Celestion Alnico Speaker Shootout: The Ruby, Cream, and Gold - Gain and Clean Videos

sillennium

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just finished doing a shootout on 3 of the Alnico speakers from Celestion. I did two videos one using a Magnatone Super Fifteen for the Gain side of things and a Fender Blues Jr III for the clean side.

The speakers that I take a look at are the Ruby which is new this year, the Cream (90 watt alnico) and the Gold Alnico which has always been my favorite speaker until this shootout! :)

Let me know what you think and which one you liked? I would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks,

Scott

Gain Side with Magnatone Super Fifteen

Clean with Blues Jr III

Attachments

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Still on the fence about the Ruby,however, I do love that Cream! What’s your new favorite,brother?

sillennium

Reaction score
Still on the fence about the Ruby,however, I do love that Cream! What’s your new favorite,brother?
Both the Ruby and Cream are the sound I like best, which says alot since that Gold hasn't left my cab in years. My gut is saying put the cream in when I get back to my home. I left the cab empty until I finished the videos so I could decide myself. I think the cream will be living in the Vumble cab now.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Both the Ruby and Cream are the sound I like best, which says alot since that Gold hasn't left my cab in years. My gut is saying put the cream in when I get back to my home. I left the cab empty until I finished the videos so I could decide myself. I think the cream will be living in the Vumble cab now.
I’m a die hard,Weber Silver Bell guy,however,that there Cream is now a must have!
Thank you for the video,brother!!! I love speakers just as much as guitars,pickups,amps,etc....

sillennium

Reaction score
I’m a die hard,Weber Silver Bell guy,however,that there Cream is now a must have!
Thank you for the video,brother!!! I love speakers just as much as guitars,pickups,amps,etc....
My Fender Custom Twin has a Weber designed alnico but built by Eminence. I suspect they are similar to the silver bell. I love the sound of those speakers. I wanted to use one of them in my Monsters of Alnico video but the speakers were soldered in. I didn't want to "modify" the amp by removing one of them if it was temporary

yamariv

Reaction score
Thanks for doing the shootout, very cool to hear the differences! I'd have to go against the grain and say I like the Gold best, the Cream sounded very close the Gold in second place and the Ruby last..for me it seemed a little muffled but that could just have been the settings. Peace!

sillennium

Reaction score
Thanks for doing the shootout, very cool to hear the differences! I'd have to go against the grain and say I like the Gold best, the Cream sounded very close the Gold in second place and the Ruby last..for me it seemed a little muffled but that could just have been the settings. Peace!
The Gold has a very modern sound compared to the others. It's great that we have so many flavors to choose from so we can all chase the tone.

yamariv

Reaction score
The Gold has a very modern sound compared to the others. It's great that we have so many flavors to choose from so we can all chase the tone.
Very good point, to me the Gold almost reminds me of a Greenback tightness to it.

yamariv

Reaction score
What do you all think of the creamback vs a greenback? Sort of off topic
Tough for me to say as I've never really compared my Greenback cab side by side with my 212 65 Creambacks or even my Marshall DSL40C with 75 Creamback side by side to either of these.. Lately I've been playing my Greenback Cab and my Vox AC30 with Alnico Blues but from memory, the Creambacks don't have that tightness and modern sound that the Greenbacks do. The Creams are awesome sounding speakers but they are more full sounding, rich tone if that makes sense..

Maybe I'm gonna have to do a side by side comparison with them all..

goldtop0

Reaction score
I thought the Cream and Gold did it well, the Ruby sounding a tad darker to me.
Now, I've seen other A/Bs that are on youtube and have A/B'd the Blue and Gold here at home and the Blue has been the brighter sounding speaker compared to the other two( G and C) and that's because of the doping that are on those two(the Blue has no doping).
But, I was surprised to hear with this A/B that the Ruby sounded a tad darker than the others...........however I've seen that it also has doping on the rims like these two.......so maybe it just needs the hours of breaking in.
Thanks for this vid..........just great :cool2:

sillennium

Reaction score
I thought the Cream and Gold did it well, the Ruby sounding a tad darker to me.
Now, I've seen other A/Bs that are on youtube and have A/B'd the Blue and Gold here at home and the Blue has been the brighter sounding speaker compared to the other two( G and C) and that's because of the doping that are on those two(the Blue has no doping).
But, I was surprised to hear with this A/B that the Ruby sounded a tad darker than the others...........however I've seen that it also has doping on the rims like these two.......so maybe it just needs the hours of breaking in.
Thanks for this vid..........just great :cool2:
I did put about 8 hours on the ruby and cream before shooting the video. Fyi

goldtop0

Reaction score
I did put about 8 hours on the ruby and cream before shooting the video. Fyi
That's all good.
I've got '60s celestion alnicos from '67-'70 and all are doped but you wouldn't pick it, they have a richer rounder tone than my 2013 Blue(and break up a tad earlier also, which I like). Some guys remove the dope from their Golds but I've yet to do this myself, and hear from them as to whether that has 'brightened' it up or otherwise.

TM1

Reaction score
I’ve had a Ruby for a couple of months now and at first I wasn’t thrilled with the low end, but after playing it for about 60-70 hours it’s really great! The clarity on the
Mids & Highs are really detailed and I really love this speaker now!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of the creamback vs a greenback? Sort of off topic
The originals? I think the creambacks are more midrangy and not as wide range, for any given cone/magnet version compared to the greenbacks. They are a little more pushy and punchy, not as smooth. I know there's a good comparison of those around. Let me find it...

Wyatt Earp

Banned
Reaction score
I hated the Ruby! The Cream is good, but lacks character. The Blue and Gold are the best offerings, IMO. The Blue, then the Gold.