Catalinbread DLS or Tech 21 British or OCD or Plimsoul or something else?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Marshall sounding pedal. I want to get some good gain out of it but don't want it to be muddy. I'm looking for something that can give me a good OD/Distortion but still has clarity about it and notes don't get lost and lumped together. I have been looking at the Catalinbread DLS, Tech 21 British, OCD and Plimsoul so far but don't have anywhere around here to test any of them out except possibly the British pedal. Would anyone recommend any of these for what I'm looking for? Anything else that might be good instead? I'm playing through a Fender Mustang III so I've got a lot of different amp options to run it through. I was not thrilled with the Marshalls on there and would much rather get the distortion from the pedal and run it through a clean amp. I'm hoping for something flexible. It would be nice to have even a small boost or bluesy OD sound and then push to higher gain but necessarily into Metal territory if that makes sense. I'm on the list for a Tim pedal but that will be at least February before it is done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I have 3 out of 4 of those pedals and all are good. I have the OCD, Plimsoul, and DLS. I'm not a Tech 21 fan but I don't know about that one. Out of those listed I think the Plimsoul fits the bill the best. Also an OCD might be good but the flexibility of the PS might be a good thing. The DLS might not be versatile enough. I have the older version with the switch and it's a good pedal but it's a one trick pony that does the trick very well.

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I have the DLS V2 (they are on V3 for higher gain now). It is a moderate to low gain pedal really, and is more of a pedal (V1 and V2) designed to get "hit" with another pedal in ways. It an earlier plexi cleanish to pushed tone really (to me anyway). It was what I wanted in that vein, but does not sound like it has enough gain for what you want.

Reaction score
Thank you both. I really appreciate it especially the more detail on the DLS. I would much rather know that upfront rather than find out once I get it. Thanks GibsonGuitar1988. I'll look more into the Plimsoul for sure.

I just saw the Radial Hot British pedal online. It's in the same price range. Is it any good? Does the tube in it really make a difference?

Chobey

Reaction score
The Plimsoul is pretty gain-y. I can't seem to get a very "cleanish" tone out've it. I always used the Plimsoul for a more modern prog-rock tone. With that said, I'd go with the OCD. It's a fantastic pedal and a solid starting point for Marshall-esque tone. Really can't go wrong with the OCD, it's hard to get a bad tone out of it!

Also, I'm selling an OCD and Plimsoul :p Let me know if you want them!

Lowdown

Reaction score
Just got the DLS (V.2) and love it so much,it kicked my Hartman Electronics Treble Booster off.

I use it to push the clean channel (Norm.) on an AC15. Set for "Rock" this thing dishes it out in spades. It nails the Plexi tones to a "T".

I love it. Not overbearing,just there. A touch more balls than a TS-9. Very sensitive. It's a keeper.

Latest Threads