Celestion Alnico Gold in DRRI?

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about trying something different with my DRRI.
it has a Weber 12F150 in it right now, but I would like to try an Alnico Gold celestion just to see if I prefer it like this( i'd like something with a bit more mids to give it a kinda more tweedy tone)

can anyone tell me the differences he noted while swapping an american voiced ceramic Speaker for a celestion gold alnico in any amp, and if possible in a fender DRRI?

wrc73

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but if you like the gold, checkout the WGS Blackhawk.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Well you know, US speakers are not affordable here.
I recently bought a silver ten from weber and paid more than twice its price because of shipment fees and taxes, so never again I will buy an american speaker (boutique).
that being said, i'm really sad that here in europe we can buy chinese crap on ebay without any taxes, and then that we have to pay half the value in taxes for an item that comes from the states..

Reaction score
Considering your disposition as a people against Americans yeah thats exactly what i meant!

Rodolphe

Reaction score
my position???
I did not say anything against america man, I just said europe prefers to tax goods from usa, and let chinese crap come freely in.
I'm not a politician, i did not decide those things, i'm just saying that now, buying something good from the US means paying twice its real price because europe fears china...i'd rather buy weber speakers instead of a celestion if it's better, but even if UK made celestion are quite dear, buying a similar product from weber would cost me a fortune.

wrc73

Reaction score
Another speaker that would probably sound really nice in a DRRI, and should be readily available in Europe, is the Celestion G12H30 55hz speaker. I've got the Weber pre-Rola clone and it is probably the closest to an Alnico speaker that a ceramic can get tonewise, it just doesn't have the same compression. However, if you want tweed type tone I would suggest saving up for a tweed Deluxe or Champ clone. I'm no expert, but the BF circuit is very different from the tweed circuits, just different beasts. A British voiced speaker may shift the eq a bit in the tweed direction, but it probably isn't going to give you what you really want.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
well i kinda want to keep the advantages of the deluxe but get something more beefy and more OD friendly..more mids I guess.
I once had a G12H30 70th anniversary and it was great, but not the 55hz model... why not

wrc73

Reaction score
How hard are Tone Tubby speakers to get in Europe? The red one sounds like it would be perfect for what you are looking for.

Red Black Alnico

Rodolphe

Reaction score
well my friend, i think it's the same as there is no distributor for it here..
we can easily buy eminence, celestion, jensen and other big brands at good prices, but all other "small" makers are far more difficult to source at fair prices...

i will try to find out if there are some available somewhere..

anyway, anybody or any feedback about celstion gold in a DRRI?

babatube

Reaction score
well i kinda want to keep the advantages of the deluxe but get something more beefy and more OD friendly..more mids I guess.
I once had a G12H30 70th anniversary and it was great, but not the 55hz model... why not
celestion vintage 30

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I plugged my tweed princeton into a pair of WGS Veteren 30's in an open-back cab (well, they were installed in my Marshall combo..) and it sounded amazing. You might be surprised. You might not.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Rodolphe,

My favorite Celestion speakers are:

Greenback (25 watts)
G12-65 (65 watts)
G12-H30 (30 watts)

I haven't tried a Creamback but it should be good a great speaker and you need at least a 50 watt speaker in your amp if you plan to dime it.

Six Gun

Reaction score
Yeah man Taxes suck,

I like the Gold in the Deluxe Reverb, my fav speaker in this amp.

I loved Touring through Paris, I had a pad in the 3rd.
Many fun memories.

Latest Threads