Caveat Emptor: Bizarre “Vintage LP” Being Peddled on Facebook

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I’d post this slice of weirdness here for everyone to see. On one of the Facebook LP groups that specializes in discussions of LP reissues, there an extremely bizarre situation unfolding with a supposed 1953 Les Paul being offered for sale from a seller in Mexico. The guitar is being advertised in a strange way - the seller is only willing to post bizarre, close-up and low quality photos of the guitar. He insists on only divulging more in private messages.

Here’s what he’s publicly posting:

A5AC02C1-8711-4978-8553-962C237F5A61.jpeg

Long story short - once engaged in a private conversation, here’s what he’s willing to share:

67E1BF5D-C783-4BBD-AAD0-28A91AD6DF90.jpeg
58460AFF-7688-4925-AE64-9F0E42DE4BE5.jpeg
885F41BF-B420-445A-B1C7-BA3B86DC8B43.jpeg
516B5E60-22C7-4AB7-92DB-9075468AD2CB.jpeg
099E4BB8-9090-498D-A095-A707AF0522B4.jpeg
A44387AE-DFFD-4B5A-AD74-E913E6D4A90E.jpeg

Best case scenario here is that this is a renecked ‘53 and the seller is legit. However, given his behavior when I asked him about the neck - he told me to go f*** myself - as well as his strange secrecy, I’m concerned that the guitar is perhaps stolen. So, if this guitar is recognizable to anyone, I’m happy to pass along all the info I have on the seller. It’s worth noting that this guitar changes between photos. The photo of the pot shows the guitar in the background with a headstock logo. His closeup photos have no logo. Of course the neck volute, misshaped headstock and lack of wings certainly doesn’t inspire confidence.

The case looks legit, though!

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that as well. Really weird.
Thanks for sharing his replies. I was wondering what he was up to.
The conversation I had with him in private message was incredibly strange. He was being extremely shady. In addition to telling me to f*** myself, he told me that he was taking the guitar to Europe to sell it since everyone in the US was “taking advantage” of his guitar.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
Is he trying to pass it off as a reissue or a 'real' '53.
Either way, he tries to bring that in to the EU without the right paperwork, he won't be selling it to anyone... or bringing it home again.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
The conversation I had with him in private message was incredibly strange. He was being extremely shady. In addition to telling me to f*** myself, he told me that he was taking the guitar to Europe to sell it since everyone in the US was “taking advantage” of his guitar.
sounds like trustworthy seller .. I'm sure he's a fine pillar of his community .. great communicator ... wow

strömsborg

Reaction score
Looks like he has photoshopped the logo away on the headstock close up, what ever his reason could be.

If we assume it's a Gibson neck, what year could it be with a volute, no ears and the strange shape? Did Gibson ever make theim without ears?

judson

Reaction score
tell him you will take it .......and you will meet him and pay in cash,
give the adress to meet and have it be the local police dept...

or tell him it was yours and someone stole it....you hacked his computer and know where he lives and your coming over when he wont suspect it and take it back after kicking his azz

scam the scammer...:rofl:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The tuner holes aren't even straight. Not to mention slightly off-center.

A complete joke of a guitar.

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
tell him you will take it .......and you will meet him and pay in cash,
give the adress to meet and have it be the local police dept...

or tell him it was yours and someone stole it....you hacked his computer and know where he lives and your coming over when he wont suspect it and take it back after kicking his azz

scam the scammer...:rofl:
If you’d like to go down to Mexico to pull this prank, then I won’t stand in your way... ;)

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Is he trying to pass it off as a reissue or a 'real' '53.
Either way, he tries to bring that in to the EU without the right paperwork, he won't be selling it to anyone... or bringing it home again.
He’s claiming it’s a real ‘53 that he’s owned for 40 years. He’s seriously clueless, or a criminal. I still can’t tell - maybe both?

He also told me that the guitar never had a headstock logo, but that a “Luthier friend” put a “sticker” on it. He says he removed the sticker because “I’m not a liar!”

:facepalm: