Certificate Of Authenticity (COA)

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
2013 "Brown" COA and hangtags that accompany Historic Reissues. I believe 2012 featured mostly if not all "Brown" COA's as well.

Then inside of the COA is unchanged from Black Book COA's. There is a watermark on the lower part of the COA, seemingly an attempt to make it more difficult to counterfeit however I've yet to see someone try to fake a Historic or the paperwork/COA as of yet.

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
Anybody have a pic of what would have come with a 2006 VOS R8 plaintop? Seems like a lot of links are broken. Also what kind of case did 06 historics come in? Thanks.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
06 Historics came with an orange 8 1/2 X 11 certificate (no black book) and shipped with the black TKL made Gibson Custom silk screened case with burgundy interior.

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
06 Historics came with an orange 8 1/2 X 11 certificate (no black book) and shipped with the black TKL made Gibson Custom silk screened case with burgundy interior.
Maybe a silly question, but will Gibson reissue pre 2007 certs in blackbook format if misplaced or destroyed?

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
Will Gibson replace the COA's? I have a used 57 RI that didnt have one.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
@Bigdipper...my best guess would be that your replacement would be in the newer brown book COA that are now issued. Who knows...they may have the paper ones still, or black books for replacements.

@shawnlutz and Bigdipper...as far as I know the only way you can get a replacement COA is to contact Gibson and authorize the shipment of your guitar to them for verification to issue you another COA. I could be wrong but I do remember forum members reporting this.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
thank you very muchs 50watter, that is good to know. I just got 57 RI yesterday, love the guitar and will keep it. The COA means little to me as I know the guitar is legit but if I ever decide to sell it I'd probably try to obtain one form Gibson as I know a lot of people like those pieces of paper with their RI's ;)

jonnymangia

Reaction score
I don't think you can obtain one from Gibson if you aren't original owner.

Redstevenski

Reaction score
FWIW, I have a Les Paul Custom Pro Dirty Lemon I bought NEW last fall from Guitar Center. Beautiful guitar, BTW. But, alas! They had lost both the case and the COA and I was not happy with the way it arrived, setup wise. So, I called Gibson. While I had the fella on the line I mentioned the COA. He told me if the guitar was made 2008 or after, they WOULD NOT issue a replacement COA, period. 2007 or earlier, YES, provided you send it to them for authentication. :)

Cheers!

Steve

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
Reaction score
How come the serial number on left side of the Certificate (0 3149) doesn't match serial number in the photograph of the headstock on the right side of the Certificate (8 3170)?

All the Stingers received that Certificate, with their Serial Numbers written in.
It would have been very classy if they would have received a personalized
Certificate, with a photo of the actual guitar, but I guess that would have
been a printing nightmare. That is correct for the run.

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson, no longer, will issue anyone a replacement COA.
Period.

Sadly...........

jhun1976

Reaction score
I can't read Japanese writings but could this be a COA. It came with a 1993 Yamano Prehistoric Reissue I used to have.

old mark

Reaction score
Weird. I didn't get one with my 2002 68 Custom reissue.... and was told that they didn't print them in 02 :hmm:

I wonder if a person can write Gibson and order a reprint for a fee?
I have a '54 LP Custom made in 2002 that has one...I did not even know what it was, but it fits in the case...I guess I will have to get a pic...but mine looks exactly like the one for nocolasrivera's 2001 R8.

mark

Droid

Reaction score
What I understand about the 1999 R9s is you had to return the warranty card to get the COA and the Lifton case. (2002 was the only other year the R9 got two cases as far as I know)
Everything was shipped to the store I bought it from at the same time. Although they shipped my BOTB a couple weeks before the guitar & cases.