven! Are we PMS'ing?!?!?11

Just pointing out a situation where changing to strings to a different brand has a more visible effect. It does affect setup, but does it mean you have to do a full setup on the guitar? Probably not.

I was simply trying to clarify that I was specifically answering the OPs question (that is what we are supposed to do with these threads....correct?) and not speaking in general! I apologize that you didn't understand!...and you ask me if I'm PMSing?..........No need for you to be a douchebag!

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
I was simply trying to clarify that I was specifically answering the OPs question (that is what we are supposed to do with these threads....correct?) and not speaking in general! I apologize that you didn't understand!...and you ask me if I'm PMSing?..........No need for you to be a douchebag!

Dude, who came out with all caps and lots of exclamation points? :laugh2:

Don't blame me for being an idiot, but i've already given my 'for dummies' version, but since you're a bit slower than that let me say it clearer still:
"Yes, changing brands does affect the setup of a guitar. If you look at how a guitar with a floating trem (more sensitive to changes in tension) reacts to string changes, you'll see how different string brands have different tension. The effect is much more subtle than changing string gauges, so it might not warrant a setup on your guitar."

If you still want to complain and whine, do it on your own. I'm done here.

L.Campionero

Banned
Reaction score
You guys are breaking my heart....

crying_baby2.jpg

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
As long as they are the same gauge your ok, but it can vary in tone, action and intonation if you change to thinner or thicker.

92Standard

Reaction score
Dude, who came out with all caps and lots of exclamation points? :laugh2:

Don't blame me for being an idiot, but i've already given my 'for dummies' version, but since you're a bit slower than that let me say it clearer still:
"Yes, changing brands does affect the setup of a guitar. If you look at how a guitar with a floating trem (more sensitive to changes in tension) reacts to string changes, you'll see how different string brands have different tension. The effect is much more subtle than changing string gauges, so it might not warrant a setup on your guitar."

If you still want to complain and whine, do it on your own. I'm done here.

So the "caps" and all the "exclamation points" made you upset? And again, you asked if I was PMSing? I believe you used "OMG" as well. My 6 year old daughter uses that too!

You replied to MY quote (hope those caps don't get your panties all twisted) when explaining that a floating trem bridge is affecting by different brands of strings. I never asked about floating trem bridges and once again, neither did the OP. Obviously you were making a poor, feeble attempt to enlighten ME considering MY post was quoted. Next time, please share your wisdom and vast knowledge of floating trems with someone else! (Sorry, I know you're sensative to the exclamation point but I felt as though it was warranted)

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
So the "caps" and all the "exclamation points" made you upset? And again, you asked if I was PMSing? I believe you used "OMG" as well. My 6 year old daughter uses that too!

You replied to MY quote (hope those caps don't get your panties all twisted) when explaining that a floating trem bridge is affecting by different brands of strings. I never asked about floating trem bridges and once again, neither did the OP. Obviously you were making a poor, feeble attempt to enlighten ME considering MY post was quoted. Next time, please share your wisdom and vast knowledge of floating trems with someone else! (Sorry, I know you're sensative to the exclamation point but I felt as though it was warranted)

Sorry, but i don't speak retard. Can anyone please translate what i said before?
Jesus Christ! The forum should have an IQ test on the registration form.

noise5150

Reaction score
I tend to use whatever is on sale and I usually end up buying Ernie Ball or D'Addario or Dean Markley or GHS....I refuse to spend more than $5 per pack. I don't notice any difference on any of my guitars. I used Musician's Friend brand strings for a while when I got a deal on them for $2/pack and free shipping and those were just as good...probably made for them by one of those companies.

92Standard

Reaction score
Sorry, but i don't speak retard. Can anyone please translate what i said before?
Jesus Christ! The forum should have an IQ test on the registration form.

You don't speak "retard"? Must be a new language I am unfamiliar with. So, you didn't quite understand the verbage that I used in my post?

I would think if anyone should be happy there isn't an IQ test prior to joining the forum, it would be YOU!

We wouldn't be having this rather one sided conversation if you payed attention to the OP's question.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic!

Latest Threads