Celestion 10" GOLD Alnico Speaker?

joff

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a new 10" speaker for my HIWATT CUSTOM 7 Combo...it is a 7W 'CLASS A' amp...it has the stock 10" Custom Fane 75W speaker at the moment which is Ceramic and is quite bright sounding...i fancy something with a bit more bottom end...the Celestion 10" GOLD Alnico speaker has some good reviews and a sound clip that i have listened to sounds very good...does anyone out there own one (or more) or have some thoughts about them to share?

Thanks in advance,

joff :)

Attachments

CA-8-5799

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a new 10" speaker for my HIWATT CUSTOM 7 Combo...it is a 7W 'CLASS A' amp...it has the stock 10" Custom Fane 75W speaker at the moment which is Ceramic and is quite bright sounding...i fancy something with a bit more bottom end...the Celestion 10" GOLD Alnico speaker has some good reviews and a sound clip that i have listened to sounds very good...does anyone out there own one (or more) or have some thoughts about them to share?

Thanks in advance,

joff :)
Hi, I've got 4 of em in a Mesa Nomad.I had the same amp with 2 twelve Mesa Black Shadows
in it and I could'nt stand it.Personally I love the Alnico's.I've got el84,s and 12 ax,s in it and the range is great.It,s one of the few amps I would'nt sell.

Tachymetres

Reaction score
I replaced the stock speaker in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a 12" Celestion Gold and the sound has greatly improved. Much better string and note separation, much better articulation. In other words, a very accurate sounding speaker. I'd say it is very revealing so mistakes become more apparent. I use this amp for home playing only and don't think I can drive it into distortion without pissing off the family and neighbors so I rely on pedals for that. I don't find the speaker bright at all but instead has a nice, warm sound, especially when I play my Trad Plus with 57 classic pickups. I highly recommend the upgrade.:thumb:

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
I replaced the 10" stock speaker in my Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 1 X 10 combo with the 10" Alnico Gold and I think it's a definite improvement. Definitely takes away some of the brittleness that the stock 10" had. The more it breaks in, the better I like it.

Reaction score
I love the Golds. They are my favourite speaker. Just be careful, they are deep fitting speakers. Measure before you purchase to make sure you have the room in the cabinet.

jlee

Reaction score
I replaced the stock speaker in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a 12" Celestion Gold and the sound has greatly improved. Much better string and note separation, much better articulation. In other words, a very accurate sounding speaker. I'd say it is very revealing so mistakes become more apparent. I use this amp for home playing only and don't think I can drive it into distortion without pissing off the family and neighbors so I rely on pedals for that. I don't find the speaker bright at all but instead has a nice, warm sound, especially when I play my Trad Plus with 57 classic pickups. I highly recommend the upgrade.:thumb:
It loses some of these qualities as it gets really pushed. Bass gets a bit mushier, and the speaker's tone starts to get throatier. At least this was my personal experience with the 12" Golds.

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
I replaced the 10" stock speaker in my Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 1 X 10 combo with the 10" Alnico Gold and I think it's a definite improvement. Definitely takes away some of the brittleness that the stock 10" had. The more it breaks in, the better I like it.
I did the exact same thing in my 5:25!!! A 10" Celestion Gold Alnico.
It was one of the best 10" speakers I've heard.
That speaker brought the best out of the little Boogie.

CA-8-5799

Reaction score
I love the Golds. They are my favourite speaker. Just be careful, they are deep fitting speakers. Measure before you purchase to make sure you have the room in the cabinet.
Yeah,he,s definitely correct about the depth.Also the more I use mine,the better they get.I was'nt much of a believer in that break-in period,but with these it seems to be true.On the 45 watt mesa I'm using it's got an entirely seperate gain channel with a normal/lead channel on the footswitch and a solo button that works on every channel.I also have a gain overdrive pot on the back of the amp so I have no problems at any volume level getting what I want out of them.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Joff, You should take a look at the Weber alnicos. Outstanding speakers and may cost less than the Celestion (not sure as I haven't looked). They offer numerous voicings which can make it more complicated, or help you dial in a better tone.

CA-8-5799

Reaction score
I have a Mesa 50.cal plus with the black shadow plus a Fender hot rod that I use with my ES-366 TDSV for stereo.Now you got ne thinking about trying out one of the 12,s.Think I'll start on the Mesa cause it's got those 5 band graphic equalizers on it.Between using it on the neck or bridge pickup,oughta keep me busy for a while figurng out the range on it.Beats practicing for a while.

joff

Reaction score
Well guys...sorry...but after all your good advice i have sold my HIWATT CUSTOM 7 Combo...i bought a 2009 MESA LSS last month and it is all i need for my home use with its' power settings of 5W, 15W and 30W...but if i need a new 12" speaker for my LSS then i know what to probably get now! :)

Attachments