CC#16 Historic Makeover by Jaeger Guitars

LesPauli

Reaction score
@PageSide84 The whole pickup topic is individual to such a degree that at times I don't even know myself what I like and what not. I threw in the spare set of my OX4 in my other Les Paul and was quite surprised when I immediately noticed a difference. If I were to describe it I'd say the overall response has improved. As soon as I get to mess around with it some more I might be able to elaborate on that. I am sure that Mark will be glad to discuss with you what you are going for in order to deliver the pckups with the according specs. Thx for the kudos. It's really hard NOT to share this project.

@musicmaniac Damn right they are. Feels good ;-)

LesPauli

Reaction score
While nearing its final stages this makeover still has to offer some of its biggest highlights yet. But see for yourself.

BM2 77.jpg

The red filler has been applied and now covers the whole back of the guitar.

Florian also attached another video with the latest update. In this one you can see how the clearcoat changes the color as soon as it hits the red filler.

BM2 79.jpg

The guitar looks quite different now doesn't it. The clearcoat is supposed to sort of melt with the filler to get a 3D effect. This is gonna be clearly visible as soon as the finishing process is done.

BM2 80.jpg

Switching to the front: Florian applied the ground coat to the top. Compared to the Gibson process he does not use waterbased stain here.

The last picture leads to the conclusion that we are going to get some burst pictures next week. I'm really excited to see how the top's gonna turn out!

LesPauli

Reaction score
So while I haven't received a full picture of the sprayed top yet, I can still deliver a little update which hints to what the burst might look like. But see for yourself ;-)

BM2 81.jpg

The caption said: "Bindings neatly scraped"

Obviously there's no clearcoat on the top but I already love where this is going :drool:

Brek

Reaction score
its fascinating to see the maple cap, i wonder how many iterations they did back in the day to decide on the thickness of maple v mahogany. I am always suprised how thick the maple is.

LesPauli

Reaction score
Well hello everyone!
I am pleased to announce that I have received the burst pictures as of today. So without further ado here you go.

BM2 82.jpg
BM2 83.jpg
BM2 84.jpg
BM2 85.jpg
BM2 86.jpg

The first pictures show the top without any clearcoat applied. Depending on the light and the angle of the camera the guitar shows different aspects of all the colors involved. In the last picture we've got the first clearcoat on, which changes the whole thing once again.
As you can clearly see the binding has not been ambered yet. There are also a lot more layers of clearcoat to come which will add even more depth to the guitar. Florian told me that he spent almost the whole weekend studying the various pictures of the real Redeye. Apparently it was quite difficult to catch its true essense among all the different shots. I am already swept away by Florians efforts and the result. This thing will look kickass once it's done!!!

LesPauli

Reaction score
its fascinating to see the maple cap, i wonder how many iterations they did back in the day to decide on the thickness of maple v mahogany. I am always suprised how thick the maple is.
Hey Brek
I know exactly what you mean. I used to think the maple top was just a thin piece of wood for the asthetics. Maybe the first try was so good that they just stuck with exactly that thickness, I honestly wouldn't know XD

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Love it!
I think the red spot near the toggle is larger than it should be... but without the original in hand it’s hard to say..

The browns look great !!

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see ... yes I remember those... and his photography!

I just noticed that there is red shadow under the pick guard ... and a lot of it...

I guess the red shadow near the toggle needs the stuff (plastics) applied to make a better judgment...

Cav

Reaction score
Great job by Florian! Will he made it fade a bit with uv’s then?

LesPauli

Reaction score
I might need to add that I decided against parts shading since we couldn‘t find a good picture where you see the original Redeye stripped. Sure, it would have been a nice little detail but it wasn‘t worth the trouble to me since it can‘t be accurately copied this way.
Florian also checked out Charlie Daughtrys photos to get some more detail. They are really good.
afaik there is gonna be a bit of fading since the color particles Florian uses are not light resistant (which is good).

Last edited:

LesPauli

Reaction score
Just a quick update. I received some more pictures today showing the ambering that was performed.

Amber 1.jpg
Amber 2.jpg
Amber 3.jpg

Last photo was taken early in the morning with natural light.

I cannot stress enough how much I love how it turned out. Some of you might think that the guitar overall lacks a bit of a red hue but to me it looks perfect. After spending quite a lot of time figuring out how the original might look like in real I think Florian has done one hell of a good job capturing the real essence of the Redeye.
As soon as the aging is done and the parts are installed this thing will look killer!

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Its very well done!

Bravo....

NINFNM

Reaction score
Don't know if he will fade it, but for the moment the red spot doesn't look right. Too abrupt transition.
Maybe it would turn better with more red hue overall

Last edited:

LesPauli

Reaction score
Don't know if he will fade it, but for the moment the red spot doesn't look right. Too abrupt transition.
Maybe it would turn better with more red hue overall
I get your point Personally I really like the way he did the transition but I think it's gonna look different anyway once it's all done with the aging etc..

Last edited:

LesPauli

Reaction score
Sorry for the long wait. I've finally received some more updates that are worthy to be mentioned:

Lacqer 1.jpg

After every layer of clearcoat Florian sands it down a bit to keep the lacqer as thin as possible.

Lacquer 2.jpg

In this picture you can how nicely the red filler merges with the clearcoat.

Lacquer 3.jpg

Another shot of the sanded down clearcoat on the top.

Lacquer 4.jpg

This one shows the guitar with all the clearcoats applied. LIke a good slab of meat it needs to hang and dry now :p

Latest Threads