ceriatone jtm45 muddy

porkster

Reaction score
I have had my jtm45 a few weeks now, every day after work i am straight on it, cant wait to get home & give it a whirl, anywho, the cleans are gr8 sustain all day has a bit of the jtm45 sag that i love
but i turn it up full ball to have the overdrive its muddy sounds blocked , even with the treble & mids on 10 bass on 0 , if i hit it with the ts9 tube screamer it gives it a mid boost its ok, but i want the mashall overdrive ,
like i said its been a few weeks now, i might be trippin but, it seems tp be opening up after being played a lot since i got it, i dont no if its the caps have been burned in or what lasrt night i turned it full ball & i nearly shit myself , it sounded so much better nearly nailing acdc back in black , I might add it has a PPIMV MASTER VOLUME I dont know if it would affect the tone at full ball , my cab is a 16 ohm , i have heard that you can use a 8 ohm cab to give your amp a more agressive tone , i am just wondering if anyone has had a brand new amp built & as time went on & played more it sounded better

cheers paul.

EndGame00

Reaction score
JTM45's is a very bassy amp, especially when you crank the volume up, it becomes flubby... What speakers are you running with it?

porkster

Reaction score
JTM45's is a very bassy amp, especially when you crank the volume up, it becomes flubby... What speakers are you running with it?
You aint wrong there mate, jtm45,s are
bassy as, I always keep the bass on 0 the most i would use bass is 2. presence 4 or 5 mids & treble 10
I am running a celestion vintage 30 in a single cab, I want to get a 2 x 12 with a set of greenbacks apparently
they break up earlier .

Darkburst

Reaction score
I had a good JTM45 clone and sold it for the same reasons. It's not the classic Marshall sound. Try a 2204 or clone. Just make sure you can turn it up a bit. These old school amps need volume to sound their best.

alnico59

Reaction score
They sound great with a Strat.
Also bright PAF style pu's in the LP, say something with an A5, will cut better.
I have a tweed Bassman, so been down this road.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've got an 'old' Ceriatone JTM45 head with the white front panel(not made anymore) and set it up pretty much the same as yours but with Bass on 1. Mine is a very loud amp for a 30-35w, my amp tech tells me it powers up to around 43 watts peak.
As is said they are bassy sounding but using alnico speakers will help a lot in a 4x12 or 2x12 cab.
I got 30w Weber Blue Dogs and Silver Bells as they're cheaper than the Celestion Blue and Scumback alnicos.

Johnnyslim

Reaction score
I have a Metro Amp JTM 45. I used to plug straight in Vol 1 (top left). A lot of players use the usual channel jumping. George at Metro Amp and many others use a Y-cable and plug into the top two inputs. I tried this and it really cleaned up the bass heavy response. I find it more useful than the usual channel jumping.
Settings on my JTM 45: 2x12 Swanson cab with Dec 1965 Celestions
Presence 5 1/2
Bass 0
Mids 10
Treble 8 1/2
Vol I 7
Vol II 5 1/2

Latest Threads