Change pickup cover on MIJ pickup?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm wondering who has done this. I have a MIJ pickup right now that is gold, and I want to change it to nickel. I'm wondering 2 things as I have a cover that fits it:

1. Pole piece screws...are they US spec (#5-40 by 3/4")?

2. Pickup height adjustment screws/mounting screws also SAE or metric?

If either or both are metric does anyone have a source for those?

Roxy13

Reaction score
If no one has an answer today I will just check using some Gibson parts.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, I have found metric pole piece screws at both StewMac and Mojotone.

What I haven't found yet are height adjustment screws.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Mojotone does have a nickel metric height adjustment screw that works with short leg plates. Guess I'll have to check the length on the plate.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Not sure about the screws, but if the pup cover is attached with a huge gob of solder, a chisel soldering tip will work much better than than a conical one.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I found everything I needed. In case anyone ever digs up this thread later, you can get Gotoh or other metric pickup height adjustment screws on ebay. In fact there were several choices.

Mojotone was the least expensive for the metric pole piece screws although Allparts on ebay might be your best bet if you want SAE ones as they were $4 per set with the shipping.

Generally I heat the solder from the baseplate to cover and then cut through it with a razor blade with tape on it to keep me from cutting myself. That seems to work for me.

And Philadelphia Lutheir has some nice pickup covers that don't have the copper baseplate (more transparent). They do have some pole screws but they were out of stock on gold.

Rando375

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philadelphia Lutheir

I try an order from there whenever possible. They stock quality parts, ship fast and my moneys going to an in state business.
Win-Win

Roxy13

Reaction score
I try an order from there whenever possible. They stock quality parts, ship fast and my moneys going to an in state business.
Win-Win

I got the covers from them. But, I'm not sure how much longer it will be on those pole screws. I guess you could say I got tired of waiting :)

Latest Threads